10 months later... my website is DONE!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks much for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with Foundation nor with Big White Duck’s Chroma, Top Bar and MagicGellan.
My website uses the HIVE theme from Elixir Graphics.
Will look into your resources at my next major re-construction!

Best Regards,
Marian

1 Like

Marian-
Foundation is a blank theme… you build using stacks. So there was a learning curve, but not too steep coming from what I used before, which is the Volcano Theme from ThemeFlood.

Pop back in here to the forum if you have problems at your “next major re-construction” :slight_smile:
Lisa

Good afternoon from UK.
To browse your site, I am using Safari 10.1.2 on an 27" iMac 5K.

I have a passion for marketing so am interested in looking at other websites and where I feel they might help passing on any observations I might have. Because you are promoting design services as well, I’d think it essential to avoid making what I would consider basic mistakes So here are some observations on yours:

1.1 On the home page, I instinctively clicked on some photos on the banner expecting each to lead somewhere but none are linked (I assume none do, I haven’t tried them all.). I think you are missing an opportunity here. Clicking any of the photos could take the visitor to any of the pages that provide a complementary service.

1.2 Home page: The “Get started book a session” overlay shouldn’t mask the first photo: no point in having a photo underneath if it cannot be seen. I’d position the get started, etc above the person’s face, or remove the photo and have the text on white background, or maybe use another photo where it doesn’t matter so much that the top part can’t be seen.

1.3 Home page: “On the blog” - For the photos above the button 'More" I’d enable the photos themselves to be clicked, link to the same place that more would take the site visitor.

1.4 Home page: Subscribe to your mailing list. i do not know if you use a third party or intermediary for mailing list management but if so then I suggest checking whether the list management provider blocks email addresses that it considers spam. I encounter this regularly with USA websites. My email address starts with a word that I am told is on the more popular list manager providers non-compliance list. Since anyone wanting to subscribe to your newsletter shouldn’t be barred by a third party because of that third party’s decision over what it considers an acceptable email, you risk losing potential customers. Frankly I think using a list manager third party for with respect small business websites is a mistake: big companies can afford to lose potential customers, small business cannot. Whenever I encounter this hurdle, either I contact the website owner direct and arrange for the email to be allowed or delete the website from my list of potential suppliers. It has been suggested I get an “acceptable” email but since my email is acceptable for all but some third party mailing list providers there is simply no way I am going to change it or go to the bother of having to remember which email to use.

1.5 Home Page: On the services drop-down box. I’d delete the word ‘Services’ from each: not necessary. For example, “Lifestyle Services” would simply be “Lifestyle”. The same principle applies to the Portfolio drop-down box: for example: “Retouching Portfolios” would be “Retouching”. (It might also be better to use less technical terminology? )

1.6 On the portfolio page(s) Clicking a thumbnail for a larger picture I found rather slow to load. On my first attempt, the photo seemed to hang and I almost gave up. My Imac is 4 GHz Intel Core i7 and 32GB memory and generally i find clicking thumbnail to larger size to be quicker. You might want to address loading speed?

1.7 Blog page: I’m not a fan of what I consider to be a waste of the prime top part of a website (Banner area) with a massive photo: photos yes and for a photographer a necessity but does it really have to be so deep. The depth forces the site visitor to scroll down so if they’re not enamoured then you’d lose their interest in going further. I realise the trend is to have scroll down pages that apparently are better for viewing on tablets and smart phones but personally I dislike that sort of layout. I much prefer excellent navigation that doesn’t require my head and eyes to have to move up and down etc.

1.8 On the home page, what’s the purpose of the up icon/arrow (next to 'Lifestyle Photography"? It doesn’t appear to do anything.

1.9 On the services pages, the opening content is center ((centre) alignment. If you really must (and frankly I think it looks amateurish) then at least construct the layout with some line breaks so that the impact of the words isn’t lost: that’s challenging on a response site. In my opinion, it would be better to have left hand justification to complement the alignment of the text beneath the various photos.

1.10 On the contacts form, get rid of the reCaptcha Test! So old-fashioned, for visitors to be required to pass a test before being able to contact you is a real turn off. If you want something to prove the visitor isn’t a robot there are I feel sure plenty of alternatives that are simpler for the user to do and just as effective. Or you ask your ISP to provide a service which intercepts junk mail before it reaches your inboxL I pay about £25 GBP ( $32) a year and the volume of spam I receive is maybe no more than 2-3 a day, compared to the hundreds I was getting before. Or you do could as I do and take a chance that most inquirers are people!

