Armadillo Blog's "duplicate entry" error message

Based on glowing reviews of Armadillo, yesterday I purchased the product with the idea of creating a simple blog on a test site. But after two work-days I’m yet to reproduce what the sales talk promised: a functional blog.

< rant >I’d heard there was a learning curve with Armadillo, but no one mentioned that I’d need crampons to figure this one out. < /rant >< apology >(Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.)< /apology >

The problem is that I get an error message when I publish a blog-page using the “Armadillo Blog” stack. However, I am able to publish/post a single page using the “Armadillo Page” stack, a stack that the developer urges us not to use. (Note: All stacks are up to date; RapidWeaver v7.4.1.)

What have I done/not done to prevent the Blog stack from working? (Why does the Armadillo Blog stack not work?)

What follows are the steps I’ve taken to produce a blog at barvacolour.com.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you can offer!

John

1. Created and published a simple post

1. Confirmed the correct Post [Content] ID #: 13

1. Used Armadillo Blog stack

1. Entered matching Post/Content ID# 13

1. Error message after publishing: Duplicate entry ‘13’
    Duplicate entry 13 error message

1. Tried Blog (AKA “Pages”) ID# 14

1. Entered matching Post/Content ID# 14

1. Error message after publishing: Duplicate entry ‘14’
    Duplicate entry error message

1. Used Armadillo Page stack

1. Entered matching Post/Content ID# 13

1. Test Post page successfully published—but only with Armadillo Page stack
    Test post page published (without metadata)

Hi John, Just guessing, have you tried to select the blog from the menu?

Best19dbb5945bebdc58a426d82e67e73b85928d39b7_1_684x499

Pedro, there is nothing to select when clicking on Select Blog. No options are available when clicking on it.

I wonder if the database is corrupt, which would account for other weird behaviour going on, such has having to log-out to go from the Dashboard’s Pages menu to Posts. (The Cancel button is inoperative.)

I’m tempted to scrap the whole thing (including deleting the database) and starting again.

Thanks for the suggestion!

John

What happens when you click +Add New Blog?

Rob

I don’t have time to look at the details of this, but in my Armadillo setups each blog (think of it as the master setting) has a specific page in the Pages tab. Then each post within that page is on the Posts tab.

It looks like you did not do one of the key early steps but I’m not sure where. As @robbeattie mentions: what happens when you try “Add New Blog”? It should take you to a page where you can create a new master blog page. That, in turn, will be listed under the Pages tab. Then make sure you have a page in your RW site that uses that new Blog page with the exact same ID #. ID# are incredibly important in this setup.

I can’t do anything today, but if you personal message me and provide me with login credentials (and relevant login page link) then I can take a look for you.

Hi John,

Based on your screenshots, it appears you are missing a blog page; instead there is just a standard page (the one referenced with content ID 14 that you’ve titled “Test BLOG Title”).

During online setup a blog page should have been created for you. If it wasn’t (or was deleted accidentally) you can create a new one by using the “Add New Blog” button that @peppermint, @robbeattie and @Mathew mentioned.

Once you have a blog page created, you can then create posts for that blog and those posts will be displayed via the Armadillo Blog stack.

Hope this helps.

7 Sept 2017

Update

Rob:
Thanks to you and Pedro, I realized that there was nothing to click upon on the Select Blog pull-down because there was no blog set up in the first place! I had added an Armadillo Blog stack to the RW site and set what I thought was the correct content ID#, but on the Dashboard, the Blog itself was somehow missing. I assume that was the source of the ‘duplicate entry’ error message.

Matthew:
Your splendid explanation turned the key to my understanding:

…(Add New Blog should) take you to a page where you can create a new master blog page. That, in turn, will be listed under the Pages tab. Then make sure you have a page in your RW site that uses that new Blog page with the exact same ID #….

The ‘master’ blog page houses its posts…got it!

By the way, your video of a general overview of Armadillo and its installation was and is of tremendous value to me. (I haven’t quite figured out how to properly configure JumpStack and Glider in the blog page.)

Jonathon:
Armadillo’s Dashboard nomenclature confused me. I couldn’t see the difference between Posts and Pages, since I understood ‘pages’ to be part of a blog post, not a blog in its own right. But with your explanation…

Once you have a blog page created, you can then create posts for that blog and those posts will be displayed via the Armadillo Blog stack…

…I understand that the Dashboard’s “Pages” refer to stand-alone, independent blogs, each with their unique ID number and set of posts. That realization cleared the path to my ultimate goal: to create multiple, unique blogs on a single RW site, some of which to be embedded within a Sitelok stack and viewable only after visitor log-in. I now know Armadillo works with Sitelok; today I successfully tested and proved it!

So special thanks to Pedro, Rob, Matthew, and Jonathon for helping me with this.

By the way, I heard indirectly that the Armadillo stack (just the Armadillo stack itself used initially for installation) can be deleted from the RW project after Armadillo has been installed. Is that correct?

Cheers, mates.

John

PS: Based on the above advice, here are steps I took to successfully publish a post.

1. Ready to “Add New Blog”

1. Result of clicking on +Add New Blog

1. Created Sample Blog Title

1. Result of publishing above blog title

1. Ready to create first post

1. Ready to publish sample post text

1. Resulting post and its corresponding ID#

1. Confirmed content ID#

1. Added Content ID# to Armadillo Blog

1. Published post as seen online

I’m glad the video and previous post helped a bit. I may not be able to look at the Glider and Jump stack question until Sunday or Monday.

Oops, I lied. I easily found the relevant files and have posted an example RW project for John via personal message.

…I understand that the Dashboard’s “Pages” refer to stand-alone, independent blogs, each with their unique ID number and set of posts.

To add more clarification, “Pages” are not solely stand-alone, independent blogs. A “blog” is a type of “Page” (hence why they are listed in the Pages tab), but you can have a “page” that is not a blog at all, just a separate page in and of itself, completely unrelated to posts.

Hope this helps.