Markdown and links

Ah, I see. So just publish to a local folder and use ftp then.

Thank you :slight_smile:

So once I upload the RW file, it will produce all my individual pages that I see within RW when I designed my site?

Noā€¦ you have to publish to a local folder & then upload that content.

Look at your publishing settings

Ok Scott. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m quite understanding what you mean. Sorry about that :frowning:
Iā€™m missing something between my RW file being saved on my hard drive and the ā€œpublishing to a local folderā€ part.

Iā€™m calling it a night atm, but will touch base again tomorrow evening sometime.

I appreciate your time snd help.

RapidWeaver stores your project as a single file called a project file. Itā€™s actually a special kind of folder called a package that looks like a single file inside of macOS.

But that project file is in a format that only RapidWeaver can use. RW uses that file to generate the HTML, PHP, CSS, and Javascript used to make the website.

Ever time you select preview, use the built-in simulator or publish, RapidWeaver regenerates the web page(s).

So you need to ā€publishā€ your site either locally (to a folder on the Mac) or to your remote host in order to create the files needed to be used outside of RapidWeaver.

When you publish RapidWeaver will create the index.html (or index.php) files along with all the supporting files needed to use the pages.

If the gallery pages are already on the server you can still use RW to publish directly to the server, RW deletes nothing when it publishes. If a file of the same name exists it overwrites it. Otherwise, itā€™s nondestructive just adding new files.

2 Likes

Ok Scott, I took a look at the Publishing setup and it asks for my server details. Then I have a dropdown for Other Methods - is that where I specify ā€œLocal Folderā€?
And what exactly happens when one publishes to a local folder? Can this be done at any point during site creation, or only at then end when itā€™s all done and ready to upload?

Also, would it be through this dialog that Iā€™d have the option to upload to my host server? Although Iā€™ll likely opt to upload via FTP.

Anything info would help immensely :slight_smile:

Yes, thatā€™s where you set up publish to a local folder.

You can do it anytime you want, it just writes the files to a local folder, but be sure you have the latest if you are going to upload them :wink:

This only creates the files locally, it doesnā€™t not ftp them to the server because the destination is set to local folder - hopefully that makes sense

1 Like

Hi, thank you :slight_smile:

I think I get it.

So to be sure, can I choose to publish it in the same folder that my RW file resides now? Itā€™s together with all my other image gallery folders that Iā€™ll be populating and linking my web pages to.

And by publishing to a local folder, I guess I donā€™t need to enter my host server details

In that dialog box?

If itā€™s useful, hereā€™s a video going over publishing. It is for Rapidweaver 7 but the settings are virtually all the same. Itā€™s starting at the 6:07 mark: https://youtu.be/-xXYoUo7Ihc?t=367

Local publishing starts at about the 12:45 mark of the video above.

2 Likes

You can I publish to a sub-folder I name export.

In addition to publishing to a local folder, you can also just use Export from the File menu. Publishing to a local folder is probably better if youā€™re going to regularly generating the files for the server and manually FTPing them to the server, as it remembers when you want to export to. They both generate the same files.

I tend not to like putting my generated HTML files in the same folder as the project. A subfolder named something like ā€œexportā€ like Scott does is a good way, though. Since the generated files can be recreated at any time, and sometimes itā€™s nice to have a clean, empty folder to publish to, you may find yourself deleting everything out of that folder. Having it all in itā€™s own folder is handy and keeps you from accidentally deleting the project file!

1 Like

Alright great.
Iā€™m going to set that up later and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Thank you , everyone!
I exported locally and will likely upload to the server through FTP when the time comes.
Hopefully this will work out :slight_smile:

Thank you, Doug.

That makes things clearer - now I better understand whatā€™s up with that lone RW file.

I published to my same local folder where I have my project and now I see all the individual files created.
So when I upload to my server and go live, the RW package does not need to be uploaded also, correct?

Correct. Only the files that are published in your local folder need to be uploaded.

Howeverm you can upload the RW project file as a way to keep a backup of it. You need it to make any changes later and having additional backups is always good.

Hi all.

Iā€™m hoping to go live with my new RW site imminently.

I changed my hosting plan with Go Daddy and as such am no longer on the server I was on until now. I will be on a C-Panel server and I got SSL certification at the same time.

They set everything up on their end for SSL, now Iā€™d like to know if thereā€™s anything special I need to do on my end with my RW pages. Does anything change when I upload?

Thank you!

Under General settings, change your web address from http: to https:

If you entered your website address in publishing settings, then make the same change there.

Thank you Don! Thatā€™s it? Great news, thought Iā€™d need to learn more lol.

Well, I assumed that they setup redirects correctly, and since itā€™s GoDaddy, thatā€™s not a good assumption on my part.

They have non-SSL redirecting to SSL, which is good. However, you can go to https://vroomfoto.com and https://www.vroomfoto.com. Iā€™m not sure which one you are using, but the one youā€™re not (www or non-www) should redirect to the one you are. You want people to end up an at single domain for any website.

Google treats them as different websites, so youā€™ll end up reducing the effectiveness if everyone doesnā€™t end up at the same site.

Oh, okā€¦donā€™t remember that being brought up yesterday.

Iā€™m FTP-ing my site folders/files as we speak using my FTP app for now. So in a couple of minutes Iā€™ll be able to try visiting my new site - hoping it all works.

Question: I have my resources set to copy - do I need to upload my resources folder nonetheless? Or I can just keep it locally?