Text Edit - Mac

BBEdit has a free mode, try it.

https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

2 Likes

BBEdit comes in both free and paid version, as you’d expect the paid unlocks certain features.

I’ve used it for a while and like it a lot, though my needs are pretty basic.

Worth a try and it gives you the paid version on a 30 day trial, after which you lose the extra functionality and revert to the free version.

I think the important thing here is the question of why you’re editing the HTML, CSS, PHP, etc output of RapidWeaver?
That’s what you mentioned earlier. You really don’t want to do this, as any changes you make would not be part of the RapidWeaver project and would have to be redone every time you changed and republished the project.

The original post was talking about “downloading a published page” and making changes to that page. It’s best practice to learn to make RapidWeaver do what you want with the tools built in or by “customizing” the project by adding CSS and JavaScript to the project itself.

1 Like

Why is the questioner working outside of RW? Because they are unable with their skill and toolset to accomplish what it is they want to do. It is not uncommon for me personally to code something that I do not want to be part of a RapidWeaver project file and so I will embed what looks like nonsense code into the project and then run a grep batch replace on it which finds the target data and replaces it in the published files. My method should be the exception and not the norm however.

That being said…

–The best answer I can come up with for something like TextEdit on iOS is to clean my glasses an look under iOS

TextWrangler is no longer supported by Bare Bones (the developer of BBEdit) and is not compatible with macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or above.

They have replaced it with the free version of BBEdit.

https://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

1 Like

TextWrangler is still working on my Mac running MacOS 10.14.3. Not nearly as good for coding as Brackets, VSCode, Sublime Text or Textastic, though.

Just going by what BareBones says in the link I gave above.

In “free mode”, BBEdit provides a modified set of features, which incorporates all of TextWrangler’s features, and offers unique features of its own. In the best tradition of TextWrangler, using BBEdit in free mode costs you nothing, while providing an upgrade path to advanced features and capabilities.

If you are just coding simple stuff like most RapidWeaver users BBEdit (free or Paid) will work fine and is probably easier to learn.

My main editor for the web is VSCode for most coding, it;s free and is open source on Github.

I still use BBEdit (paid version) for some automated(scripted) tasks as none of the open source editors support AppleScript as they run cross-platform.

Another opensource editor that hasn’t been mentioned is Atom from GitHub. It’s very similar to Brackets.

Atom is an excellent code editor and it’s free!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.