JW Total CMS "Warning Unexpected Character" - Need some help

Hello all. New member here :slight_smile:
Mac/RW6/Lastest Version JW Total CMS/Godaddy host
I have a sneaking suspicion that this problem will result in a “duh” moment for me once someone chimes in…but I’m flummoxed. I’m attempting to implement a simple test site using JW’s Total CMS. Not my first RW site but my first using Total CMS. I have the admin page working and it allows me to enter and save text in my text CMS block (i.e. it gives me the green all is good/saved). However, when I go to my content page I can only produce the error below? I suspect it might be a host issue, or a FTP rights/access issue? Site publishes fine from RW though? I’m missing something but can’t figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Error:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ‘’ (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/t/o/p/topkickma/html/_testingcms/displayF/display.php on line 175

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ‘’ (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/t/o/p/topkickma/html/_testingcms/displayF/display.php on line 175

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/t/o/p/topkickma/html/_testingcms/displayF/display.php on line 175

OK, a little confused. The “Content” page is where the admin stacks are, so I take it the Display page is where the content should show up??
Also, our dbug program shows this

so you will want to update your PHP version to 5.6 or higher.

Good point of clarity zeebe. That is correct the Content page contains the Admin elements while the Display page contains (or should contain) the displayed content. Thanks for the debug info.

1. First I’ll start with the PHP with my host company…should be fun considering the company we use :slight_smile:
  2. I can’t figure out where that Document Root path is coming from - legacy info at my host perhaps?
  3. Oddly I own Total CMS and have registered it (bottom bit seems to indicate otherwise). I would suggest that these errors resulted from a mis-registration of domain with Total CMS, however, I had the same issue when using the demo version as well.

Let’s see if a server side PHP update will do it. Any other observations from others are still welcome.

Thanks zeebe. A PHP upgrade did the trick as you suggested. I appreciate the help.

1 Like