Are My Images too Large?

Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone could tell me if (a) my website is slow (or not) and (b) if my images are too large? I realize this might take some time, and I really appreciate an feedback you may have! Thanks in advance!!!
http://www.jonmessner.com

You have some fairly large images on your site, here is a screenshot of the images and their sizes:

The best thing to do is to take those images and put them through

and that site will reduce the image sizes. It works with both jpg and png so do not let the name scare you. I would do ALL of your images, even the small ones can get reduced and that will help with load times.

1 Like

Zeebe, thank you very much! I really appreciate it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Zeebe, should I also run my site logo through the compressor?

No problem, if you are new to web design and stuff, you should really learn the web inspector in Safari, it will help you out a lot. Here is a google search on some tips about the web inspector:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&ei=UK99WszfJsWpjwSAgI_AAw&q=learning+the+web+inspector+in+safari&oq=learning+the+web+inspector+in+safari&gs_l=psy-ab.3…4336.4519.0.4521.3.2.0.0.0.0.90.90.1.1.0…0…1c.1.64.psy-ab…2.0.0…0.RrPuH3E7t9g

Yes, I would run the logo through as well, can’t hurt anything.

2 Likes
  • Reduce
  • Resize
  • Optimism
    You have about 90% of your page weight in images.
    First look and see if all the images add value to your site.
    Second resize the images so they aren’t any larger (wider) than the largest area they can be displayed on.
    Third run them through an optimizer.

A good free tool to give details on performance:
http://www.webpagetest.org

1 Like

Zeebe, are there “standards” for image sizes? This is the last question I promise!!

Teefers, thank you! Where can I found out what the width of the RW blog? I really appreciate your input!

It all depends on what you are using the image for. You really want to try to keep images under 300k for sure if you can.

Zeebe, thank you very much!! :slight_smile:

There’s a number of “ruler apps” available. I currently have been using one called pixel-ruler (if I remember correctly, not at the Mac right now). It’s available on the AppStore and wasn’t expensive.
Anyway, it runs on top of your browser, and you can read in pixels how wide anything on your screen is. It is probably not exact but close enough to resize images.
You need to remember that if you’re using a responsive theme that the largest display size may not be at the wider widths. Resize your browser’s window and when the picture is the widest take your measurements then.
You can then use preview to resize the image to be no wider then the widest size it will display. This is a way of lossless file size reduction.
If you have a lot of images that need to be resized to the same widths, there’s many tools that can automate that process. Photo bulk is one I use, as it resizes and optimizes at the same time.
Make sure you do optimize the images before publishing. Most of the optimizing products allow you to adjust the level of optimization, as this does distort the image quality as well. It’s a balancing act of speed vs. quality.

Doug,
You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you very much!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.