Adding photos into RW8

According to the simulator this is what it looks like now. I have just asked a friend with an iPhone X and its the same on his phone, even though the simulator shows the iPhone X as good.

iPhone SE in landscape is good, but portrait the banner photo both sides are cut off

iPhone 8 in portrait is good.

How does one know how it looks on Android phones when they are not in the simulator?

And same problems with portrait and landscape with iPhone 6plus and iPhone 5

I just made a few changes to the text on the site and it says it cannot now publish to the server. Hmmm…perhaps this is all more complicated than I thought!:grimacing:

There are so many devices to choose from out there that RapidWeaver only shows the apple ones. There is a custom one that you can “make your own” device. You can open multiple simulator windows, save a “layout” (multiple windows) and reopen them later. Just click the little menu bar (top right of simulator window).

2018-12-13_14-01-33

As for the cutting off, you can try reducing the sizes I gave you.(3rem and 2.5rem). A rem is a root em (font measurement), so a 3rem is 3 times the size of the base font. The other thing you could do is try a space in between Remote and Medic. The browser will split them on to a second line if needed.

Would need more details to get help with that.

1 Like

Thanks again Doug! I typed in the code again. But no difference. Is there an apply button that I am missing or something?
In relation to the problem with publishing…

Sorry, this one may be more helpful

no, not really, I have noticed that sometimes the new “simulator” doesn’t always seem to update live. I can usually shut it down and relaunch. I also have had to “change” something on the page to get it to apply. You can also try restarting rapidweaver.

As to the publishing issue, probably would help if you provided a screenshot of the publishing settings, and who you host with.

Hmmm…the issue with phones is not only the width of the banner, it is also the height of the banner. The banner is not tall enough, so the last line of the slogan disappears.

I host with a company called LetsHost in Dublin. No problems publishing earlier on today. I did a few edits, republished a few times successfully, then suddenly it stopped working. Is this something my hosting company could help with?
They have no problems answering the phone.

Just tried to republish - no luck!

I would try the test button, that should check your credentials (username and password. If that works then it could be a number of things like path, connections or Mode. Since this, all worked earlier and nothing got changed, and the message says “couldn’t Sign in” I might as the hosting company to have a look. You have a new account and they may have suspended your login (automatically) because of failed attempts or other issues.

You can also have a look at the KB article:
https://help.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver-troubleshooting/how-to-fix-ftp-publishing-issues

Thanks so much for your help Doug!
Strange thing…I have just had another look at my site live and the edits I have done have been made. Thats really odd as I clearly got the error message every time I tried to update.

A few tips if they haven’t already been mentioned:

1. The ‘Path’ setting in publishing settings should be set to public_html

The root folder for your domain on the server contains various folders - one of which is designed to contain your website files. Whilst the name of this folder does vary from host to host, letshost.ie use public_html which is a very common one.

Your Rapidweaver files are most probably scattered over the root folder and should be removed using ftp. You should then re-publish all files to the public_html folder. If you want to see clearly what the Rapidweaver folders are before you go removing anything, go into your project and click File > Export Site. This will export your project files/folders to your Mac (desktop is fine) and you can then see all the project contents to be removed from the server.

1. A second important issue is that your pages are not named properly. Each page URL shows as remotemedic.ie/styled-xx. They should show as something more meaningful e.g. remotemedic.ie/testimonials. See attached screengrab.

Banners_and_Alerts_and_Untitled !

1. In a similar vein, the sub titles on each page (on the banner image) are all the same. These should be changed to something relevant to the page content.

2. and 3) are basic SEO considerations so will help your site ranking

Thank you so much manofdogz. Really appreciate your help.

Joanna Peare
+353 (0)83 8176808

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.