I do like RapidWeaver but … the text editor - the thing by which we actually enter most of our content - seems surprisingly basic or irritating to use, for what is otherwise an incredibly sophisticated and elegant system.
tl;dr: is there another editor I can use within RapidWeaver, particularly within Stacks? The green highlight thing is driving me BATTY.
What I want to do:
- Type in my text (current editor: ok)
- Style it by adding the usual stuff - paragraphs, soft returns, bold, italics, links, tables, images, headings, styles that I’ve created using CSS (current editor: ok for some, but forget about CSS styled text; I assume I can probably do that if I go full Foundation or something though)
- Be able to immediately see the styling I’ve applied without having to go to a preview (which is currently a multi-click process) (current editor: WHAT’S WITH THE DAMN GREEN HIGHLIGHT THING??)
- tidy up styling without having to re-write the CSS (ie go into the HTML to fix little issues like an anchor ending after a full stop instead of before it, or a paragraph being where it oughtn’t, and the like)(current editor: nope, use HTML instead but have to do everything in HTML)
How doesn’t the built-in editor support this?
- The green highlight for identifying paragraphs/headings is AWFUL. Sorry, but it is. It’s impossible to determine what’s been styled and what hasn’t, it’s impossible to remove once it’s there and, because I can’t quickly switch into an HTML editor, I can’t even tidy things on the fly.
- I can’t tell whether it’s going to insert an enormous gap between paragraphs or not. (To be fair, this issue seems to be increasingly creeping up in a number of web systems; creators don’t seem to comprehend that sometimes, all you want is a single paragraph between … well, paragraphs).
- I write a lot of words. I want those words separated by an ordinary paragraph spacing when I press “return”, regardless of the styling applied to those words.
- I shouldn’t have to remember to add a para return between content of the same type, but no return between content of different types. Or something. I can’t tell the logic.
These three images demonstrate my point (I’m aware there’s an error - that’s why I was going in to edit it!)
Content as it’s seen on the Stacks page.
Content when I double-click to edit. This is the bit that drives me insane. What’s with the green? What’s it indicate? How can I tell whether I’ve applied my heading/paragraph styling accurately? How can I fix styling errors?
Content when previewed/seen on the webpage.
It takes me three goes each time I edit text to get everything placed correctly. That’s far too long.
I did look but … is there an alternative? Don’t mind paying for it if it exists …