Uninstall Font-stack, how?

Hi all,

I would like to know how to uninstall a Font stack “Font Pro” in RW. But in the drop-down menu under settings in this stack the option “Uninstall” is greyed-out. How can I get rid of this stack?

Thank you!

The simple answer:

This stack is a bit tough to uninstall. The easiest way:

1. Select Show Stacks Library in Finder from the Gear menu at the bottom of the Stacks Library
  2. In the folder that opens up, find the item called “FontPro.stack” and move it to your desktop (or anywhere else you like).

OK, that said, here’s the longer answer…

Like many complex stacks the Font Pro isn’t really just one single thing. It’s a collection of stacks. By my count it’s about 15 stacks (most of which are hidden or disabled except when needed for backward compatibility with earlier versions)

A collection of stacks like this is often tightly integrated. In other words, the pieces of the collection rely on each other, and all the pieces of the collection are needed for any of them to work correctly.

For that reason Stacks plays it safe, when you choose a single piece of a large collection, Stacks doesn’t allow you to break that piece off and tear it out – because it would probably break things.

The usual recommendation would be to choose the parent stack of all these pieces. Uninstalling that parent would cleanly remove all the parts too – which is the right way to go about it.

Font Pro is a bit interesting, the developer chose to hide the parent stack and in doing so has made the automatic uninstall menu effectively unusable.

Of course I’d love to have a simple mechanism to explain this to the user and give them options on whether they’d like to uninstall the whole collection rather than just the one piece – but (as these paragraphs imply) it seems to require a rather lengthy explanation of the inner-workings – which doesn’t really fit in a one-line menu option. :rofl:

That said, I’m always open to new ideas or suggestions.

6 Likes

Thanks Isaiah.
Now I regret even more purchasing this stack.
How about i uninstall/trash the whole RW app with all other apps/stacks etc. And then reinstall it again and just do not install this Font Pro?

1 Like

Have you tried finding the “parent stack” in your stacks folder with finder?
I think if you have RW closed, and delete the parent stack, when you restart RapidWeaver it should be gone.

Just worth a try before going this route:

“How about i uninstall/trash the whole RW app with all other apps/stacks etc”

The two steps above seem a heck of a lot simpler, but i guess that would work too.

Just for emphasis:

1. Select Show Stacks Library in Finder from the Gear menu at the bottom of the Stacks Library
  2. In the folder that opens up, find the item called “FontPro.stack” and move it to your desktop (or anywhere else you like).
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.