Recent projects when in osx menu but not in rw6 menu

HI All sorry if this is a dumb question.
I have look in the forum but cannot seem to find an answer.
On upgrading to RW6 I lost recent projects from file or project windows.
I checked the osx window which is showing a .rw6 project in that menu but not in RW6.
also I have lost all local links to resources i have re exported the site to the default folder but have
had no luck in these files locally relinking.
are these issues potentially related ( directory structure) or seperate.
Is there a multi relink all files button other than just deleting all resources and dragging back and creating folder structures again from the source folders

@lightspeed,

No question here is ever ‘dumb’. We’ll always do our best to help :smile:

I’m perhaps the ‘dumb’ one because I’m not 100% clear what’s going on in your particular case.

Would it be too much trouble for you to expand a little on your prob, please?

When you upgraded from which version to which version?

Did you follow the recommended upgrade procedure: the file structure changed!

Change machines, update RW, update the OS?

Maybe try to open ‘old’ format files directly in an entirely new RW installation?

Where do you notice the behaviours that’s not right.

More details and I’m sure you’ll get a fix soon. Thanks!

1 Like

@MarkSealey, very good places to start and questions that need answers.:+1:

@lightspeed, are your resources on a network drive, thumb drive, external drive, dropbox or other file service?

There was an issue with RW 6.3.4 losing stuff, but that is explained in the forum on what to do for that here.

6.3.6 GM (Beta software version - Gold Master) has fixed a bunch of errors and issues, it can be downloaded here.

Brad

1 Like

You can keep RW project files (which under RW6 have the file extension .rw6 ) anywhere you like. I keep them in (appropriately-named subdirectories of) my Sites directory.

But do you still have the resources themselves… graphics? What else?

That Export directory is a place to keep a site which you publish with files like those which RW itself uploads to the server. You can use the Export directory manually to ftp files to your web server and/or view them locally - usually by dragging the site’s home page to a browser.

It may well contain resources. But it’s best not to link to anything there. One example of good practice is to keep a directory called something like ‘assets’, or ‘resources’, or even ‘text’, ‘images’ at the same level in your Finder’s file structure as your RW project folder. RW won’t touch them there. The Export folder/directory is not (necessarily) permanent… files in the Export folder will probably get overwritten the next time you Export. It’s the output of the operation.

You need to set up an Import area - for files you are going to use in the project. And use those files from there.

[quote]are these issues potentially related ( directory structure) or seperate.Is there a multi relink all files button other than just deleting all resources and dragging back and creating folder structures again from the source folders
[/quote]
If you have actually lost nothing, then your best plan is to manually relink all your resources files into your new RW6 project - provided you have upgraded properly. Your first post, if I’m not mistaken, hints at something else going wrong. Hope not! Once you give us more details, we can surely help more. Good luck!