Orphaned Files in a Project File

I often have the problem that resources I had deleted from the resources folder remain in the depths of the project file. Here is an example:

The resources folder seems to be empty, but in the depths of the project file the resources I have deleted before remain and inflate the size of the project file (and maybe still interfere with some functions). This project file has a size of nearly 900 MB, but actually it should not be much bigger than about 100 MB.

1 Like

@dan Will this change in RW9?

1 Like

Yes. This sort of thing happens to me, too, at each export. I have mentioned this in various posts over the years, but never got a plausible answer with a reason or a remedy.

I do not use Resources, except for the site logo. But in published ā€˜filesā€™ folder on every page, I notice unwanted images and icons that come from stacks and/or sample projects ā€“ even though they were deleted from my projects, or were never used in the first place.

This, of course, is unnecessarily bloating up published site and takes a lot of time and patience to remove unwanted files after exporting.

BTW, I used to delete those unwanted files manually. You can imagine what kind of pain-in-the-neck that was. Now, I use the free utility EasyFind from Devon Technologies to locate and delete them all at once.

3 Likes

The left overs in the files folder that is on every page, I believe is a stacks (@isaiah) thing. Deleted items in the main Resources folder would be a Rapideeaver issue(@dan).

Although the symptoms look similar, I think these are two different issues with two different vendors.

3 Likes

@dan , @isaiah , Guys, could you, please, respond to pinging? After the weekend, maybe?

1 Like

RapidWeaver will remove the files/images from the project file when they are removed from the ā€œResources Managerā€. Iā€™m not sure why you have those orphaned resourcesā€¦ They could be from another page type.

RapidWeaver will upload all the files given to it by other plugins/stacks. Itā€™s up to those plugins to remove the unused assets.

If you could find a way to simply replicate the issue weā€™d be able to look into some more. I tried to reproduce it here and couldnā€™t do it, all images got added and removed correctly.

1 Like

I have seen something like this with Stacks before. I believe I filed a report with @isaiah a while back. If you provide @dan and @isaiah with a project file exhibiting the problem I bet they can get to the bottom of it.

1 Like

I often have that problem with projects and I do not think that the problem is caused by some some stacks. To which address can I send a project file?

I had a similar issue, every single project had a couple images in there from a older project. For me, it was a template. Every project automatically inherited the images used in that template (which I have created accidently)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.