Site Documentation solution

Hi guys, all this is awesome! Thank you so much!

The content is mainly text. Each document is anywhere from 200 words to 30,000 words. Over time the information will be connected via wiki type links and subject index pages will be created. It will first be a repository and then become an interlinked wiki of information and ideas.

Simon(@svsmailus),

That sounds like the MediaWiki and @willwoodā€™s knowledge-base article about it would probably be worth a look. Itā€™s pretty easy to set up and would handle all of what you are looking for.

Thanks again. I use Notion and have been tempted to create it all in there and share the page and link it in the site. This would allow easy updates, provide a search and make it easy to maintain. Any thoughts on that idea?

Who is the audience? How are they going to find you? Iā€™m not familiar with Notion, and I donā€™t know if their content would be indexed by search engines. And I doubt that it would come across as being part of your domain.

I guess if itā€™s (the content on Notion) a source of additional information for existing customers then it might work. If you think itā€™s going to draw new customers to your site and help the domains SERP(search engine results page) ranking or help with the domains search engine authority ratings for the subject, Iā€™d suspect not.

Iā€™m always one who tries to Self-host stuff like that, unless thereā€™s a good reason not to. In your case, it would make things easier since you already said the notes are there, but not knowing what you except making them public, it would be hard to say what would be best.

Notion does give an option to allow search engines to index the page. The url is a long list of numbers and letters, but SEO might help with that. The page clearly wouldnā€™t be part of the domain; styling would not be exactly the same. Itā€™s not a site that would look to market new users, although the content might be useful to many in a niche field. Itā€™s not a site focused on money generation, but helping others with relevant information.

Notion would certainly be easier than trying to maintain MediaWiki.

Content, SEO or not on their site, would help their rankings not your site. Itā€™s Like having a link to or even an iframe of another site on your site, search engines will not think that itā€™s your content.

Now Iā€™m on search engines literally dozens to hundreds of times a day, and Iā€™ve never clicked on or seen anything on Notions, I see MediaWiki stuff on most searches.

Iā€™m not saying that Notions is the wrong way to go, I just wouldnā€™t expect a lot of search engine traffic generated from the content that is on their website. If thatā€™s not important to your objectives then it might be the solution best for you.

Is mediawiki an overkill for this project? Iā€™m also concerned about how much maintenance a self-hosted mediawiki install will need.

Iā€™m assuming no one would recommend using RW with 1200 pages with Foundry using either @teefers kind JavaScript or @Elixir kind update to the next update of the vertical nav stack?

Probably not very much. The current LTS(Long-term support) release of MediaWiki is 1.35, they released it in September 2020 itā€™s scheduled to go end-of-life in September 2023.

The previous LTS version (1.31) released on September 2017 and it will go end-of-life in June 2021.

There are people out there running larger sites with RW so it could you could do it. You might have to break it into multiple project files to make it more manageable. I think it would be a stretch.

The more important question is it the right tool. Twelve hundred pages with word counts from 200 to 30,000 is a lot of content for the end user to navigate. I donā€™t imagine users looking through 1200 links in a side navigation and finding what they want.
Organization is going to be key here. And a site search function (probably more than DuckDuckGo or Google) a necessity.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.