Looking for a flexible table stack

True, but I used one only yesterday that still works the old-fashioned way. I’ll need to go through and root 'em out!

Rob

That’s a cracking table Rob. Would love something like that.
It would have solved an issue I raised a couple of months ago.
Hope someone can come up with something.

I’d like to follow up on this briefly @isaiah.

How do I, as and end user, identify those stacks that use this soon-to-be-deprecated feature (or indeed any other one 8-)).

I think I know - I look for a stack like Doobox’ original Montage stack, for example - that allows you to increase or decrease the number of photos in the masonry grid by clicking a number spinner in the stacks settings panel on the right. Is that correct?

And is there any other way of identifying a stack that uses this feature?

Like some others here, I’ve built a number of sites for other people and a quick snoop through 6 of them has already identified four stacks that work this way and will - presumably - need replacing.

Many thanks,

Rob

1 Like

Pretty much. If you have a stack that increase’s the number of any given element in your edit mode view, when you alter a slider or number control in the stacks settings panel, it’s a good bet that the stack is using the older %repeat% method.

@robbeattie - i wouldn’t really expect that it will ever effect users. i would assume that any stacks that use these features will be updated long before it is ever removed. if they aren’t already updated, you should definitely contact the developer give him a (gentle and polite) reminder. :slight_smile:

but when the feature is eventually completely removed, we’ll try to make it graceful just, in case there are a few stragglers out there that didn’t update.

until that day comes, don’t fret – deprecations happen all the time. it’s a normal part of a growing API.

isaiah

2 Likes

Just came across this thread about the deprecation of %repeat% and the way to tell if any of the stacks that allow you to add additional items by a spinner or + sign in the inspector. I was wondering if this applies to most column stacks since from what I have seen give you the ability to specify the number of columns with sliders or spinners.

@Brett - not always. with columns some devs don’t use repeats.

there isn’t really a way to tell from the user-perspective as this isn’t really an issue that users need to worry about.

but if you’re dying to know, then i’d say the one sure way would be to ask the developers directly if they’re using any deprecated API.

isaiah

Pretty much. If you have a stack that increase’s the number of any given element in your edit mode view, when you alter a slider or number control in the stacks settings panel, it’s a good bet that the stack is using the older %repeat% method.

Not necessarily. My Columns stacks do not use %repeat% but they do use a number slider in increase or decrease the number of columns in the layout. This method is not a good way to tell, IMHO. Like @isaiah has stated, it is not something users need to be worried about, honestly.

1 Like