Basic Formating Issues

So all I am trying to do is create a simple website. I use the basic Text stack from the libray.
However as my spelling/grammer is poor I have to copy and paste the text into Word.

If I try to copy and paste this back into RapidWeaver 8 it messed up the format…
I then have to copy the text into TextEdit and remove the formatting.
I then copy this text back into Rapidweaver.

Now for some unknown and frustrating reason RW has decided to add bullet points to the beginning to every sentence.

(These apps are suppose to allow you to build a website without knowing and code. However I have to look at the code to try to figure out where these magic bullet points come from!)

Which of course I don’t understand…
Can anyone help?
Also there seems to be no way to increase letter size?
also when you try to format any text to the center it doens’t work.
There is no ruler at the top like in MS Word to edit formating issues…
It is also not possible to tell what format the current text is using…

1 Like

Hi Paul,

in websites one should always use unformatted text. You can remove formatting in the Text stack, make words bold or italic, create bullets or remove them. Font sizes can be adapted in the inspector. It’s a different approach than Word.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 13.15.19

Hans

Take a look…Never Use Word!!!
Use pages…
And try this on any copied text:

@ukmercenary ,
it’s always best practice when copying content from any other sources to make sure you from the edit menu select Paste as Plain Text (⌥Opt+⌘ Cmd+V) and not just paste normally (⌘ Cmd+V).

Word, Excel, numbers, Pages, even the built-in TextEdit(defaults to using RTF) will all insert formatting information on a straight paste.

2 Likes

Ok guys thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Something which baffled me but I found by luck was right clicking in the Text field then on the menu scrolling down to Font > Show Fonts.

Then it was clear that the font was wrong on one of my pages. I really think they should and that to the context menu on the right!

I have to us MS Word as I need to make sure my Grammer and Spelling is correct!

Other questions if I may…I have bought Stacks 4 and Stacks Foundation 6 (To be honest I think I don’t even need them).

Joe advised that his stacks (from Stacks Foundation 6) don’t work in regular RW8 templates. (Wish I had of known that before I had paid for it anyway).

Why do they develop stacks which are incompatible seems pointless.
Anyway it is possible for me to group stacks by developer? (i.e Stacks 4 and Stacks Foundation 6).

The reason I ask was I was going to create a contact form for my website so users can contact me. So I had started to use a contact from stack from Stacks Foundation 6) Joe advised me it wouldn’t work with a standard RW8 template!.

Does RW8 come with a built in user contact form?
I don’t really want to have to pay every time I want to add something to my website( I am not a programmer but I know enough to get by) also where is the fun in learning if we have to pay for everything!

There is a built-in contact form.

When you add a page simply select it instead of the stacks page.

Several packages exist that are called Frameworks, like Foundation 6. These packages include a theme and a set of stacks that have to be used together. The included stacks often rely on code that is part of the theme. This can allow more efficient (faster) page loads.

The downside is that these stacks only will work with the theme that they come with.

All of these Frameworks start you with a blank page, Thus giving you the user more complete control of how the pages look and function.

Traditional themes have the advantage of someone else doing the look and feel part for you. There are great for ease of use, but you’re limited to what the theme designer allows.

I believe @joeworkman has several sample projects to start you out with. With Foundation 6 and most of the other frameworks, you should be able to replicate the look and feel of most of the traditional themes.

It takes a bit of work to learn and use these frameworks, but the flexibility they provide is well worth it for other than the simplest of sites.

All the frameworks will only work with a stacks page.

Most standalone stacks are compatible with all the frameworks and themes.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks alot sorry one more question. For some reason Google won’t update my page meta descriptions for the page titles. I have tripped checked RapidWeaver is showing them correctly. However Google still has them wrong…

If I run RW Health check it is complaining about my page titles…which makes no sense as it does have them.