As I said, just some observations.

Otherwise an attractive site and wish you all. the best with it.

1 Like

While I appreciate any comments, I find most of them to be superfluous… you did use quite a lot of words to say such a little… I do live in the US, and so do my clients, so I will stick to trends that work here where I live.

Coming from a design background, I’m not fond of the huge banner either, but as you said, it is the trend now and most are used to it, knowing they need to scroll down for everything.

1.8: Obviously you don’t understand sticky menus. The up arrow will work if you go down the page. It won’t work if you’re already at the top of the page… why would it?

I don’t mind fixing: 1.3… good suggestion.

thanks, Lisa

Fair enough. Others might find my observations useful. Or not!

As for lots of words, I could’ve said…

1.1 Photos don’t link. Missed opportunity.
1.2 ‘Get started’ overlay: messy.
1.3 see 1.1
1.4 Mailing list compliance issues likely
1.5 Superflous words
1.6 Photos slow to load
1.7 Space filler
1.8 Up arrow does’t do anything.
1.9 Centre alignment amateurish,
1.10 ReCaptcha Test turn off - see https://gizmodo.com/google-has-finally-killed-the-captcha-1793190374 and http://linuxbsdos.com/2014/12/03/no-captcha-recaptcha-is-as-annoying-as-recaptcha-if/

… but you might’ve asked me to explain. and others might’ve criticised me (as they might still) for being harsh!

1 Like

Ha. Whatever works for you. Never have I heard center alignment is amateurish. Tell that to Apple.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive so others can see it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SteveB there you go. I had to look her up :wink: I’m binge watching Downton Abbey right now, so unless she’s on that, I wouldn’t know who she is.

Gotta love Maggie Smith!

With respect, there a big difference between Apple’s website design and your website!

Centred text - http://uxmovement.com/content/why-you-should-never-center-align-paragraph-text/ AND http://www.printwand.com/blog/basic-alignment-principles-in-graphic-design-with-examples

Lisa said “Any comments welcome”

I commented.

No I’ve never read " how to…"

I’m not interested in ‘winning’ friends’ let alone influencing people. Very 20th century!

But thanks for thinking Lisa needs someone to stand up for her!

1 Like

I can always count on you, @SteveB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At the suggestion of some, I’m working on redesigning my logo.

I’ve bended to the trend of cursive and condensed handwritten fonts, used by a lot of photographers. Hopefully mine is a little different…

What do my regulars think? Does one work better for you?

2017-moments-clear
2017-moments2

@SteveB my old logo was almost 30 years old! I do think the “sign” look is back in some ways, but I prefer the first one as well.

It does scale fine for my website logo, though there’s this as well…
2017-moments-3

2 Likes

Font is called “moments.” It’s got a bit of a retro feel but still modern, as of now, anyway :slight_smile:

I’m happy for suggestions from my regulars, but mog was pretty random. Not worth fighting, imho :slight_smile: Nice of you to be there for me though.

I’m not one of the regulars but the joining of your first and last name and the extended space between the “L” and the “E” in your last name really stand out to me.

1 Like

@LeBlanc “stand out” can mean good or bad… I get that there is a lot of space between the l and e, but do you mean you’d like the first and last name separated?

I’d separate your first and last, and the L and the E maybe tuck them closer together. It always catches my eye when one of the script fonts kerning throws a letter farther apart.

This really jumps ahead of your old logo though!

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: Not sure I want to separate the first and last name, but I can play around with that and the spacing on the l and e. For now I still like the first and last name joined :slight_smile:

Here’s the latest with the l/e closer. Took a bit of manipulation in Illustrator.
2017-moments-email

I prefer the type of logo that someone mocked up in post 3 above. For a web logo to work well it has to be heavy enough to be readable when used in a TopBar or NavBar on mobile. As nice as the new one under discussion is, it is too light and ornate to be visible on a mobile navigation. Cursive script typeface are fine when displayed in a large format but I think only work well when the text is short and typeface is heavy. The Realmac logo is a great example of one that works.

2 Likes