M1/Silicon version of PlusKit already available...?

Indeed I’m anticipating M1 adaptations of PlusKit just as the Ecwid module.
I think that it is somewhat odd that these evaluated most famous yet no further turn of events.

Eventually, Apple will stop supporting Rosetta. This is why it’s important to have an Apple Silicon port.

1 Like

Re: “Lockdown”.

What a name?!

So apropos :sweat_smile: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Possible. If you’re afraid of this, you should either keep a macOS version available (e.g. in a virtual machine) supporting this, or rewrite your project to stop using these old plugins.

Still waiting for an ARM version of these is IMO not worth the time.

1 Like

I am not “afraid of this”. :sweat_smile:

Just making an academic comment based on Apple’s own past behavior in ditching Rosetta. Remember the PPC?

Anyway, I stopped using these plugins many years ago.

2 Likes

I have to second this. As a long time Mac user I remember the problems that arose when Apple dropped Rosetta in Mac OS X 10.7 “Lion”.

Luckily, as mentioned above, it’s nowadays easier to install macOS as a virtual machine than ever, so you could go that route is nothing better is available.

1 Like

I am wondering what part of PlusKit is so essential to you?

At this date, the majority of users (my guess is >98%) do own Intel Macs (just remember: 68k to PPC transition, aka “Fat Binaries” was there until the very last days of Motorola support).

And the switch from PPC to Intel had a different motivation: the PPC’s coudn’t be designed to keep the pace (Intel-) PCs gained. Current Intel Macs are still capable machines, a different story to the G4 or even G5 machines of the past.

I don’t believe that Apple will ditch Intel support anytime soon, as the customer base did increase heavily since Intel Macs have been introduces. At least not earlier than they did with Rosetta 1 (5 years, if I remember correctly)

2 Likes

Essentially the same Apple playbook. Cook has adopted the Jobs script …

Here’s an interesting thread for those following this drama unfold. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.