Stacks 3.6.1 build 4160

Every time I open RW says that there are add-on updates available, Stacks 3.6.1 build 4160. I update, restart and the add on update is there again, over and over. Something is wrong.

Get the addon from the Yourhead site:
http://yourhead.com/stacks

In that case, the best is to

The update message should disappear then.

Already did that and the problem still persist. It is a Setapp version, maybe this helps.

How did you install Stacks? The fool-proof method is dragging the uncompressed copy of your downloaded add-on to the RapidWeaver’s icon in the dock (presuming that this is the version of RW that you currently use). This is true for Stacks, stacks, plugins and themes.

I installed it exactly as you say.

Maybe @isaiah can share some wisdom on this

The plugin updater is part of RapidWeaver, so usually** we need to ask @simon and @tpbradley about the tech details. When it’s a stack update I’m your guy! :slight_smile:

Since this is a common misunderstanding, I do hear about a lot of updater issues (and that’s OK, I don’t mind :smiley: ). I don’t know why they happen, but I can give you some ideas of what triggers these bugs and what you can do to work around them:

• Open the Addons Folder
    Hold down the Option key and chose Reveal Addons Folder from the View menu.

• Look for anything out of order. Things like:

• Multiple copies of Stacks
    • Oddly named copies of Stacks
    • Anything else strange
  • Fix any problems you find

• Remove all but one copy of Stacks
    • Make sure it’s named Stacks.rapidweaverplugin
  • If you can’t find anything to fix, then re-installing Stacks:

• Remove all the copies of Stacks that are in the Addons folder
    • Download a fresh copy from Stacks 5 Plug-In
    • Unzip the newly downloaded copy (double click the zip file)
    • Drag the new copy into the Addons Folder

Warning: You should not assume that you know where the Addons Folder is. Each different version of RapidWeaver stores addons in a different location. Always use the Reveal Addons Folder menu command to make sure that you find and open the Addons Folder that is being actively used right now.

** Although mostly plugin update issues have to do with the plugin updater inside of RapidWeaver, there are definitely exceptions: recently there was a problem with my web server that hosts the updates, it went bonkers and needed a reboot – it caused all updates to fail for about 8 hours. But in that case every Stacks user saw the error – so we got A LOT of email to let us know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but the takeaway… it never hurts to put me on the cc list, just in case.

4 Likes

You are the Guru Isaiah!!! Now everything is perfect. I had multiple copies of the plugin.

Thank you Scott for suggesting Isaiah to help with this problem.

All the best,

GVR

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.