Help! Upgraded to 8

Recently upgraded to the Rapidweaver 8 and have a Linux account with GoDaddy. After working on several sites I manage and uploading the changes (even republished ALL pages) the changes are not revealed. It’s frustrating. I WISH there was REAL TECH help available. IF anyone has ideas that might work, please let me know. New pages are not appearing, changes in OLD pages are not appearing. I’ve used this program/software for many years. It’s time consuming and quite frustrating. Thanks!

https://www.godaddy.com/help/understanding-linux-with-cpanel-hosting-27872
Debi, if the problem started after upgrading, are you sure the current Rapidweaver8 publishing settings are identical to your previous working settings?

GoDaddy’s support is somewhat lacking, agreed. I had to learn the basics of using the c-panel on my own, which helped.

Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

Thanks

Have done that several times.

Debi Saylor :butterfly:

505.293.3636 talk/text

twinklestheclown.com

abcballoondecorating.com

debioils.com dōTERRA shop/join

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. :star2:

I can only assume that either you are not publishing to the correct folder, it’s a browser cache thing, or you have both html and php pages.

Make a new simple test page just a header or placeholder text
Set the folder to: test
Publish
Go to your domain/test
Is the new page there?
Yes= your publishing settings are okay, it’s a cache thing or you have php and html page in the same folder. Try going to: your site url/index.html. Try with /index.php
No= your publishing settings are wrong

2 Likes

yours is the most thorough answer so far

Funny I did the trouble shooting you suggested. Clearing cache every 10 minutes.

Parts of the problems are resolved but the primary issue I’m having now is the contact page I’m publishing is not working to send an email.

Never hear of php pages. I’ll check.

I actually ADDED a new contact page because I thought the one on the original site was faulty - for some reason. Didn’t help.

My “contact page” appears to be a php file/page.

I’m researching what a php page is.

Thanks!

Debi Saylor

abcballoondecorating.com

twinklestheclown.com

debioils.com doTERRA shop/join

My intentions are to be positive and to live with gratitude and joy.

1 Like

If there is code on a page that needs to be executed on the server such as a contact form the page file extension has to be php to tell the server that ‘this page has code’
By default RW assigns new pages the html extension, if a stack is added that requires code then RW will automatically change the extension to php, this can be a pita if you’ve already published the page that has the html extension.
All browsers will prioritise html over php so if they both exist on the server then the html will be viewed even if the php is newer so… if you have both on the server you need to delete the html page.

I and many others change the default file extension in each project to php when starting any new project to prevent the duplicate page problem

2 Likes

If you do have both an index.php and an index.html you need to delete the html page as pointed out.
Since you’re using go daddy and having issues with contact page you might want to check out this kb article:
https://help.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver-troubleshooting/troubleshooting-contact-pages-with-godaddy

1 Like

Thank you all!

The responses to my issues have been incredible. I truly appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thank you very much!

This has actually been much more helpful than I anticipated.

Let me say GoDaddy says that part of the problem are gmail addresses that can sometimes cause issues. I have tested (more than a dozen times to various gmail addresses) and NONE of the tests have been received. GoDaddy suggested purchasing a “domain” email. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Debi Saylor

abcballoondecorating.com

twinklestheclown.com

Thank you for your help, very valuable info.
the forum works better than I thought it might.

Thanks!
Debi Saylor

abcballoondecorating.com

twinklestheclown.com

Truthfully, I would dump godaddy before I paid extra for that.

Godaddy has a not so stellar reputation. You can get a great hosting account from chillidoghosting for $5 @barchard is a RW developer and has fabulous hosting and support. And he will move your site for free. You will be up and going same day. And your issues will all be behind you.

Do a search on the forum for hosting you will find tons of accolades about his service.

Just my opinion been with Godady and other “big” hosting companies in the past, no time for that kind of frustration.

2 Likes

Wow!

I am going to look into this! Thank you for your help.

505.293.3636 talk/text

twinklestheclown.com

abcballoondecorating.com

Hi Debi,

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. GoDaddy can be really difficult with contact forms. They require special configuration and work done outside of RapidWeaver in order to send mail.

Regarding their comment about Gmail. I think they’re suggesting email delivery issues with Gmail. Recently Gmail and other major email providers have become more strict about receiving emails. This affects a lot of Contact Forms out there. This is because some contact forms set the FROM field of the email to the email address provided by the user. For instance, if you filled out the contact form email as user@gmail.com, the email would say FROM gmail.com. Now, your server isn’t owned or operated by Google so this would be invalid and be rejected or marked as SPAM. @joeworkman and I chatted about this in our recent Podcast episode on WeaverRadio

Anyways, let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Your top dog,
Greg

1 Like

Hi Greg,

I love learning but this has been quite a journey. I’m not absolutely certain I understand all that you’re saying but I think I get most of it.

GoDaddy had sold me a Linux account which allows me to upload approximately eight websites. Given the expense of the Linux account which is due to renew I believe in me I am interested in looking at other options.

GoDaddy convinced me today that I should have an email address with my domain name. Their cost was about $140 for three years and I could cancel it but I haven’t really had time to research more about the issue. I wonder if I should just cancel it for the refund and then do the research. I’m kind of in a time crunch right this minute.

Your knowledge base sounds extensive and I really appreciate the help. Nope this point nothing is critically urgent. I actually decided to take the contact page off of my website and modify other websites to say… “If you don’t hear back from an email inquiry please call“

Thank you again for your help.

505.293.3636 talk/text

twinklestheclown.com

abcballoondecorating.com

Trust me, treat your experience/experience with GoDaddy as a life lesson and dump them.
Don’t do anything right now, speak to Greg and he’ll take you through the process of moving what you’ve currently got to Chillidog.

At the top right of this forum page is a search button (magnifying class); do a search for Chillidog and see what other users have said about Greg … you won’t be disappointed.
You may also want to search for GoDaddy but I’d be sitting down 1st if I was you.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Just moved my first client from GoDaddy to chillidog and @barchard has been super helpful. Will move the rest over the next few months…

1 Like

Some general “rules” I always follow when looking at hosting for my clients.

1. Always host near your customers. If your customers are in the UK, host in the UK.
  2. Never choose a host that has bandwidth limits you’re at risk of exceeding. I’ve seen a few sites recently with “Bandwidth Limit Exceeded”. It’s bad for business.
  3. Look at the TTFB (Time to First Byte). I’ve been told, but can’t verify, that it’s the only speed ranking factor Google looks at.
  4. Support tickets are answered within an hour or less.

Thanks Paul,
Greg contacted me, this is exciting and an eye opener! Currently I have only about 8 clients so moving seems like a perfect idea. The forum has been much more helpful than I anticipated. Glad I posted my questions. Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Neil,

Great advice!

Things I had not considered.

I appreciate your help.

I see you’re a PRO, I’m glad you’re on the forum and available to assist.

Debi Saylor

abcballoondecorating.com

twinklestheclown.com

Hi Debi

Wow, they charge more for using email with your domain/hosting? that’s a new one to me. I’m going to make note of that when I launch my new site :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re interested, I can certainly migrate you to our EU server this weekend. Just let me know and I’ll send you the info to get started.

Your top dog,
Greg

1 Like