Blogpost specific Tags but without showing in post -. possible?

Is it possible to set Tags but just for search etc and not shown in Tagcloud or in blog post?

RW 8.9.4

How? :slight_smile:

//

Depending on your theme yes, with some custom CSS.

Not sure what you mean by setting hidden tags ā€œjust for searchā€ though. If a user canā€™t see a tag in the tag cloud or the blog post, how would they search for it? What are you trying to accomplish by hiding a tag from the user?

1 Like

OK - Thanks!

OK - I would like to add info to support search engines to find my blog post :slight_smile: but I like a very sparse layout and very little text in my ā€œblogsā€ā€¦ so they are not self descriptive e so to say,ā€¦

//

If you hide elements with CSS, most crawlers will ignore it (Google does anyway). In general, search engine crawlers will only index what a visitor would see, with the exception of meta tags of course.

So, in order for search engines to pick up blog posts like you want them too, youā€™ll need to write your blog posts in a way that search engines can make sense of them. You could also add keywords in each blog post text.

Cheers,
Erwin

Thanksā€¦ OK - as I understand it, meta-tags are site global - right?

ā€¦so what I want is meta-tags per blog post - does that exists?

I want an almost text free blog about, say, rabbits, but still want people to find it if they search for ā€œblack rabbitā€ā€¦ not possible, is that what we are sayingā€¦

//

Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ll be able to do this with the standard RapidWeaver blog (@dang?), but in general you can add meta tags to blog posts in addition to the site global ones and the page specific ones.

But why not go the keyword route? Add a block of keywords in the bottom:

[keywords: black rabbit, texan gun carrying rabbit, flemish giant, german high speed rabbit, rabbit stew]

These will be seen by crawlers, and your visitors will think nothing of it.

Cheers,
Erwin

Thanks - but will these keywords not show up in the post?

I have some ascetic estetic requirements :wink:

//

They will, unfortunately.

You can hide them, by giving them the same colour as the background of your post, but Google will (again) ignore those as they are not visible to human visitors either (and Google tries to prevent ā€˜spammy contentā€™ by ignoring white-on-white, black-on-black etc.).

Many thanks for your insight.

Strange how this isā€¦ and how dominant one actor isā€¦ and thus limiting, controlling, forcing, ā€¦

Well, wellā€¦ :slight_smile:

//

If you are talking about meta tag keywords that search engines can crawl instead of blog tags that your visitors can use to search through your blog postā€™s related topics, that changes the discussion.

You can add global meta tag keywords for the blog, but there arenā€™t any fields to add meta tag keywords to individual blog posts. There are fields to add blog title, along with Social Tags (title and description) to individual blog posts which might help search crawlers pick up your posts more easily, however I canā€™t really say if Google or other search engines would pay attention to those social tags as they are designed for social networks. Wouldnā€™t hurt to add them though just in case.

If you are adding images to your blog posts, you could make sure the images have descriptive titles relating to your blog post, along with descriptive alt text describing what the picture is and trying to relate it to your blog post.

Iā€™m a bit confused on the objective though, you want search engines to find your blog posts more easily, but you ā€œwant an almost text free blogā€. If your blog posts are nearly text free and you are just using meta tag keywords to pad the posts for search engines, I feel like thatā€™s something Google and other search engines might frown upon and penalize your rankings for. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I just did a quick search and found this article on the internet:

Do you still need to use meta keywords?
Google hasnā€™t used the meta keywords tag to help rank web pages for at least a decade. We know this because Matt Cutts, Googleā€™s former Head of the Webspam Team, released a video in 2009 where he said:
[ā€¦] we donā€™t use the keywords meta tag in our search ranking
Fast-forward to 2020, and according to a recent Twitter poll by Bill Slawski, most SEO professionals no longer use the meta keywords tag.

So maybe this whole topic is moot. :person_shrugging:

If you are wanting to rank your blog posts highly on search engines, it might require a rethink of your strategy. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Could be.

But I choose to not let my artistic ambition be steered by a google executive - I rather keep my low rank :wink:

Thanks for your attention!!!

//

1 Like

But I choose to not let my artistic ambition be steered by a google executive - I rather keep my low rank :wink:

I hear ya, not a Google fan myself either, especially after they removed their ā€œDonā€™t be evilā€ clause from their Code of Conduct. That really sucked.

2 Likes

Aha - Ok so it must mean the opposite then ā€¦ :-/

They are starting to live up to itā€¦

//

Well it is a little troubling that the success of your website is dependent on one party, and that party is (mostly) secretive on the way how they ā€˜judgeā€™ your site.

And even worse: they have an opinion about how websites should look and work, and will force it on you if you want your site to rank higher. Buttons too close together? Lower ranking. Text too small? Lower ranking. Two pages in your site that look too similarā€¦ you guessed itā€¦ lower ranking.

Using Google data mining to spice up your siteā€¦ heyā€¦higher ranking! Imagine that!

3 Likes

Iā€™m doing this ā€œGoogle Search Consoleā€ thingyā€¦ see what that may giveā€¦

//

So after a few days guurgle came up with:

ā€œDuplicate without the user selecting a canonical page
These pages are not indexed or displayed on Googleā€

(A list of urls was given)

And my base, main adress, was in there in this list. Itā€™s a simple blog.

What is a ā€œcanonical pageā€ and can I do something in RW to improve the situationā€¦ they seem to talk about a site mapā€¦

It seems to be the archive links that makes gurgle confused and treated as duplicatesā€¦

//

Hi,
A canonical page is the one you declare with relative links as the first of all resembling. Duplicate seems to mean resembling for Google so you have to indicate one as canonical aka the chosen I think as the leaderā€¦ Weird but the archive or real duplicate files may cause this issue.
But Maybe Iā€™m totally wrong :grin:
Or Google may require a little improvementā€¦

How / where in RW to control the aspects off canonical page?

RW 8.9.4 / Blog 7.0

How do I access my site-map?

//

You have to put the aspects of a canonical page in the header of the page (html code) in your case, I think, you can add a tag in each page like rel=ā€˜canonicalā€™. But Iā€™m not sure that Google will like this to give you a better ranking.
Iā€™m a newbie in RW so I canā€™t tell you more about this for now (I have to continue my learning). Maybe someone else ?