Two "com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8" folders

I have one in
library/containers/
and another in
library/containers/com.realmacsoftwarerapidweaver8/data/library/application support/
I presume this isn’t right.
How do I fix this?
I’ve been having a few RW problems lately - like unexpectedly quitting - and wonder whether this is the cause.

Philip,

May I ask a couple of questions to help clarify:

1 - when you say library, you mean ~/Library (that is your account’s home directory), don’t you; and not the System Library?

2 - maybe you also mistyped the paths: if

com.realmacsoftwarerapidweaver8/data/library/application support/

is in (assuming) the next level down under ~/Library, namely ~/Library/Containers, then its full path will necessarily be:

~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftwarerapidweaver8/data/library/application support/

Hope we can help with a little more info, please :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Mark, anda ologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Here are the path names, in additiont to the one where all the stacks and adding are located.

/Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/Data/Library/Application Support/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/com.crashlytics

/Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/Data/Documents
[as well as the other usual user folders such as Desktop, Library, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures]

/Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8
This one’s empty

Appreciate your interest.

That should have been stacks and addons

Philip,

The location of those files in my installation is not dissimilar. I don’t think the way yours is set up should be causing crashes. It might be worth contacting RealMac support and sending them the crashlogs, though, if it continues.

I’m still puzzled (my apologies if I’m misunderstanding you) when you say that

is ‘empty’; yet you have directories in:

/Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/Data/Documents

because …/Data/Documents would appear to be subdirectories of /Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8

You could also delete all your RW application (not your data; not your Stacks, Addons etc) files with an application such as AppDelete or iTrash and re-install RW.

Good luck!

Thanks again Mark
/Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com. realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8
really is a separate folder with nothing in it - that’s the end of the path.
So many odd things are happening with RW that I think you’re right in suggesting a new install of RW.

Philip,

I hope you’ll forgive me if I say that I’m still confused; sorry!

In a hierarchical file system like the BSD on which Apple Unix is based a folder can either be empty or have subfolders and (sub)files in it.

Not both.

I regret I am puzzled when you say that:

is its own folder with ‘nothing in it’. And yet that there are subdirectories such as:

These two condition really cannot co-exist: a folder with nothing in it and the same folder with a further hierarchy (namely …/Data/Documents)

Are you saying that you have two identical ‘versions’ of:

?

If so, then something is wrong.

Could one be a file; and the other a folder/directory?

Which icon has each got?

Maybe you could include here a screenshot of what you see in the Finder, please?

This may be nothing, but it might just account for some sort of anomalous behavior as RW doesn’t really know consistently where to look for its resources.

Thanks… :slight_smile:

Thanks again Mark, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
I’m attaching a screenshot of the com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8 folders, the highlighted one being empty.
When I get myself a bit better organised I’ll be doing a clean re-install of RW8 as you suggest.
And also thanks for the reminder about sending the Apple crash reports to Realmac
All the best

Sorry - here’s the attachment

Philip,

Thanks for posting the screenshot.

I agree that sending your crashlogs to RealMac is a good step.

And removing all RW application files and dependent files/folders (though not your data, of course) and re-installing. Good luck with that.

As far as duplicate folders is concerned, I am still… dubious. I do believe it’s worth getting to the bottom of in case they could still confuse RW after re-installation.

I can think of only three explanations; my money would be on #2… backup volumes included in your search:

1. there is/are one or more spaces at the end of the object’s name, ‘/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8’, which would indeed allow apparently identically-named file/directories to co-exist at the same level. Otherwise that really is impossible… try creating two folders with the same name on your Desktop, say, and you’ll see that macOS disallows it.
  2. I notice that the screen grab you posted is the result of a search on ‘This Mac’; I wonder whether those other named subfolders could actually be on (other) mounted volumes or partitions whose parent is still ‘This Mac’… the way you would confirm this is by looking at what appears for each instance of ‘/Users/philiplock/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8’ in the full path at the very bottom of your grab (the one which - for the second entry down, Yes, appears to be empty (but see my reason #3) begins: ‘Macintosh HD > Users > Philiplock… etc’ Maybe try navigating to each of these individually and see what their ‘real’ path is. I truly doubt that they’e on the same Volume :slight_smile:
  3. the files in those script folders begin with a full stop/period; with certain settings in the Finder these do not display. IOW these folders may not be empty at all - but contain invisible files.

BTW, just to help RealMac, you should, if I may, point out that this anomaly appears in directories, Application Scripts not Application Support.

Please let us know how you get on with further investigation - and good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.