Installing PHPMyAdmin

(dnim) #1

Hi - I really hope this is a mickey mouse question…

I just did some updates to a legacy site i first created about 6-8 years ago. I don’t directly manage the client’s server (but I have access to it).

The updates I did included adding some Global Import content… which converted the pages to PHP.

After upload, none of my changes were showing… got confused (and a bit worried). Dug around, noted the change to .php pages… and then found that PHPMyAdmin is not installed on the server.

As I have back-end access it is no big deal for me to install it… I assume this is the issue…

What do I need to be aware of or concerned with if I do that (install PHP)?

Alternatively I could just make my changes to the site files using a different tool and avoid the PHP…

any help/advice appreciated.

thanks
d

(Joe Martin) #2

Sounds more like the .html files are still on the server…check that first.

(dnim) #3

HI - yes, the main index.html is still there (haven’t checked other pages). The index.php is there as well.

But do I need to install php on the server? Or just delete the index.html?
d

(Jan Fuellemann) #4

Just delete the index.html

(dnim) #5

Yeah… that worked! Thanks for the help.

Follow-up… all the sub pages still have both index.html and index.php files in the folders. the root index.php is pointing properly, so all the updates are working… do I need to worry about those legacy index.html pages? Since Rapidweaver doesn’t delete them when I “Republish All files” or do an update, do I need to worry about them floating around in there?

d

(Jan Fuellemann) #6

Just make sure the index files in the subpages are .php files in your RW project (so that you do not accidentally delete the .html files), then delete the .html files. It pays off in the long rund to keep an inventory well maintained…

(dnim) #7

That’s what I was thinking… not necessarily an immediate conflict with those legacy files, but i really hate loose ends floating around, especially if they are loose ends that could create a conflict down the road.

Thanks guys for very quick responses.

(Doug Bennett) #8

Just an FYI
PHPMyAdmin is a utility that is used for MySQL database configuration and has nothing to do with PHP being installed on the server.
I know you got the problem fixed, but other folks may find this post and think they need PHPMyAdmin to have PHP working.

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.