RapidWeaver - native CMS?

Having bought two CMS plugins for RW (Dropkick CMS and EditsPRO), I’m wondering why at this point in RW development, this functionality doesn’t already ship with the program. WordPress and the other CMS have it - a big reason to choose them over RW when it comes to making sites for clients that may need to make edits (change prices in a menu for example). Dropkick didn’t work for me because the .htaccess rewrite conflicted with the shopping cart program, and EditsPRO conflicts with the MP3 player. :-/

1 Like

A lot of us have been pushing for it for years and years. They just never develop it. Don’t know why…

Thanks Flash. I just made my own CMS using WordPress as the back end - here are the steps for anybody interested:

Install WordPress ->
wp-config to get DB credentials ->
wp_posts is the field that has the data ->
paste an include to your script (Perl, PHP etc) in RapidWeaver where you want the editable text ->
give client the WordPress login/pass and page they can edit.

Done!

Example includes:

.shtml
<!–#include virtual="/includes/example.pl" -->

.php
<?php require ‘/includes/example.php’ ; ?>

Did I mention this CMS is FREE?!!

• No licenses
  • No subscriptions
  • Use on as many sites as you want!

wow! Again? Can you clarify what you are doing here? I mean, install wordpress on the same domain as the rapidweaver site?

so pastes this include code on the RW PAGE (not general code settings for entire site?)

then add a text stack? Then the client can login?

Thanks for your support.

Hi Dominick,
This is a NO STACK solution. :slight_smile:
Just grab the data from the WordPress DB in MySQL and paste the include calls in your RapidWeaver site wherever you want.

Did you mention you still use bloody WP?

2 Likes

Hi Jannis,
I like WordPress, so what? But if you don’t, you can go direct to MySQL or use some other CMS for the back end. WordPress is not required.

I agree Steve. And imagine the amount of support requests RMS would get for a built-in CMS.

3 Likes

There is no reason why adding CMS hooks or capability should end up in a lot of support needed - IF implemented well.

E.g. Blocs App has inbuilt support for 4 CMS solutions baked into it and is created and maintained by just one developer.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m just going on the amount of support requests we see here for RW as it is now, without a CMS.

Exactly. Imagine a RW with, for example, a PulseCMS or OctoberCMS text or image function where all the configuration is taken care of within RW. You as the user, just drag the CMS text or image box.

1 Like

The next Pulse CMS integration version will be better and easier to configure.

4 Likes

Hi Dominick,
You don’t actually even need a DB to see how this approach works, just a text file. For example, FTP (or use cPanel) a text file to your server and then edit it online using Brackets or some other IDE.

<?php include '/includes/example.php' ; ?>

However, using WordPress for the back end offers many more options, especially for clients:

• Version control (if they make a mistake, they can go back to a previous revision)
  • Easy to use editor
  • No FTP

To preserve HTML formatting, I recommend installing the “Always Edit In HTML” plugin from the repository.

I am looking forward to using it. I purchased in advance, as I am convinced about the possibilities and ease-of-use.

2 Likes

I’ve posted some demo files for the includes here:

I’ve used a few of the available CMS over the years including Dropkick, Armadillo, Pulse and Webyep but in my opinion Total CMS from Joe Workman stands head and shoulders above them all for sheer power and versatility. I know it costs more than most but it is worth every penny spent.

3 Likes