My new website in files ... doesn't work in rapidweaver 6 format now

I spent months working on rapidweaver 6 website and it is showing on web.
Now today I go to open it and it says that I don’t have rapidweaver 6.
I went back to my backups and downloaded sofware.
None of new work shows up there.
But there is a filefolder on my desk that says it has all the work I’ve done
How do I get this back into the format?

Kelly, to allow us to help you, please would you advise whether each of these eight statements is true or false:

1 - You built your site in RapidWeaver 6 originally [T/F]
2 - You have not changed computer/hardware [T/F]
3 - You have not changed Operating System (Mac OS… Yosemite, El Capitan etc ) [T/F]
4 - You do still have RapidWeaver 6 installed on your system [T/F]
5 - You can see RapidWeaver 6 in your /Applications folder [T/F]
6 - You do still have your original RapidWeaver Project files [T/F]
7 - Your original RapidWeaver files are in the format used by RapidWeaver 6 [T/F]
8 - You have not downloaded or installed RapidWeaver 7 [T/F]

1. T
  2. T
  3. T
  4. T It was not. Don’t know what happened. Took back-up copy and reinstalled.
  5. T now I can
  6. F They are in a folder on my desktop
  7. T (although I tried this morning … thinking it might work… and did try to use trial.)

Kelly - thanks; good start :slight_smile:

One or two things to think about:

4 - When you say you took a ‘back-up copy and reinstalled’, did you run the installer of RW 6, or just drag and drop the RW application to your /Applications folder? The former is essential… it should be fully re-installed.

6 - regardless of where they are (desktop etc), do you still have the RW Project files which you worked with, and which worked before?

Make backups of your RW Project files - after you’ve performed a proper installation of RapidWeaver 6 - if necessary after deleting any residual files from previous ‘half’-installs.

Then try double-clicking one of those RW Project files. What happens?

thank you Marc

Did not run installer to reinstall. Don’t know how to do that.???

And the weird thing is it shows 6 is installed. I can call up the window with projects but current website project
is not there.

yes I have files for that website in folders on my desk top

Kelly

Kelly,

You should run the installer that you received/downloaded when you first bought RapidWeaver 6. That is essential to put all the files it relies on in the right places… your projects need to ‘know’ where everything is that they will need.

Make backups of your RW Project files - after you’ve performed a proper installation of RapidWeaver 6 - if necessary after deleting any residual files from previous ‘half’-installs.

Then try double-clicking one of those RW Project files. What happens?

I cannot find that installer. Or receipts … though I did buy it.

Now it shows software is working. There is a project window. It shows old websites with name of current website but in fact they are very old versions.

On my desk top sits a file folder filled with current files for website that is published.

How do I get those files into Rapidweaver format

And do you charge for your services. I could use some help

Wha

Kelly,

Let’s stick with RW 6, the application/software itself, for the moment.

(Please note that the text in blue in these messages is always a link to a resource that you may need; it’s to be single-clicked on.)

I can’t help you with your license, but - if this page doesn’t help - I’m sure RealMac will.

Suggest that you do a completely fresh installation of RapidWeaver 6, using the latest version of RW 6 for which you have a valid software license. You can get the file to run the installer here. Keep that installer file - perhaps in the same place as you install RW 6, that is, in your computer’s /Applications folder.

Then you should delete any old files that belong to RapidWeaver, and delete any of its old/former ‘partner’ files (usually at various places in your user library. A good app to do this is called AppDelete. Strongly suggest using the Archive process of AppDelete, not the immediate delete/trash one!

By that stage you will have a clean install of a working version of RapidWeaver 6.

In the intermediate to long term, I suggest you put all your RW Project files - that is, the ‘sites’ with pages which you have worked on/edited/created yourself into a folder at the top level of your user account - typically named ‘Sites’ - so that you always have them to hand when you need them.

I’m not sure what it is you’re seeing on your desktop. Maybe the published html pages generated by (an earlier version of) RapidWeaver? For the moment let them be. The first priority is for you to get a working, properly installed, version of RapidWeaver 6. Please let us know how you get on with that by following the directions above. Then we can move on to restoring your Project files and getting you up and running again with them.