Lost 2 years of posts in my blog

Hello!
Posting my blog using RW 8+ was taking a long time to publish as all the new and old files were uploaded every time so I thought this was because RW8 was to old so I decided to switch to RW9 but as I tried to open my file RW9 asked me if I wanted to convert my file to RW9 with no harm to my original file so I accepted which it did. Now I find that my blog is 2 years behind meaning I just lost 2 years of data, no mater if I try to reopen my site in RW8. the file appears to be damaged or something.
Now my Blog is up to date due to the last upload with RW8 but I can’t update anymore as this will erase most part of my blog.
Talking about panic?
Any ideas of how to solve this problem?
Thank you guys.

Hi @ferbis,

RapidWeaver Classic doesn’t delete your old RW8 project file during the conversion, it just duplicates it in RW Classic format. You should still have your original RW8 project file on your Mac in the exact same location as you had it before.

Have a look and let us know if you find it. If you do, you can try opening it in RapidWeaver Classic again to see if the conversion succeeds the second time around.

Let us know how it goes.

Wow Dan:
Thank you for your very fast response.
I don´t know why but I can’t find the actual archive either than the one I allways use, every time I end my sessions I hit the "command s” in order to save my work and again as I open RW the ap opens the archive no problem. I wonder if I have to make new archives as a "Save as” to make a new one. This is something that have bug me as this problem has happened to me a couple of times in the past when upgradeing the ap. I just thought this issue was corrected. (RW user since it started long ago)
I back up my project through RW in fact I did it a couple of months ago and I wonder how to retrieve it.
Anyway thanks again you for your interest.
Much obliged yours,

Fernando

I don´t know why but I can’t find the actual archive either than the one I allways use

RapidWeaver 8 project files end in a .rw8 extension. Perhaps you can use that to do a Spotlight search on your Mac for files ending with .rw8 in order to locate your old project file.

Alternatively, if you open RapidWeaver 8 from your Applications folder, you might still be able to open your old project file from the “Recents” list.

I back up my project through RW in fact I did it a couple of months ago and I wonder how to retrieve it.

If you are talking about automatic backups as listed in our documentation here, you can retrieve that backup by clicking the “Download Backup” button in your publishing settings. As you can see in the screenshot from the help document, the “Download Backup” button is greyed out. However if you have your automatic backups enabled, then your “Download Backup” button would not be greyed out and you can download your backup directly into RapidWeaver.

Hope one of the above options helps you retrieve a backup of your RW8 project file. Let us know how you get on.

Hello Dang
Thanks for your concern again. I just downloaded the backup you just told me how to and it worked! Is not the latest version of my blog but I can solve this by rewriting the last posts which considering the whole picture is negligible.
I promise to be careful and backup every time I publish mostly if I upgrade RW version.
By the way I couldn’t find the original file using the find feature, somehow it vanished or erased.
Well, again I’m much obliged.
Take care yours,

Fernando

1 Like

Hello again Dan:
I´ve been trying to upload my blog after deleting all my files in the server but it has been imposible. They start to upload and a few minutes later stops and I have to force quit the ap several times as it always freezes.Then I tried with “Transmit” with similar results although some files and folders had been uploaded.
The blog works fine inside RW and also trough the Safari preview.
Do you have any ideas?
Yours,

Fernando

Perhaps this is a good moment to consider moving your blog over to Google Blogger and use my Blogspot.stack to show it on your website. That saves a lot of space in your RW-file, you don’t have to go into RW to create a post - you do that on Blogger, and the blog will always be available somehow.

Thank you Marc, this is very interesting but too advanced for my standard. I chose RW for the ease of use in the first place more than 10 years ago and now it has become rather difficult to manage. I just need step by step tutorials as I´m getting older!

1 Like

Can you send over your project file so we can take a look? Below is a guide on how you can send over your project file to us.

Hi Fernando, aren’t we all… :wink: It’s not that hard. First you need a Google account, a Gmail email address. When you have that, go to https://www.blogger.com/ and login. Follow instructions on how to create a domain, for example ‘ferbis.blogspot.com’. Choose a theme and then you can start blogging. Copy the text of your first blogpost here, add keywords, modify the date and time, (dis)allow comments and click ‘Publish’. The only thing to think about here, are images and/or movie files. If copy/paste of those doesn’t work, you need to place the URL to the image in the blog-post.

Hello Marc
Thank you for your recommendation, I’ll give it a try and see what happens!