Inline elements and image wrap

I often use images inline in text paragraphs and then float/position them to different sides (left, right) of the text block so that the text sort of wraps around them (in a blocky way). There currently doesn’t seem to be a way to create inline elements/components within Elements.

I know this is a stretch, but also being able to actually wrap text around shapes in Elements would be a very nice to have feature - even just using the alpha of an image for the shape to start.

1 Like

Hmmm, cc’ing in @bon for advice on the best way to achieve this. Wondering if we’d need to build a separate component to handle this :thinking:

1 Like

Hopefully just some css. Inline would be used a lot.

I have already thought about doing something with CSS Shapes, and I do think we can do something pretty nice with that. There’s nothing in Elements just yet for that as it’ll take some time to work out all the details, but I think it’s definitely doable :slight_smile:

We can for sure add a new component that allows you to add text and float an image to the left/right, it wouldn’t be difficult to do. However, I do wonder if that would be the best way to solve this. I have some other ideas that might be nicer. We’ll have a chat internally and see what we can come up with.

2 Likes

Ideally it wouldn’t required a different component. I think the text/paragraph component and the image component are by far going to be the most complex and critical components in Elements.

Asking users to learn and remember which of many image or text components to use when and where is only going to cause confusion. If it’s at all possible to have a single text and a single image component that can adapt depending on context/format/etc that would definitely be preferable.

1 Like