My basic understanding of HTML code is the Heading should look like this:

<head> <br/> <title>This is My Title</title><br/></head><br/><br/><br/>

If I look at the code for my site

<meta charset="utf-8" />

<!-- User defined head content such as meta tags and encoding options -->
<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary">
<meta name="twitter:title" content="PC Healer, Friendly local PC & Mac repair service near Westferry E14 on DLR and Canary Wharf London and surrounding areas.">
<meta name="twitter:description" content="PC Healer, Friendly local PC & Mac repair service near Westferry E14 on DLR and Canary Wharf London and surrounding areas. ">
<meta name="twitter:image" content="https://pc-healer.co.uk/resources/photo-1593642632823-8f785ba67e45.jpg">
<meta name="twitter:url" content="https://pc-healer.co.uk/index.html">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="PC-Healer.co.uk">
<meta property="og:title" content="PC Healer, Friendly local PC & Mac repair service near Westferry E14 on DLR and Canary Wharf London and surrounding areas.">
<meta property="og:description" content="PC Healer, Friendly local PC & Mac repair service near Westferry E14 on DLR and Canary Wharf London and surrounding areas. ">
<meta property="og:image" content="https://pc-healer.co.uk/resources/photo-1593642632823-8f785ba67e45.jpg">
<meta property="og:url" content="https://pc-healer.co.uk/index.html">

<!-- User defined head content -->

<!-- Meta tags -->
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0" />

<title>PC Healer, Friendly local PC & Mac repair service near Westferry E14 on DLR and Canary Wharf London and surrounding areas.</title>

<!-- CSS stylesheets reset -->
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="rw_common/themes/tesla/consolidated.css" />

<!-- CSS for the Foundation framework's CSS that handles the responsive columnized layout -->

<!-- Main Stylesheet -->

<!-- RapidWeaver Color Picker Stylesheet -->

<!-- Theme specific media queries -->

<!-- Base RapidWeaver javascript -->
	<script type="text/javascript" src="rw_common/themes/tesla/javascript.js"></script>

<!-- jQuery 1.8 is included in the theme internally -->
  <script src="rw_common/themes/tesla/js/jquery.min.js"></script>

<!-- Theme specific javascript, along with jQuery Easing and a few other elements -->
  <script src="rw_common/themes/tesla/js/elixir.js"></script>

<!-- Style variations -->
	<script src="rw_common/themes/tesla/js/sidebar/sidebar_hidden.js"></script>

<!-- User defined styles -->

<!-- User defined javascript -->

<!-- Plugin injected code -->
			<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' media='all' href='rw_common/plugins/stacks/stacks.css' />
	<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' media='all' href='files/stacks_page_page0.css' />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="rw_common/plugins/stacks/font-awesome.min.css">

<meta name="formatter" content="Stacks v4.2.2 (5479)" >
	<meta class="stacks4 stack version" id="ws.foundation.html" name="HTML" content="6.9.2">
	<meta class="stacks4 stack version" id="com.joeworkman.stacks.fontawesome" name="Font Awesome" content="1.4.0">

</head>

<!-- This page was created with RapidWeaver from Realmac Software. http://www.realmacsoftware.com -->

<body>

<header role="banner">

<!-- Site Logo -->
			<div id="logo" data-0="opacity: 1;" data-top-bottom="opacity: 0;" data-anchor-target="#logo">

</div>

<div id="title_wrapper">
					<!-- Site Title -->
					<h1 id="site_title" data-0="opacity: 1; top:0px;" data-600="opacity: 0; top: 80px;" data-anchor-target="#site_title">
						PC-Healer.co.uk
					</h1>

<!-- Site Slogan -->
					<h2 id="site_slogan" data-0="opacity: 1; top:0px;" data-600="opacity: 0; top: 80px;" data-anchor-target="#site_slogan">
						Repairing your PC back to life...
					</h2>

<!-- Scroll down button -->
					<div id="scroll_down_button" data-0="opacity: 1; top:0px;" data-400="opacity: 0; top: 100px;" data-anchor-target="#scroll_down_button">
						<i class="fa fa-angle-down"></i>
					</div>
			</div>

<!-- Top level navigation -->
			<div id="navigation_bar">
				<div class="row site_width">
					<div class="large-12 columns">
						<nav id="top_navigation"><ul><li><a href="./" rel="" id="current">Home</a></li><li><a href="AboutUs/" rel="">About Us</a></li><li><a href="Support/" rel="">Support</a></li></ul></nav>
					</div>
				</div>
			</div>

