Newbie looking for advice on buying stuff this weekend

Ok. Why is that? I kind of love both written books and video tutorials

There are a few differences between RW 5 and RW 7, but the overall basic talk of the book still applies today.

Aha I thought so. I am Swedish but live and work here in the US since 10 years so my English far from perfect!

I kind of bought RW7 based up on the fact that it was a MAC app. Easier to understand. I love DevonThink too and now I have the task to take care of a homepage made in WP but hope I can buy software so it can be changed in RW instead. I am a total newbie and I really appreciate all your help!

I think Scott was referring to stacks and plug-ins as being totally different. Plug-ins add functionality to RW, whereas stacks require the Yourhead Stacks plug-in. RW comes with a number of stock plug-ins (contact form, markdown, html, etc.) and others are available such as Formloom, Rapidcart, Rapidbot, Sitemap Pro, Pluskit etc.

1 Like

Hats off to @zeebe for not diving in with Joe Workman’s sale, so I’ll do it for him :wink:

The Foundation framework and stacks are a great bargain if it’s still available.

Themeflood have some great looking cheap themes to start you off as well.

1 Like

Go slow, don’t get hung up on the sales. You can spend a lot of money on RapidWeaver add-ons and end up with a lot of stuff you’ll never use.
I would download the free trial version of stacks, and if it goes on sale this weekend buy it. You’re the best bet would be to keep checking your head’s tweeter in the post above.
You might want to look for a theme, many themes are on sale, so if you find one that fits what you’re looking for then buy it.
Floodtheme’s has a large selection, but again make sure it’s something you’ll think you’ll use.
All of stuff including Floodtheme on this post have free trial versions, although you don’t have a lot of time to get the sale price.

1 Like

Hi, @BasilFawlty , I would recommend stuff from Will Woodgate @willwood, great stacks and themes and impeccable customer service. Will is always available to help. See some of his websites and check it out.
Very good discounts too …

RWExtras
seyDesign
ThemeFlood
Stacks4Stacks
RapidSearchPro

2 Likes

ok thanks! Will spend some time today and tomorrow to try to LEARN the app itself! I have a friends homepage to play with but that is constructed in WordPress and I am not sure if it is like Pages/Word - that you can open his homepage, change it and then update it on the server again. Or if you have to start to make a new homepage from scratch. Time will tell! Like this forum, seems to an active one.

You can not modify a wordpress page with rapid weaver

1 Like

RWExtras
seyDesign
ThemeFlood
Stacks4Stacks
RapidSearchPro2

Thanks for the recommendation TINO, without fail I will take a look at these topics, themes and stacks :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ok thanks. Reading up and watching videos trying to get into what RW can do and can not do.

Hi great to have you with us!

Like it was said already I also second to get stack called Stacks from YourHead.
Perhaps also get a nice template from discount and work from there, like from NickCates etc.

Now, all good things do not cost. There are several free and well-made tutorials for RW7.

https://rapidweavercommunity.com/tutorials/free

Then again perhaps, might be a good idea to invest paid tutorials, and why not if you enjoy learning that way. https://rapidweavercommunity.com/tutorials

Thanks! Smart. Suppose I can pay for a month or two and download the videos I need. Does not seem that you can buy them. Saw some on Youtube as well but not sure what is worth the time. Will spend tomorrow afternoon and evening to figure out!

As far as I understand RW is just a start, then I need to get the “content” from third party sellers. Like the inspiration library at RealMacs homepage.

Here ya go,

http://post.yourhead.com/w/EtS4lT892AOKFur6g5LOyA/5Z2ZZgTnGrDzWZp3uqBKjg/QeT892w6x3A8IcOgEuALWcdA

AHHHH! Thanks! Without knowing I think Blocks and Stacks 3 is what I need for a simple homepage design. THANKS!!!

Keep in mind Blocks is not responsive. It’s better to use Stacks and stacks for responsive sites.

Ok. So just Stacks 3 then. If I understand correct, blocks makes it easier to make a homepage with just dragging and dropping. What is the difference between a responsive and an unresponsive HomePage?

Basically it’s when a site is designed with code so you can use the same page(s) for desktop, tablet and mobile devices. The theme’s framework automatically configures the site for the various device screen sizes, such as layout and navicon for mobile navigation, etc…

Here’s a bit more:

2 Likes

Aha ok! I see. And nowadays maybe 33% of all Homepages are read on an iOS device or Android. So important.

Probably closer to 50% of visitors are on mobile devices.