Foundation, TotalCMS and Stacks 3 Partials

If I create a Partial with Stacks 3, some Foundation Stacks (some other Stacks too), don’t have the little Pin icon to edit the content. I don’t find a rule for that issue, some Stacks work, some don’t. For example, some of the Foundation Form Stacks working, some not. Or if I use a 1 Column Stack as a Partial Container and place a 2 Column Stack inside, than the 2 Column Stack shows the Icon and it is editable. If I place a Foundation Paragraph Stack inside one of the Columns, than the Icon for the 2 Column Stack disappears and now the Paragraph Stack got it.

I run a 2x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.5, latest Versions of RW, Stacks3 and all other installed Stacks.

I’d made the test in a new Foundation Project, with Sitestyles and a Foundation 1 Column Stack…

Sorry, you lost me… I couldn’t follow.

@WDA, generally speaking (and I learning this from @joeworkman and his handyman @zeebe), if the stack has no content and the only variables to edit are in the Stacks pane, then those items will not be editable inside of a partial because they are locked (i.e.: linked/anchor stack). If you made a partial inside a partial then the new inner partial is the container and locked if I understand you correctly. Some of the Foundation stacks packs only pull data from the site info pane, such as site title, site slogan, site image, footer text.) Mostly I have learned this through trial and error.

Or if I use a 1 Column Stack as a Partial Container and place a 2 Column Stack inside, than the 2 Column Stack shows the Icon and it is editable. If I place a Foundation Paragraph Stack inside one of the Columns, than the Icon for the 2 Column Stack disappears and now the Paragraph Stack got it.

In this instance, you have embedded a stack in one of the columns of the two column stack, hence the 2 column stack is no longer editable but the paragraph is, I suggest leaving the paragraph stack out and just leave the 2 column stack as the partial and add your paragraph after saving the partial and using it on a page.

HTH
Brad

I think it’s easier to show this with screenshots.

A new 1 Column Partial - the blue Pin Icon shows that this is editable

Now I add a Paragraph Stack to the Partial, it’s editable too

Now I move the Paragraph Stack into the 1 Column Stack that is now no longer editable

Here are some examples with Foundation Stacks - some are editable some not

sorry for my broken english…

@WDA, my answer still applies…

Contents in a Partial that do not have the pin available are only adjustable inside the Partial, not outside the Partial.
Contents in a Partial that do have a pin can be locked or made editable outside the Partial but ALL Locked items are editable INSIDE the Partial

Your Column/Paragraph example - the paragraph is contained within the container that is locked because you put content in it, hence no longer editable, leave the paragraph out of the partial and add it on page.

Button stack uses the Stack Inspector to make changes… therefore not editable outside a Partial
Inline Nav - same thing, but it automatically adds new pages to the menu as you create them so no worries there

Image uses the stack inspector the same way so hence, not editable outside of the partial

Slider - ditto to above

Switch - ditto to above

@joeworkman, correct me if wrong by all means, is a learning experience…

Brad

1 Like

Thanks Brad that information is very helpful. I need to rebuild my my master site. The idea was to use a 1 Column Stack as a Container for the Layout, then create the Partial and unpin the stacks that needs to have changes at the new page - but I see, that don’t work.
I think that create a Partial for each part of the Site will solve the problem…

1 Like

@WDA, glad it helped you understand it a bit better. Yes, rethink your layout and what you want to do with Partials. The BIG thing to remember with Partials is that all content (that is not unpinned) is identical on every page the Partial is used, perhaps look at it like a mini template if you will. @joeworkman has an awesome video here on Stacks 3 (Partials) & Foundations. Actually, all his Foundation video’s are very good.

Brad