</header>

<!-- Sub-navigation -->
	<div id="sub_navigation_bar">
		<div class="row site_width">
			<div class="large-12 columns">
				<nav id="sub_navigation"><ul></ul></nav>
			</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<!-- Mobile Navigation -->
	<div id="mobile_navigation_toggle">
		<i id="mobile_navigation_toggle_icon" class="fa fa-bars"></i>
	</div>
	<nav id="mobile_navigation">
		<ul><li><a href="./" rel="" id="current">Home</a></li><li><a href="AboutUs/" rel="">About Us</a></li><li><a href="Support/" rel="">Support</a></li></ul>
	</nav>

<!-- Main Content area and sidebar -->
	<div class="row site_width" id="container">
		<section id="content"class="large-8 columns">

Welcome to PC Healer, in today’s modern age we rely on are computers more than ever. Here at PC Healer, we recognise that and offer a wide range of PC, iPhone & Mac Repair Services to get you back up and running as soon as possible. We offer No Fix No Fee (diagnostics charge may apply).

Paul the owner has over 20 years’ experience in IT Support working from some of the world’s largest companies including McLaren & Kronos Systems LTD.

Based near Westferry on the DLR and near to Canary Wharf London

Mobile: 07876033916
(Please mention PC Healer when you phone)

</section>
		<aside id="sidebar" class="large-4 columns">
			<!-- Sidebar content -->
			<h4 id="sidebar_title"></h4>
			<div id="sidebar_content"></div>
			<div id="archives">

</div>
		</aside>
	</div>

<!-- Footer -->
	<footer class="row site_width">
		<div id="footer_content" class="large-12 columns">
			<div id="breadcrumb_container">
				<i class="fa fa-folder-open-o"></i> <span id="breadcrumb"></span>
			</div>
			&copy; 2021 Paul Sheraton <a href="#" id="rw_email_contact">Contact Me</a><script type="text/javascript">var _rwObsfuscatedHref0 = "mai";var _rwObsfuscatedHref1 = "lto";var _rwObsfuscatedHref2 = ":he";var _rwObsfuscatedHref3 = "lp@";var _rwObsfuscatedHref4 = "pc-";var _rwObsfuscatedHref5 = "hea";var _rwObsfuscatedHref6 = "ler";var _rwObsfuscatedHref7 = ".co";var _rwObsfuscatedHref8 = ".uk";var _rwObsfuscatedHref = _rwObsfuscatedHref0+_rwObsfuscatedHref1+_rwObsfuscatedHref2+_rwObsfuscatedHref3+_rwObsfuscatedHref4+_rwObsfuscatedHref5+_rwObsfuscatedHref6+_rwObsfuscatedHref7+_rwObsfuscatedHref8; document.getElementById("rw_email_contact").href = _rwObsfuscatedHref;</script>
		</div>
	</footer>

<!-- Scroll up button -->
	<div id="scroll_up_button"><i class="fa fa-angle-up"></i></div>

<!-- Handles loading Skrollr, which helps in animating portions of the header area. -->
	<!-- We check to see if the user is on an mobile device or not, and only serve up -->
	<!-- the animations on non-mobile devices. -->
	<script>
		$elixir(window).load(function() {
		  if(!(/Android|iPhone|iPad|iPod|BlackBerry|Windows Phone/i).test(navigator.userAgent || navigator.vendor || window.opera)){
		      skrollr.init({
		          forceHeight: false
		      });
		  }
		});
	</script>

</body>

It says something about "User defined head content such as meta tags and encoding options "

Which of course is gibberish to me…

It could be tHat Google hasn’t yet rescanned the site, or applied the updates to the SERP.
Or

The title tag and meta description are merely suggestions for what the search engines should display in the results. Google and Bing and other search engines are under no obligation to display exactly what you want them to display. In fact, in many cases, the search engines won’t display the title tag and meta description you specified.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.