Issues with viewing on mobile devices

I have updated my site using RW8 and Archetypon Walter theme. I am not happy with the way that it displays on mobile devices and would welcome input to solve this problem. https://www.bhphoto.biz

Thank you

Bruce Hemming

Could you be more specific? What is it that you “not happy with”?

Hi Doug

If you visit the site it should be fairly obvious but specifically -

The main problem is that the site is not resizing to fit on mobile devices when held in upright orientation - landscape orientation is better in some instances but worse in others. On the iPhone (11Pro) the slider on the Home screen is cropped and on the Editorial page the opening multiple column view is cropped. On the iPad Pro 10.5 inc, the slider image is cropped on the rh side I’ve attached screen shots from iPhone and iPad that shows this.

iPhone views -

On Home screen slider is cropped

On Editorial page only two of the four columns display

iPad views -

Slider view cropped on RH side

In Landscape orientation the bottom of the site is cropped.

IMG_0577.PNG.jpg

AOP logo.jpg

photographers united pro logo.-final.jpg

Looking at the site, it responds correctly to different screen sizes but as you have found the slider on the main page does not resize as the screen size shrinks. It seems to be set to a fixed width. Not knowing what slider you are using, is there a setting to allow it to shrink or use smaller images at the tablet and mobile screen settings?

On the Editorial page. It says you are using the image gallery from Joe Workman and that is sizing correctly for the different screens when you view an image but not the thumbnail screen. Joe has just updated this stack to be more responsive to v2.2 Are you using this version. Can the thumbnail gallery be set to shrink with the screen or is it set to a fixed width?

Thank you for the suggestions Nick, I’ll look into them. Archetypon have kindly offered to check the whole package over the weekend so if I have any further questions I’ll come back to the forum.

AOP logo.jpg

Hi Boswell,

I checked your site on my iPhone 7. Besides that your site loads very slowly, both on desktop and mobile, I only found these issues: Toggle menu on your page ‘Home & Travel’ and ‘Blog’ is missing. On page ‘Contact’, I only find a submenu: ‘GDPR’, but no contact info/form.

All images seem to load correctly. As Nick Woodruffe mentioned, slider on ‘Editorial’ is not responsive.

Cheers,

Hans

Dear Hans

Thank you for pointing this out. I’ve never had a problem before with adding a sub page - as in the GDPR page added to the Contact form. I cannot correct that for some reason so have made the GDPR an independent page. ’Toggle menu missing’ - could you explain a bit more please? I’m not experiencing any loading speed issues on my own desktop or mobile devices.

Thanks again

Bruce

AOP logo.jpg

Hi Bruce,

the menu in a desktop version changes automatically into a ‘toggle menu’ on mobile. I cannot find a menu on the mobile version (pages ‘Home & Travel’ and ‘Blog’).

Loading speed: I admit my internet connection is not very fast. However, it took longer to load than most of the sites I visit. Are you using large images? If so, reducing them may help. Or use a ‘lazy load’ stack to speed up a bit. You can do a speed check of your site via https://tools.pingdom.com or similar services.

Cheers,

Hans

Bruce,

I just did a speedtest. Your site takes 2.08 s to load, while my site takes 456 ms to load. It would be a great idea to try to speed up your site a bit. It’s a nervous world on the net, people don’t like to wait and you risk to lose visitors.

Hans

Dear Hans

I’m not having a problem with the menu visibility on my mobile devices, tapping on the three horizontal lines in the top rh side of the screen brings it up. My images vary between 200kb and 400kb so not sure that they can be much smaller - there are a lot of them though…

It is frustrating as everything works fine on my desktop but not on mobile devices. I’ve just noticed that the Joe Workman image gallery stack does not display the next and return buttons on mobile - so another problem to address.

Thanks again

Bruce

AOP logo.jpg

Dear Bruce,

strange things happen. The toggle menu now shows up on my mobile as well. Must be the twilight zone working here :wink:
I try to keep my images under 200kb, however I got one or two that are larger. My largest images are 1200 px wide, medium is 960 px and smaller ones 600 px wide. Jpgs compressed 60%. Photoshop ‘save for web’ or small soft like Squash can do that for you. Works fine.

I don’t know how you manage your images, you have a lot to show (nice work btw).

Hope you can solve the mobile issues,

Hans

Dear Hans

Thank you for your continued help, much appreciated. I can compress the images further so will try that next.

Regards

Bruce

AOP logo.jpg

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.