Which stack to use for creating a database frontend

(Peter Kroman) #1

Hi,

I am working on a couple of database solutions, and I am looking for the right stack to use for that in my RW6, Stacks3, and Foundation environment.
I am also using a hosting partner who use the MariaDB, which should be similar to MySQL. But I need to be sure that I can get it all to work in my setup.
Any ideas out there :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

(Gregory Barchard) #2

Hi Peter

MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL that is faster and doesn’t have the legal burden that comes with MySQL (since it was acquired by oracle)

If you can, please describe your application a little better. Maybe there is something out there that does this already. Maybe Grid Iron could help eliminate a database entirely. If nothing exists, maybe something custom can be developed (if a budget exists)

Greg

(Peter Kroman) #3

Thanks @barchard

The databases I have in the pipeline are not too complicated.
It is typically something with 3-5 levels (drill down) ending with finding a multi-page document that should be presented as a kind of a "picture-book, in which you should be able to navigate.

A good example is this site where you have drill down choices in 4 levels, resulting in a list from which you can choose the relevant multi-page document.

http://ao.salldata.dk/index.php?type=kb&n1=København&n2=Sokkelund&n3=Christians

(Gregory Barchard) #4

I actually built something similar to this for a client. It was powered completely off of a CSV file that was added as a RapidWeaver resource. It was very specific to their application. If you’d like something custom designed and built, please let me know.

I will have to look at something similar for a future release of grid iron and see if it’s possible to pass URL parameters to pre-filter, search and sort the table.

Greg

(Scott Steven) #5

this is free http://stackapps.info and is useful

(Peter Kroman) #6

Thanks @scottsteven, but I believe that stackapps is not really supported. Isn’t that right?

@barchard I don’t believe that grid iron is the right solution for me in the long run. I need the freedom to be able to design the databases and the front ends my self :slight_smile: And I need to be able to create any size and form of solutions along the way. So I believe that a database solution is the right thing for me. Just need to find the right way to do it.
What about Kuler SQL - will that work with the MarisDB?

(Gregory Barchard) #7

MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL. Anything that uses MySQL can use MariaDB.

(Ronald Hufham) #8

How did your solution to link relational database data to populate RapidWeaver “template-like” pages work out?

The example you linked to at ao.salldata.dk… is exactly what I need.

Say, I want viewers to be able to type in their name (in my People table);
type in Correspondence, or photograph, or document (in my content table);
get a found result which can be selected one-by-one or in bulk and be displayed in a RW “template-like” page.

Tell all. I’m a little weary trying to solve what seems to me a basic web-site feature (present in WP, Squarespace, and Joomla!) and a little insulted by Joe Workman saying “We don’t need no stinking’ databases!”

Every other feature in RW7, Foundation, and Stacks3 is perfect in a spectacular way!

Thanks,

Ron Hufham

(Peter Kroman) #9

Hi @rightron

Actually I have not got a solution yet.

What I need is a solution/template where I can define dropdown menus that viewers can choose from, and that would bring them to the next level.

In this case it is access to about genealogical databases containing scanned pictures of original genealogical archives (birth-, death-, marriage-, census-, probate-, and other original certificates and books.

The archive files are organized in a number of levels as e.g. County, Region, Parish, leading to a list sorted by date/year from which you can choose and open the individual book you can browse through the scanned images in.

Your suggestion to use WP, Squarespace or Joomla! might be the way to move, but I have no experience with either of them - perhaps you can guide me at little bit here :slight_smile:

(Scott Steven) #10

Not sure if Stackapps will work for you. Not sure how the maintenance is it maybe fine,

(Ronald Hufham) #11

Thanks for your prompt response. I jettisoned WP, Squarespace, and
Joomla! - they all could handle the database problem, but were either
too feature-rich or feature-poor for me. After my first e-mail to you,
I think I’ve figured it out - I’m looking forward to using RapidWeaver,
Foundation, Stacks3, and Kuler MySql Stacks ($16) will certainly work
for me - and I think for you as well. At Youtube you can find several
video tutorials from Kuler - need to watch them twice to have their
workflow model to click:

• Load MySql database on web server
  • Import tables of data via Excel, CVS, Access to MySql using Navicat
    (or SQL Pro or PhpMyAdmin)
  • Model data in MySql to provide the tables MySql Stacks in
    RapidWeaver can display on the website in response to user filters
    using any of the above utilities.

If this isn’t clear, don’t hesitate to ask .

Ron Hufham

(Peter Kroman) #12

Hi again

I actually have purchased and installed Kuler SQL. But i don’t seem to be able to get it to do what I need. You can see a page here where I have tried to get it working, but the only thing I get is a long list of the content in one of the tables in the actual database - and no flexibility which I need :slight_smile:

http://genealogiskforum.dk/gravsten_test_10/

(Ronald Hufham) #13

I haven’t used it yet, but after watching their video tutorials on
YouTube you’ll see it probably works - You need a separate data stack
for each field you want to display - and I had to watch them twice
before it clicked in my addled brain

(Ronald Hufham) #14

On 8/11/16 2:06 AM, Ronald Hufham wrote and now ADDS:

I haven’t used it yet, but after watching their video tutorials on
YouTube you’ll see it probably works - You need a separate data stack
for each field you want to display (limit of 12) - and I had to watch
the videos twice before it clicked in my addled brain - I think this
is the workflow:

• Load MySql database on web server
  • Import your tables of data via Excel, CVS, Access to MySql using
    Navicat (or SQL Pro or PhpMyAdmin)
  • Model data in MySql to provide the tables MySql Stacks in
    RapidWeaver can display on the website in response to user filters
    using any of the above utilities - again using Navicat, etc…

Ron

(Peter Kroman) #15

I have seen all the videos about Kuler from 2011-2015 - but now I will check that out again :slight_smile:
Do you remember what it was that tricked you to understand how you can use Kuler to create a flexible frontend-GUI to your database?

(Peter Kroman) #16

@rightron Hi again,

I have now been through Kuler once again. Sad to say that this is not the solution. Kuler can present data from a MySQL database, but he can not create the user flexibility I am looking for. Besides it is very, very slow - I have three tables with appr 2500 lines of pure text (and it is only names), and it takes several minutes just to load it into the web page, and when I try to search in the Parish (Sogn) section I can take a good nap before anything shows up. So Kuler have to do better I believe :slight_smile: