Site on Go Daddy displays errors on standard RW contact page

Correct, before cPanel was available, GoDaddy put us on a “Linux” plan. In order to now get a cPanel, they have to move the site off the old server and onto a new server. In my experience, they are happy to do so at no cost, but won’t move anyone until they are asked to do so.

Steve:
Now that I’m thinking about all this, yes you are correct about having to ask GoDaddy to upgrade your version of PHP.

I’ve been with GoDaddy over 10 years, with no real problems for the most part, but I did have an email problem awhile back. And I figured out the culprit: PHP (I design websites, for the most part not using Rapidweaver). Anyway, I had to call GoDaddy up and got the “newer” PHP 5.6. But I only got this, again to confirm your comments, because I called them up.

So I guess the folks who are knocking GoDaddy are right. But you know what: I’ve never heard of any hosting company that was 100 percent great 100 percent of the time. And over the years I’ve tried at least half a dozen of them for different clients of mine. So I just accept the occasional problem and try to work it out. But saying all this, it’s still no excuse for not having the most up-to-date setup for your customers.

I’ve had sites on GoDaddy for 10 years too- with virtually zero downtime, the entire time. In fact, I’m only aware of one afternoon/evening, many years ago, when my sites were down. There’s a lot to be said for continuous up-time. I, too, have had client sites on other hosts - and one (in particular) has suffered several downtimes over the past year. There’s always a reason, but the client isn’t concerned about that…they just want their site up and working.

The only reason I’ve moved almost all of my sites (and client sites) off of GoDaddy is their lack of free SSL certificates. In this day and age, there’s no excuse (other than the host wanting the high dollars) not to offer them.

The only reason a couple are still with GoDaddy is because they’re locked into a multi-year contract, having paid in advance for hosting service.

Dave - are you able to upload to Godaddy with more than one connection in RW? I switched a new client over to a CPanel plan from the old Linux account and seem to be only able to upload with one connection. If I have it set for more than one connection, RW connects with the first one, but the others remain on “connecting to host” (or whatever the exact wording is). So I’m able to connect and upload, but not with more than one connection actually connecting. I can successfully upload with either ‘extended passive’ or ‘active’, but with either option only one connection connects.

I did call them but their tech guy couldn’t find the answer.

Thanks!

I am able to use the #3 (average) setting when publishing to GoDaddy. If I use #4 or faster, the upload stalls out. My clients, by the way, are also on cPanel hosting (none are on the legacy Linux plan anymore).

Most of my sites are now with Dreamhost -and I’m able to publish using the fastest setting without any issues.

Thanks for the info @dave. I’ll have to look into this further I suppose. A couple of other sites that i maintain are on legacy plans and I can have #5 or #6 with no problem.

Dreamhost sounds very good and I’ll check them out for new clients without hosting. This one had just paid for three more years with GD, so not possible to switch to another host.

LIkewise @thang I have one client who is locked in to GoDaddy for several more years. They got a great deal when they locked in…but in retrospect, they’d have been better off paying the highly yearly fee with the ability to switch hosts. Dreamhost has been great so far (I switched because Joe Workman recommended them) - no downtime, no worries about bandwidth or size of files, and free SSL certificates.

Yes, I know “unlimited” bandwidth and storage doesn’t really mean unlimited, but I have a LOT of sites over there now…and so far, all is good. I’d be way over my limits elsewhere.

I’ve also read JW’s recommendation for DH and nice to hear your experience as well.

“Unlimited” bandwidth and storage may have an unspecified limit, but will most likely be higher than a defined limit. Nice to have some extra space for back-ups, etc.

Thanks again!