JW ECMS Help Needed

Please select one of the text stacks and show another screen shot
check that box that says process macros…

… actually makes sure they’ re processed…

Earlier on, I had all kinds of duplication of the page when ‘process macros’ was checked . It looks to me as if the failure to update uploaded text might have something to do with that button…

I strongly urge you to start using subdomains for your client setup/test builds. You will find that many things will run much more smoothly.

https://fecms33.thewordsmithy.co.uk/ 

vs

https://www.thewordsmithy.co.uk/client-area/FECMS33/

Hi Joe…thanks for looking at my issue.
@swilliam has persuaded me that I need to set up a sandbox along the lines you have kindly suggested…my issue will be how ot go about that (but that’s a different problem right now).

Its different depending on your hosting company. It can be done through your cpanel or admin area. Most hosting accounts support unlimited subdomains.

Scott…I reuploaded the project with the "process macros’ box checked this time. No duplicate pages and a fully-functional demo site…

…You have diagnosed the problem correctly, and it is now fixed as a result. Thank you doesn’t seem enough, given how much I was tearing my hair out.

Thank you!

And I will still be looking at sandboxing @joeworkman is on my case, too…

Glad its good now. But, yes do the sandbox thing.

Hi Joe
Thanks to @swilliam and earlier to @jabostick, my problem seems fixed. I am so, so happy!
I will still be talking to my hosting company about setting up sandbox.thewordsmithy.co.uk.

PS did I tell you how happy I was that i can now make ECMS work? Did I?

1 Like

‘Theoretically’ you can have as many subdomains as you wish and they can be created in seconds.
I say theoretically as your host may charge for them, I’ve never heard of it but some hosts are shit bags and I wouldn’t put it past a few I’ve heard of.
In cPanel (comes with 90% of sites) you can create a subdomain with 3 (maybe even 2) clicks.
The advantage is that the subdomain is a completely separate site to your main site(domain).

Hi Paul
Thank you for taking a look at this. It’s clear to me that I need some subdomain variation of sandbox.thewordsmithy.co.uk; my host seems a pretty good outfit, so I will be asking them about cpanel tomorrow as a means of achieving it. In the meantime, at least I now have a way of presenting something to my client - even if it’s more complicated than it need be!
Best wishes
Michael

Don’t get fixated on the word sandbox, those of us that have a subdomain called sandbox use it for example to test little ideas etc, ie a sandbox/sandpit to play in.
Here’s my sandbox https://www.sandbox.russam.me/, i have a corresponding RW project, I’ve trashed it completely many times as it’s contents are unimportant in themselves and are either little ideas or prof of concepts.
I actually have 7 subdomains in the russam.me domain and nothing but a crappy landing page at the root.

If you’re doing sites for clients then that’s what I’d name the subdomain, once the real site goes live you can delete the subdomain and all its contents.

Hi Paul

I reckon it’s function over form here…the objective is to make it easy to move a demonstration/client approval site over to the client’s space without breaking links, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.