Ive been a rapidweaver users for many years. my server changed something and now i am having problems download updated files. i have tried so many things that my server has suggested that now i have tons of the same file with so many sub catagories…help please. will pay.
Maybe you’ve tried this already, but I would completely empty my server (using a FTP program like Cyberduck or Yummy), make sure I tidy the resources in my RW project and republish my project. If your RW project is clean, this would reflect on your server.
Back it all up first!
If you have a simple RW site with no CMS data or any other additional files then a clean sweep and replace can work but beware if you have any linked files or content in odd places that could get lost if it’s not part of the RW project.
What’s the site address?
As Paul @pmjd remarked backup everything first.
Did you get the publishing issue fixed? Before I’d worry about cleaning up I’d make sure that the problem has been figured out.
The site is sackettridge.com
When I transfer any file over to my server is it doesn’t go where it’s suppose to. It goes deep in
I’m so frustrated. Ready to learn Wordpress
It is not fixed. Spend most of yesterday trying. My server feels it’s a problem with rapid weaver I have tried many things. But don’t enough.
Looks like you have your site somehow integrated with a thrid party ecommerce product (www.mcssl.com), so things are far from simple.
As has been said before, the first thing to do is make sure you have your site files (on the server) backed up, and your rapid weaver project backed up.
I’ve just been on your site and added a couple of things to the cart and that appears to work, so it would help if you could be clear about what the problem is, and what you are trying to do when the problem occurs. For example, are you trying to add an additional page, or modify an existing page?
When you say you transfer a file to a server and it doesn’t go where it is supposed to, is that a new page in your project, a new cart item, are you publishing through Rapidweaver, or exporting your site and using a ftp program to upload to your server (or something else)?
I can tell you are frustrated but for someone here to take the time to help you your are going to have to be more specific about the problem, if its a page location problem whats the path you are trying to load the page to, and where is it actually going when you publish?
I am making changes to an existing page. Something I do all the time. I use the ftp built into rapid weaver. My path was public_html. But suddenly the file I transfer is not going live. It is making these sub sub sub categories. I have tried giving no path names, direct path names, my website name. The last test I did it took a path that I had given a previous file. Help. My site currently seems ok but I am not able to make any changes because it doesn’t go where it should. I have do many files now on my server am not sure what to delete
I’m going to assume you are using RW8, if not let us know what version you are using:
- In Settings > Publishing what is the Path set to (may also help to know who you host with)?
- In the page you are modifying in General Settings what’s the Folder setting (if any) and whats the filename (see image)?
sounds way complicated …have so many duplicate files that not sure what is current
So you’re hosting with siteground - you’ll need to check with them what the publishing path should be, because to me the Path should have something in it, but I don’t know what that should be as I don’t have an account with site ground.
Also, I would expect the filename of the page you are publishing to be named index.html, and that should be published to …/show/index.html
With my old server it was index.html. With SiteGround they told me public_html
Since the issues. They have had me try many things. And it seems like rapid weaver is remembering all the paths I tried even though I have it removed it. I am going to try to make a backup and go in and remove files I think are old or duplicates. I am terrified of screwing things up. At least now I am visible on line and doing business. I just can’t make any changes
I think you are confusing the Path (where the files get uploaded) and the Filename (what that file is called).
Siteground are telling you to put your files in a Directory that is called public_html.
The filenames of the pages you publish should be called index.html (or index.php for things like contact forms), on your site you have set up a folder structure to organise things logically, which is good. If you don’t do this RW will create the folder structure for you calling the folders page-2, page-3 etc.
The attached image show you what happens when I’ve uploaded some test pages, one page I’ve specifically named a folder called ‘test’ the other 2 pages I haven’t put any folder names in.
It sounds like you need to go back and revisit your folder structure so you understand what you originally set up, so you can make sure the filename of the page you are uploading is named correctly and is going in the correct folder.
Once you’ve understand this it will be clearer what files and folders can be deleted too tidy things up - but make sure you have backups before starting that process.
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.