Adding photos into RW8

Hi there. I am using the Engineer theme. I need to add some photos on to various pages. I was hoping to be able to drag and drop as one would do with pages, but it doesn’t seem to be working for me. I have watched the tutorial where Dan uses markdown. However, I am not a developer, so don’t know how to use it. Also the photos are personal photos, so do not have a URL but I have uploaded them into upslash resources. Does anybody have any idea how I can do it?

Thank you!

You don’t need to be a developer or even know anything about coding to use Markdown. It’s easy to learn and really only takes about a half hour to pickup.

Now that being said you don’t have to use Markdown to place images on a page. You should be able to to drag and drop the image from resources to a page. It would be helpful if you could tell us what type of page you are using? Styled text, Markdown or stacks might work a little differently. Also what exactly is happening when you try?

If you want to learn a bit more about images and Markdown check out this post:

Are you using stacks or just Add-on pages

Hi. I am using styled text. So, I was hoping that photos could go on the right hand side - I presumed this was meant by the ‘side bar’ but it seems the side bar in engineer is at the bottom of the page. This looks okay, although I am finding it tricky to get the sizing of the photographs right by using the scale function.

Also, one very basic question. Once I publish this site I will be wanting to make changes and additions to it. How do I go about doing that?

Neither actually :grimacing: Should I be?

You can use RW out of the box or you can get hold of the Stacks 3 plug in here: http://yourhead.com/stacks/ and open up a new world of Rapidweaver possibilities. It’s a bit more expense but you will be able to be a lot more creative with your layout without the complexities of styled text pages. Once you have the stacks plug-in there are hundreds of individual stacks available to do pretty much anything you could want.

As far as adding photos, you can drag n drop from the desktop or another Folder and from Resources, but probably not from a web browser - you need to get it on your Mac first.

Within Styled Text you can align images left or right using the HTML option at the bottom of page.

All in all, layout with Styled text is a bit fiddly - I’d definitely go with Stacks

1 Like

Joanna,
I’m not at my Mac right now, and I’m no expert on styled text as I really never use it.
As for Engineer putting the sidebar at the bottom, I think you do have some control over that in the master style settings.
Engineer is based on Bootstrap 4’s 12 grid column system. So in master styles you will see to sliders to set the number “grid units” to use for main content and sidebar.
The way this works is once the total reaches 12 the next section will move down.
So simple set the “main content to a number like 8 and the sidebar to 4(as long as they total to 12) and the sidebar should move up to the side. Now on mobile it might still move back to the bottom (not at a Mac so can’t test this.
Take a look at the screenshot in this post:

Not sure if this would be the best approach (placing (images on the sidebar) since I don’t know what exactly you are looking for.

For the most part you simply hit the publishing button again. RapidWeaver is pretty good at keeping track of what changed and publishes the changes. Sometimes you may need to select publish all pages, but again pretty simple.
RapidWeaver will not and should not ever delete anything from your hosted site. Depending on who you’re hosting with, most have a file manager similar to finder to manually delete pages.

Thanks LJ - I think Stacks will be my Christmas present to myself!

Thanks Doug. You have answered my questions…one more thing. My site is looking good on all devices except iPhone SE and iPhone 8. Any ideas how to remedy this. And presumably it will be responsive on android devices too?

just beware of buying individual stacks - its highly addictive!

1 Like

Agree with that, take your time picking.

Do you have a URL to your site?
Hard to say without seeing the site, and a little more info on “what doesn’t look good”.

HI - just published the site. I haven’t felt this proud of myself in ages! Feel like a little kid! http://remotemedic.ie
I know there is lots of room for improvement, but considering 3 days ago I thought I wouldn’t be able to do this I am happy enough for now. Thank you RAPIDWEAVER! But it is not working on Samsung, iPhone 8 and SE and iPhone 6 plus. You It is either cutting off the width of the banner photo or the length of the banner photo.
Any suggestions as to how I can fix this would be welcome!

You can try to add the follow custom CSS:

@media (max-width: 575px) {
    h1.hero-title {
        font-size: 3rem;
    }

p.hero-slogan.display-4 {
        font-size: 2.5rem;
    }
}

Thanks Doug. Do you mean to fix the display on the phones problem?

like this?

Yes,

That looks good, I haven’t tested that code, so give it a try with the simulator first.

okay :grimacing: simulator??

Sorry my brain is mangled. Simulator! of course!

No, still not working, I’m afraid

I just gave a quick test and it should work. Is the text getting smaller on the iPhone SE?