Web Inspector Rapidweaver JSContext appears when previewing in RW8

I got a lot of Web Inspector windows that open when invoking preview in RW8 environment.
The same empty Web Inspector windows also open when publishing a project.
I already disabled the develop menu option in safari as I found in your forum an indication to do so.

Versions:
RW8 8.6.2
Safari 13.1.2 ((15609.3.5.1.3))

Thanks for suggestions

Same thing here. I had to quit safari if I wanted to stay sane.

Same problem and is quite boring to have to close one by one. There is any answer to this thread?

Seems like this has to be related to some specific component. Though I’ve never heard of this and didn’t even know that this was possible.

Can someone send me a page that does this? I’ll also need all the components necessary to view the page – so if you can cut the page down to just the stacks necessary to make it happen, that would be helpful.

Hi Isaiah,
I send you a shots. I have a video, but I cannot upload, that may be explain better than shots.
In this case When I publish on server I didn’t comes out, but normally it do it also on publish.
I hope that this Shots can help you to give us an advise about what I do wrong.
Versions:
Mac Os Big Sur:11.2.3 (20D91)
MacBook Pro (13 pulgadas, 2020, cuatro puertos Thunderbolt 3)
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 de 4 nĂşcleos
32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
RW8 Version 8.7 (20860)
Safari VersiĂłn 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.7)
Thank you a lot for your support.
Best regards, Angelo

It do the same with all types of stacks, doesn’t matter which stack you are using…

Can you try three quick tests for me. They’re very easy to do. Then report back what happens in each one:

1. Create a new Styled Text page with nothing on it. Then Preview.
    Does the JSContext appear?

2. Create a new Stacks page with nothing on it. Then Preview.

3. Create a new Stacks page. Then add one Text stack. Then Preview.

If the answer was YES in any of these we can decide what to do based on which one you answered YES to.

If the answer was NO in all of these then the problem depends on some of the stacks on your pages and I can only help further if you send me your project file.

Here is how to share to share your project and RapidWeaver environment:
https://yourhead.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033849994-Sharing-Your-Project-and-Add-ons

When I have both of these things here, I should be able to see what you see. And we can work from there.

Hi Isaiah,
I have done the tests.

1. Create a new Styled Text page with nothing on it. Then Preview.
    Does the JSContext appear? YES
  2. Create a new Stacks page with nothing on it. Then Preview.
    Create a new Stacks page. Then add one Text stack. Then Preview.
    I will share the project, but It happen with all projects.
    I sent you a wetransfer link by email with all zip files required.
    Thank you for your prompt answer.
    Best regards
    Angelo

OK, we know the JSContext appears on just a plain blank styled text page. That means this has something to do with something outside of any page content. i.e.: it’s not a stack or Stacks, or anything like that.

If this happens with all projects I think you have to consider that it’s a problem outside of RapidWeaver.

Perhaps a Safari extension or a problem with macOS itself.

I can tell you that this is not the normal behavior that most users see. I for one, have never seen this happen.

Hi Isaiah,
I don’t know why it appen now.
I know that is not the normal behaviour that the users seen.
Before it didn’t do it until I enable the safari web inspector, in Stacks preference, for debug a project.
When I finish debugging this project I disable it, but apparently it is still working.
I understand that is something related between rapidweaver and safari, but I didn’t find the reason.
Now that is discarded that is not rapidweaver, I will check out all other possible situation with safari, that for the moment I didn’t find any unusual.
I will going forward with other tests and checks, in the line that you suggest, and share the possibles discoveries that I can achieve.
I will let you know.
Thank you for your prompt answer.
Best regards
Angelo

Hi Isaiah,
After one day of tests I found the solution at the problem.
I display the solution as shown in the shots pages:
0. On RW Stacks Preferences menu disable Safari Web Inspector (as in shots sent on Mar 20)

1. On Safari > Preferences > Advanced, enable check box of develop menu bar. In my case was disable. (Safari P1 and Safari P2). After do it develop menu will appear into Safari menu bar.
  2. On Safari > Develop > MacBook Pro verify if show inspector web automatically is enable (that was my case). (Safari P3- Enable). Disable this option clicking on it. (Safari P3 - Disable).
  3. Escape from safari menu.
  4. Close and re-open RW.
    Verify that if you go to preview RW page, now it will NOT open any other page of safari preview web inspector for JSContents.
    In my case I verify that it works correctly.
    It is also sure that, if you enable/disable, now, the flag directly into Safari, is not needed to re-open RW to work properly, it open or not the page of Inspector depending of flag into safari develop menu under MacBook Pro.
    I leave on your consideration if is possible that may have some link between the flag of “Safari Web Inspector” in RW Stacks Preferences and the flag into Safari Menu.
    May be, it is possible to have a correlation between the flag into Stack Preferences and the flag into Safari menu, that when you enable it on preferences it will enable into safari menu, but when it is disable into stacks preferences don’t disable into safari menu. Really I don’t know.
    I hope that this solution can help all other persons that had the same problem.
    Thank you very much for your guidelines to find the solution.
    Best regards,
    Angelo

1 Like

Ah ha!!! I didn’t think of that one. To be honest I didn’t even know you could do that!!!

Here’s a screenshot in English in case anyone needs that.

The detail here is that @Angelo “attached” the Safari developer debugger to all of the webview contexts that appear anywhere on his machine. Since RapidWeaver and Safari use the same underlying technology Safari is able to “remote debug” RapidWeaver preview windows. That’s neat – but probably pretty annoying.

I leave on your consideration if is possible that may have some link between the flag of “Safari Web Inspector” in RW Stacks Preferences and the flag into Safari Menu.

So, first – as you noted before – this was happening even on Styled Text pages. Safari is attaching to the RW Preview pane – not any part of Stacks. So it’s outside my area of influence. You’d have to try to get RW to make some change.

Currently Stacks does not allow Javascript in any of its webviews – so this will never attach to Stacks Edit mode, for instance.

But even asking RapidWeaver might be futile – I’m not sure it’s possible to block this feature. It seems like the whole point of this feature of Safari is to be able to debug every single JS context everywhere on the whole device (it works on iPhones too – which is, I think what most people use it for).

If you don’t want to do that, I think simply using the regular developer tools window (by Right clicking and choosing “Inspect”) is the way to go.

1 Like

Hi Isaiah,
As you said, may be it will be helpfull the review of RAPIDWEAVER (DAN), in order to understand if you check the box of Web Inspector into Stacks Preferences, into RW will enable the check box in Safari, but if you uncheck the box it will not uncheck it on Safari, that what apparently happens.
It’s true that not appear a Stack problem.
Meanwhile we find the troubleshot and a manual solution to it.
Thank you so much for your faster answer.

1 Like