Introducing FileMan stack - a free file manager / warehouse for your website!

The role of this new stack is to configure and spawn a new directory on your web server, complete with a basic file management interface. After entering a password, you (or a client) can login to upload, download, view or delete small files with ease. New folders can be created and you can sort files by clicking the table headings. All this is done through your normal web browser.

FileMan is perfect to use as a backend for our popular stacks like PlayLister, RefinedSlider, ProGallery, Embed and DropCMS. Any of these stacks can link to the FileMan directory; thereby permitting the ability to add or remove files (like images or audio tracks) remotely, outside of RapidWeaver. FileMan is safe for your clients to use, because only files within the FileMan directory are editable. FileMan saves you from the aggravation of setting-up additional FTP accounts.

The FileMan interface uses HTML5 and is fully mobile-first responsive. It works well on all newer mobile, tablet and desktop computers.

FileMan is easy to configure within Stacks 3 / RapidWeaver. The basic setup process involves telling FileMan where you want the new directory to be generated, the login password and what functionality you want enabled. Visit the webpage hosting the FileMan stack, and then your file manager will be automatically generated and become ready for use.

Because many of us are building websites for non-English speaking clients to manage, you will find FileMan lets you translate many of the buttons, labels and table headings into another language.

This stack requires a web server with PHP 5.6 or greater, RapidWeaver 6.0 or greater and Stacks 3.0 or greater. If you find FileMan useful or require support, please make a contribution. As always, support is best dealt with via email.

Learn more…

11 Likes

What a brilliant idea. This is one of the missing pieces in the RW jigsaw and typical of Will to create the solution and make it available for free. Great job Will.

7 Likes

Thanks Will for a fantastic free stack. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

@willwood
Great solution Will, as always your ideas are brilliant :slight_smile:
Cheers

2 Likes

This is awesome… as a photographer my site is mostly images. Can’t wait to check it out! Great idea, Will :slight_smile:

1 Like

RapidWeaver Ninja reviews the FileMan stack: http://rapidweaver.ninja/news/?post_id=272&title=file-manager-for-rapidweaver

2 Likes

@SteveB Good demo that demonstrates what Will’s stack can do.

@willwood and @webdeer two big names in the business, always a great inspiration.
Thanks guys for your always great ideas and support :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will: Thanks a million. Very simple to set up and use. Yet, very practical and effective. Exactly what several of us have needed. Donation gladly sent!

1 Like

Wondering what about multi accounts?

It doesn’t work for me. On the page where I dropped the stack, nothing happens when I visit the page. I can’t see anything from the fileman stack on the page. it’s just an empty at the place where I placed the stack.

What am I doing wrong ?

A URL would be needed so people can see if there are any errors on the page.

problem is solved………

OK, so I noticed a Total CMS error on the page, and I looked at our debug tool and this showed up

Not sure what version of PHP FileMan needs, but that could be an issue. If you are trying to use Total CMS, it is for sure an issue. You really should update anyways, as PHP 5.3.28 is VERY old and has been End of Life since August of 2014 (PHP - Wikipedia). So try to get your host to update to 5.6+.

1 Like

Thanks Robert ! Upgraded my PHP so now it works fine…

1 Like

Please read the product page again more carefully! I already explain how you can use a .htaccess file to configure multiple login accounts but take note that this procedure will secure all files within the directory – you will no longer be able to reuse those files in other stacks. Beyond this, more funding would be required before I could consider further expanding the feature set of this stack.

Make a contribution here (include a name or email address as a reference) and then prepare a full support case for me to review by email. At the very least you need to include the specifications of your web server, the links to the pages in question and provide a temporary FTP account. The more information you can supply, the easier and faster it will be for us to diagnose the problem(s) for you. My best guess is that you have conflicting HTML and PHP pages by the same name, and you are viewing the HTML version instead of the PHP one.

1 Like

I didn’t read it in the first place - was just asking here as you are talking about it here. Thanks.

@willwood : the problem is solved. As @zeebe suggested, I had to upgrade my PHP version. Since I did that, it works fine.

@willwood

Looks like there is a dangling comment in the output stream?

// Convert to web safe (default)

showing up on the top of the page.

No further plans currently. I’m happy with the stack and it has been well received by those who are using it.

Since FileMan was released, I’ve signed a contract to work in collaboration with another RW developer to assist in the creation of a more feature-rich file manager stack. Possibly for release later this year. I cannot disclose any more details at the present time.

I don’t know what that is. Please make a contribution and then open a support case with me via email if you need my time / help with something.