Help! Let’s Talk CMS

When there are that many pages how do you handle them in RapidWeaver? Whenever I start a new page in RW it shows on the left side. Wouldn’t that many pages being listed be a pain to handle? This is my main worry.

If I understand what you’re saying,
Poster post pages aren’t included in navigation. The page that you place the poster stack on is the only page that would be in the navigation. Each post on the page would appear in a summary on that page.

When you click on the read more link it then generates the detailed post page. This just like most blogs work.

The big difference is the flexibility with things like what’s in the summary and what’s in the details.

1 Like

For those reading along, EasyDB (Soon to be renamed Dynamic Content) offers the full suite of CMS capabilities: https://www.stack-its.com/stacks/easydb.php

Bill
Stack-Its

VERY nice Bill!

If someone was to buy EasyDB now, and then you came out with Dynamic Content later, would there be a free upgrade to Dynamic Content, or would there be a seperate charge for the Dynamic Content?

How do you have currently stored all your recipes?

As text files for example?

I haven’t started that project yet Jannis. I’m trying to get all of my ducks in a row now, and planning ahead.

All I have now is a landing page. Site to open (hopefully) in a couple of months, so this is all a learning experience :slight_smile:

So your recipes are currently only in your mind?

Or in a database? Notes? Txt files?

They’re on paper.

Dynamic Content is just a name change :slight_smile: It will be a free update.

This stack is looking better and better. I found some Wordpress plugins that do the same thing (actually some are better) than the stacks I was going to use. So my question is, what is the process of using this stack?

Do I create the Wordpress page first, and then import that webpage into Rapidweaver?

Would I be able to make a webpage that was top half Wordpress stack, and then below it the other half would be a standard Rapidweaver webpage?

Only the blog post content is imported into the stack (RW) page. WP Plugin output and styles from Wordpress are not carried over.

Here is some info on setup…

Yep. :grin:

Think about if you want to maintain a Wordpress site along with the RapidWeaver site. You’ll need to be doing regular updates etc. to WordPress for security reasons.

How will users find which recipe they want while on your site. On a site with 200-1000+ recipes, finding the recipe they want is important. You’ll probably want a way to browse for them, to filter by categories, and also to search for them.

1 Like

@AngelArs This would seem to be a perfect fit for a blogging type of structure. It offers categories and tags. So, as @DLH mentioned, provides a good way to filter and find things.

The blogging stack that may fit you best is called Poster by @instacks. Lots of flexibility in how you design a post. In fact, easy enough to have a template for a post that you keep reusing.

2 Likes

That kind of kills the usefulness of this stack for me. There are several Wordpress plugins that would be very useful, and if their content isn’t able to be used then I might as well just use a straight Wordpress site for this. For example; look at this WP plugin ( Looking for WP Ultimate Recipe? - Bootstrapped Ventures ). It has two features that we need. One is that it automatically posts a Nutrition Label, and the second is that it allows you to select how many people you’re making the recipe for. I was going to try to use the CalcStack stack for this (which I already bought) but this plugin looks like it would make that function even easier to setup.

I’m not happy about it but it seems the best approach for what I’m doing. This has more to do with the Wordpress plugins available than Wordpress itself (see example above in reply to Yabdab). One Little Designer has a stack which would do something similar that I need, but they aren’t responding to my support questions so I don’t know if their stack would truly work in my situation. If it does then I might just use Rapidweaver for everything. If it doesn’t then that’s one more reason to sadly use Wordpress for this project.

I was going to use a search engine for that. The Wordpress plugin that I was looking at last night which is made for recipes has built in search. Then all I’d need to do is to link to the Wordpress (recipe) section with a category link like www. my site .com/recipes.

Yes Doug mentioned this yesterday but when I looked at it there was something about it that didn’t fit my needs. I’ll have to look at it again. As I understand it I’ll need a blog anyway to help with SEO, so I’ll probably get this stack eventually anyway, just maybe not for this recipe project.

After reading all this it sounds like you should be using WordPress!

3 Likes

@AngelArs As someone who’s used pretty much every CMS (except Poster), available to RapidWeaver, and who currently manages a massive blog on a RW site using WordPress,PacificWaveJJ as well as another site that in fact has a recipe section FeedNFlow running on TotalCMS I can tell you that WordPress is a terrible way to go in the current RapidWeaver environment. It really depends on how you want to setup and run everything. But WordPress is just a pain to run in tandem with a RW site and it really isn’t necessary.

If the only person editing it is going to be on RapidWeaver, then just use the built in blog option.

If you like a simple blog with single categories per page, and you need an external ability to edit it (outside of RapidWeaver), Elixirgraphics Alloy is fantastic, and very well supported, and because you can use Markdown for your writing, there’s very little in the way of issues.

If you need more complex blog options, TotalCMS is a good option, but I’ve had endless issues with the HipWig editor, and had to teach my client to use Markdown to eliminate the issues. I’ve had some weird photo loading issues on bigger blog posts though.

GoCMS is super simple, and I have a client who is an author managing their person blog using it. He seems to like it.

Armadillo is close to my heart, since I’ve been using it since the beta, but it’s getting long in the tooth nowadays, though I know there is an update in the works, but it’s slow moving.

Feel free to PM me any straight questions. I’ve pretty much used every CMS option at some point or another, (Nilrog’s WP, SiteCake, The WordPress Stack, etc).

2 Likes

THANKS SanityFox! The problem is that the stacks that I need simply don’t exist from any developer on Rapidweaver. See this thread for more specific information ( Creating your own stack? - #9 by AngelArs ). The biggest issue right now is finding a way to make a Nutrition Facts label. There is a API which automatically does all the heavy lifting, but no stack to import that information into a Nutrition Facts label. WordPress has a ton of plugins which do this. All of the other issues for posting recipe information in RW I have found stacks for.

Point us to the API, maybe someone could help if we see what’s needed.

The free one is here: ( https://www.nutritionix.com/business/api ) but I believe everyone using the API would need to register their own copy. You can see how it works here: ( https://www.nutritionix.com/natural-demo?q=3%20eggs 1%2F4%20teaspoon%20salt 1%2F4%20teaspoon%20nutmeg 1%2F2%20cup%20milk ).

Just a heads up, once you’re in the WP world, there’s no easy way out of it. I desperately want to migrate away from it on our one site, but we’d lose hundreds if not thousands of incoming links for some of our articles, and there’s no easy options to migrate out.