RW 8 keeps crashing and crashing

my RW 8 program keeps crashing when i try to open it, the problems began after the first crash yesterday i had to configurate the location again, plugins themes and addons. And now it keeps crashing en the addons location will not save.

Process: RapidWeaver 8 [1538]
Path: /private/var/folders/*/RapidWeaver 8.app/Contents/MacOS/RapidWeaver 8
Identifier: com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8
Version: 8.2.1 (20758)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: RapidWeaver 8 [1538]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-08-16 13:27:59.451 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.2 (18C54)

Is there anybody who has a solution or a fix? i still have no reply from the Realmac supportdesk.

Yours sincerely.

Ab Labbari

Hello,

did you try to install Rapidweaver for another user?

If you have a bunch of old add ones, remove them. I bet that you are not using them and they may be the culprit with causing RW to crash.

Yes i have an old version 6 somewhere i Will delete that program and then i try again thanks.

Ab Labbari

No but i Will first delete an old version 6 then i try again.

Ab Labbari

I removed everything that has to do with rw6 also om my TimeMachine empty the recycle bin and restart the computer several times but with no succes :frowning:

Then i add a new user and install rw8 and activated but also still has the errors when try to opening rw8 projects and also is there the problem with the addons and themes again it doesn’t work anymore… with the manage location! what is going on here…?

When things are very broken and confused it’s important to slow down, take a deep breath, and then start with what does work – and build from there one step at a time. :turtle:

By changing just one thing at a time, and then checking if things are working well at each step – then we’ll be able to see exactly what step introduces the problem. And if we know what’s causing the problem it should be easy to fix. :yum:

So let’s start again with the absolute basic system:

• Create new user account
  • Download a brand new copy of RapidWeaver
  • Install RapidWeaver

And then let’s test.

• Can you launch RapidWeaver?
  • Can you create a new project?
  • Can you add a Styled Text page to the project?
  • Can you preview the Styled Text page?

That’s seven steps.
Did each step go well?
Or did something fail?

If something fails – don’t worry – that’s good news! Each of these steps is so simple we should be able to identify the problem immediately.

When something does fail – either in one of these seven steps or later on – please provide an exact error message. A screenshot of the error message, or a crash report is useful too.
If there is no error message and no crash, then explain exactly what happened. The more detail you can provide, the better. Explain the entire sequence of events like we’re 3 years old. It sounds silly, but that can really help.

The more detail you provide, the more help we’ll be able to give you.

Next steps

If you get the basic things working, then it’s time to take the next steps. Again, let’s just take a few simple steps, one at a time , and see what breaks. If/When we find something broken, then – just as before – report what happens in as much detail as possible. Try these steps:

• Download the Stacks plugin from Stacks 5 Plug-In
  • Install Stacks
  • Quit and re-launch RapidWeaver
  • Create a new project
  • Add a Stacks page
  • Add a Text Stack to the page
  • Preview

Repeat

• Repeat this process for each plugin, hopefully there are not too many
  • only add the plugins you absolutely need
  • if you don’t need a plugin today, then don’t install it today
  • download each one fresh from the developer.

The big step

If you manage to get this far it’s time to try to open your project file. For this step, simply do that one thing. That’s plenty!

Since you have not yet installed any 3rd party stacks (no cheating – don’t jump to the end :yum:) – you should expect the project to open, but all 3rd party stacks to display as “missing”. That’s OK for this step.

If the project doesn’t open, or crashes, or does something else strange – report it – lots of detail – include error messages and screenshots.

The final step

Install 3rd party themes and stacks. Usually these can’t be downloaded fresh from the developer since you download them after purchase. So just use what you have here.

If this step fails report back here with the exact error.

Congratulations

If you make it past that, congratulations – that’s everything. Try using RapidWeaver for a little while and see how it goes. If all goes well, then it sounds like things are working. If there are crashes or problems – report the exact details – be as specific as you can, include screenshots and crash reports if possible.

Good luck. I’m rooting for you. I know you can do this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hello isaiah,

thanks for the explanation the steps 1/7 each step did go perfect. I have downloaded stacks again and install it. It is working perfect everything the problem i have is that existing projects will not load there themes and addons.

i have installed rw8 several times also on a new account and still i get the error crash reports as you can see.

and again… now i only clicked a message away that the Anthem theme is not found.

You show your addons folder empty – that’s perfectly normal if you are installing fresh into a new user account. There are no addons or stacks there yet. That’s OK. We’ll get there. One step at a time. :slight_smile:

The crash report at the end is indicative of either a user or the app is being force quit.

Can you tell me what you were doing when this crash happened?

I outlined several steps and a path for you… did you at least give it a go? If so, can you tell me where things went wrong and how?

Isaiah

1 Like

stacks has caused all the problems after a few times of installations it works, the upgrade of stacks was corupt so i downloaded the complete version 4 and install it that went great!

Yours sincerely

Ab

Does that mean things are working well for you? That’s great news. I’m super glad to hear it. :slight_smile:

about the upgrade file

the upgrade URL and the download URL from our site are the same URL. there is only one. this keeps things simple, which I like. :slight_smile:

i suspect that perhaps the upgrade process went astray – and maybe installed a partially downloaded or corrupted file.

unfortunately i don’t have a lot of control over the upgrade process as that is part of the RapidWeaver app. you could send some of the info you collected from this arduous process to the Realmac Software support folks, perhaps they could use it to improve he robustness of the upgrade process.

one more thing

that said, there is one interesting twist on the horizon. macOS 10.15 Catalina has a new “notarization” process that must take place for all apps and plugins (and many other things too).

this means that in the future a partially downloaded or corrupted installation would not be allowed to run because the file would not match the notarization stored on Apple’s servers.

while that might mean that no copy of Stacks was installed after a failed upgrade download, perhaps that would be better than having something corrupted installed.

1 Like

thank you isaiah for your help!! i have send the issue tot also realmac a few days ago but still i have non reaction to it… it does not matter now because it is working perfect!! and i am now working with the new stacks version it is a little bit get used to.

Oh, that’s very nice to hear. Good news. :tada:

make sure to watch the videos on my website. they’re nice and short and walk through some of the new features:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.