Off topic: scanning and OCR on iPad or MacBook Pro?

Been trying to figure this out for a while - perhaps someone in the community could make a recommendation:
Is there an app or Apple software (with no monthly fee) that will allow me to scan and OCR text so I can drop it into Pages? Thanks, in advance.

This online OCR works really well - better than the Mac apps I’ve tried: http://www.onlineocr.net
From their site:
OnlineOCR.net is a free OCR service in a “Guest mode” (without registration) that allows you to convert 15 images per hour. Registration will give you ability to convert multipage PDF documents and other features.

The best Mac app I’ve found is Condense, which I think is free. Condense is good for smaller documents, and is reasonably accurate.

I’d also be interested in knowing if anyone has found a very good OCR app for Mac.

1 Like

I use FineReader OCR Pro for digitising old books. Expensive, but a real heavy lifter.

1 Like

Like @OldGreyThing, I use ABBYY Finereader OCR Pro. In fact, I’ve been using it for years (in various forms, including the Windows version and Finereader Express) for my publishing business. It is by far the best OCR program I’ve come across.

Thumbs up to FineReader… I’ve been converting my library to eBooks and FineReader is a big part of that. Yes, expensive, but well worth it if you plan on doing a lot of conversions. FineReader will convert to several formats.

Excellent. Thank you. Leaning towards ABBYY OCR FineReader Pro for the MacBook Pro.
“Problem” solved!

PS I own Adobe Acrobat X Pro (10) but they went to a subscription fee based model for upgrades a while ago and left me hanging. Adobe made their decision and I make mine, Yup. Bye Dob.

Another option could be to use an online service like Ocr converter, I’ve found the results to be quite reliable, however, sometimes it does fail, but that depends on the quality of the image file you are trying to convert.

1 Like

Yeah, this one is good you are talking about. But there has some other tools as well which also helps to convert files in different formats like- DjUv to PDF, Split PDF, PDF to JPG, PDF to Word, Mobi to PDF etc.

The other piece of software which I cannot recommend too highly is VueScan. This scanning software works with almost any scanner and offers many useful settings, including the ability to save multiple scans to a single PDF. It will do OCR, too, but I haven’t tried that. I bought the Pro version at least a decade ago which means I get free updates for life. Perhaps the best thing about it is that it is that you don’t have to learn a new program when you get a new scanner. I use it with my Epson 4990 and HP Envy 4500 and it is far better than the scanner software which comes with them. https://www.hamrick.com

1 Like