URL: https://gebbyeaton.co.uk : Site has been around for about 5 years or so and has always done fine in Google for searches such as ‘female wedding singer in midlands’ ‘female jazz singer in Warwickshire’ etc. A few days ago I updated the site to https and it has pretty much vanished from Google - not a single hit on the new https version.
I cannot see what I have done that is so wrong that Google can make the site disappear:
- htaccess forces https and non-www (as previously)
- The padlock icon appears - no obviously unsecure elements in the site
- all 4 versions added to Google search Console: http://, https:/,/ http://www., https://www and sitemap applied only to canonical version
I can’t say it is a perfect example of SEO but it’s pretty good:
- mobile friendly
- Most images have alt tags
- Decent use of header tags
- browser descriptions in place
So why the hell does it disappear? We’re not talking about a slip down the page, it’s a wholesale disappearance and the reality is this singer will lose much needed income over this which is pretty irritating when I’ve taken care to do things properly. I sincerely hope the other sites I’ve upgraded don’t all do the same thing!
Any ideas welcome