Set featured image?

In Wordpress, you can ‘set featured image’ for a page.

This tells Google which image is proposed to represent the page in Google search results.

How can I achieve similar in RW ?

The results I’m getting are just pot - luck . Sometimes I get an image in the results - sometimes I get the one I want and sometimes I get no image in the results

Be brilliant if anybody knows the secret here

Many thanks

Jol

Hi @jbob,

You can do this using structured data or meta tags (or even better: both).

Say that your website is example.com, and the image you’d like to select is example.com/my-image.jpg, this is how you do it:

Using structured data:

1. Open your project in RapidWeaver, and navigate to this section:

2. Copy the code below:

<script type="application/ld+json">
{
    "@context": "https://schema.org",
    "@type": "WebSite",
    "url": "http://example.com/",
    "image": "http://example.com/my-image.jpg"
    }
}
</script>
  1. Paste that code in the spot that you navigated to in step 1:

Don’t forget to alter the URL and the URL to your image to your own, and not my example.

1. Re-publish your project.

Note: there’s a way to give each page within your project a different image. Just repeat the process above, but instead of pasting it in the spot from step 4, you instead paste it in each page’s own HEAD section. you can find this here:

Using meta tags:

1. Open your project in RapidWeaver, and navigate to this section:

2. Copy the code below:

<meta property="og:image" content=“http://example.com/my-image.jpg"> 
<meta property="og:description" content=“Description of what’s in your image goes here"> 
<meta property="og:url" content="http://www.example.com">
<meta property="og:title" content=“You’re site’s title goes here"> 
  1. Paste that code in the spot that you navigated to in step 1:

Don’t forget to alter the URL and the URL to your image to your own, and not my example.

1. Re-publish your project.

Note: there’s a way to give each page within your project a different image. Just repeat the process above, but instead of pasting it in the spot from step 4, you instead paste it in each page’s own HEAD section. You can find this here:

Cheers,
Erwin

2 Likes

Heroic answer once again - thank you so much Erwin.

I’m half-implemented with Structured data on Dibley Marine and getting some better Google results already.

I have not used SEO helper (although I have it) as sadly I don’t think it’ll make it to Elements.

I have pasted the html at the top of each page in an html box - that seems to work ok … any reason not to do it that way ?

Am also implementing social meta tags - but just via the RW UI … again, this appears to work ok.

Thanks so much for your input

Just when you think you’re at the summit - there are whole nutha subjects to learn

Thanks again, Jol

1 Like

Hey @jbob,

No problem - here to help.

SEO Helper will indeed not make it to Elements - Joe Workman (SEO Helper’s developer) has made the decision to not publish any of his products for Elements a while back. A shame, because he makes some rather excellent stacks.

The things SEO Helper does, can also be done manually. I assume this will also be the case for Elements, as adding code to the page is an essential part of web development. It’s just a lot quicker with SEO Helper, compared to doing it by hand :slight_smile: And if you’re new to meta tags and structured data, SEO Helper takes away most of the thinking process for you.

As for where to put meta tags and structured data: it depends. Meta tags are expected to go in the HEAD section, but I don’t think search engines mind if you put them somewhere else. In fact, search engines will factor in meta tags, but they’re not the only elements on the page that they look at, so they’ll come across them by dissecting you page eventually.

Structured data goes in the HEAD section or in the BODY section depending on which type of structured data you’re talking about. Generally speaking, structured data that covers the entire page should go in the HEAD, while structured data that refers to a small portion of the page should go near that portion.

For instance, if you have two recipes on one page, you can add the structured data for them somewhere in the body, preferably near the version of the recipes that’s intended for human eyes (for easy maintenance mostly).

If you choose to add it to the body, you can use pretty much any HTML stack, or a text based stack and then remove all formatting to tell RapidWeaver that this is code (and not displayable text).

Cheers,
Erwin

2 Likes

Just wanted to quickly chime-in and say RapidWeaver already supports the basics for generating these social tags, including image support… like this:

Hope that helps :saluting_face:

3 Likes

Yes it’s fantastic thanks both - seems we need all the SEO advantaged we can get

Dan, an html structured data box would be fantastic.

Whoops… forgot about that completely.

Thanks @dan!

haha, no worries. It’s sometimes easy to forget how many features are actually built right into RapidWeaver :smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.