Parallax & Chrome - They don't like each other (when cloudflare is around) [SOLVED]

@zeebe, no no no that’s a red herring. Can you explain to me how you think that has any relevance to the way the site is generated with RapidWeaver?

1 Like

Never said it had any relevance to the way the site is generated with RapidWeaver. Just saying that if a person is having issues with fixed backgrounds in Chrome. It has to do with certain plugins being added to chrome breaking it and even removing said plugins do not fix. The only fix I have seen work is for a person reinstall Chrome. I have never seen reinstalling OS X for the issue, but @tav has dealt with the issue a lot more than me. Again, this has NOTHING to do with RapidWeaver itself, but fixing an issue on someone’s computer when they say it does not work.
Hope that makes sense.

I’m just going to chip in here, because there’s some worrying advice that people with similar issues might read, and say that suggesting people re-install browsers and operating systems because of a rendering issue on a website is absolutely misguided.

Take a step back and imagine you’re viewing another website, you see a similar rendering issue, and the site owner suggests that you re-install your browser and/or operating system :joy:

I do agree that a user could have some mischievous Chrome plugins installed that could affect the rendering of a webpage — but the likelihood of that being the issue is small.

Anyway, having looked at the site, I’d suggest that the issue was CloudFlare’s attempts at caching/loading the background image was messing with how the Parallax javascript was initially attempting to calculate the required dimensions to display it full screen (probably because the image was being loaded in a “non-standard” fashion by CloudFlare).

The reason the image would “pop” to the correct placement after you resized the window would be because the image had then be correctly/fully loaded, meaning the javascript could correctly calculate the dimensions.

Note: this is an educated guess, I could be wrong, but that’s what seemed to be the issue to me.

I would never suggest to someone that they re-install/upgrade an entire operating system, or browser, because of a display issue like this. It may have fixed issues for you, or your users, before, but that would have been coincidence. There would have been deeper issues with the webpage and how it was attempting to display content.

1 Like

I would like to make it clear that I absolutely did not say that. I clearly said that the problems reported were on the machines that were generating the site. There were NO rendering differences for viewers - everyone saw the same. The same project published from a machine without the mischievous plugins worked perfectly.

Clearly this was a different issue related to CloudFlare but the others were not.

1 Like

Wait… so now it’s “mischievous” plugins for what, Chrome? Even though Chrome isn’t used by RapidWeaver to generate the code? @tav I appreciate your desire to help here, but you’re spreading misleading, destructive recommendations that users simply don’t need to follow.

I’m closing this thread to prevent other users getting this conflated.

Thanks,

—Nik

1 Like