RW6 "damaged"—Waaaa?

If you think the rw6 project file is still around on your hard drive then check out this post on how to find it with Finder.

So then it sounds like there is something that probably can’t work with RW 6…
Can you open both RW5 and RW6 and cut and paste from one file to the other? That, at least, will help you with rebuilding.

How stupid of me. It appears that I can rebuild from opening it in the RW6 Projects Window. I just wonder what is wrong that it doesn’t act like all the others.

Thanks much. Be well. Signing off.

1 Like

Yep, the only one that shows up is the one I can’t open from the desktop.

See other message below. And many thanks.

There are 3 ways to open a file on a Mac:

1. Double click the file from the hard drive.
  2. Choose file > open from the program.
  3. Drop it onto the program icon or an alias of the program icon.

Sometimes when you have a new program or new version of a program, you might need to open it from the program and save it with the new extension i.e.: RW5 vs RW6, before you can open it directly from the hard drive. I bet once you save that file as RW6, you’ll have no problem opening it like the others… unless there is an outdated plug-in, which could always be a culprit.

Well, I did exactly that, just now. Opened it from Projects Window and saved it. Now it shows up both on the desktop (where I still can’t open it) and in the Projects Window as a stacks icon, instead of the purple RW icon. Eeee-yi!

So how do I figure out if I have an outdated plug-in?

Don’t worry about icons. They changed at some point. Can’t remember which version. When you saved, did you do “save”, or “save as”? Try “save as”, if not, and again, if you end up not being able to open that file, copy and paste to a new file. It’s not ideal, but a way around it.

The question about outdated plug-ins has been going around recently… search for it in the forum. I’m not sure there was a solution.

Ok, did a"save as" and changed name. Doing that puts an icon on the desktop (a stacks icon). Still can’t open it from there. CAN open it from the Projects Window. Another clue maybe: I just started a new file for building a Web site. Titled it Play Around. When I saved it, it showed up on the desktop with a stacks icon, BUT I can open it from both there AND the Projects Window.

Just opened and saved another of the upgraded Web site files in RW6, and it also turned into a stacks icon on the desktop, BUT I CAN open it!!! Which makes me lean toward the outdated plug-in idea for the “problem” file. I don’t even know where my plug-ins are. So will go about learning some more tomorrow and check the forum.

Thanks so much for your help.

1 Like