Sound effect not working

I have someone who wants the sound of honking geese to autoplay when a page is opened. I have an HTML stack with the following code:

00%20PM

When I preview it in Rapidweaver, the sound plays properly. However, it doesn’t play on the actual published page in any browser. I checked, and honkers.wav was indeed properly uploaded to the resources folder. Does anyone have any ideas? Here’s the URL of the page in question:

http://www.fairgamegoosecontrol.com/

Thanks!

Browsers no longer allow audio to autoplay. You have to enable it in your preferences on a pre-site basis.

I know of a guy that got fired when he went to a site at work and it made noise and his boss was not pleased!!!

Well, I personally HATE autoplaying sounds, and I’d be happy to tell this client that it’s impossible. But what do you mean by “enable it in your preferences on a pre-site basis”? Do you mean that individual users have to change their browser preferences, or do you mean that I’d need to do something in Rapidweaver if I wanted these geese to honk?

Thanks!

Yes. Each user controls what their browser does when visiting a site with auto-play audio. I believe the default behavior on browser is to not auto-play audio.

See Safari’s Preferences - Websites panel.

Safari preferences…

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll just leave the code as is–if it plays, it plays. It’s certainly not critical to anything whether it does or it doesn’t. Thanks for all the useful information!

1 Like

@joeworkman I’m wondering if some devs have worked out a way around this. Some UK newspapers have recently and quite aggressively started using autoplay videos that you can’t actually stop or silence in situ - you have to silence using the volume mute in your browser tab. And I don’t have them set up to allow auto-play.

What they are doing is letting the video load without autoplay. Then they are using JS to play after a delay once the page has finished loading. That is being a very bad citizen.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.