PlusKit not compatible with Apple silicon

I just replaced Intel based Mac with a new with an Apple M3 chip. My PlusKitt running on rec will not run on my Apple silicon. YourHead said they did not have time to fix it. Any ideas on how to make it work.

Hi, use the Rosetta mode : right-click on the app and choose Rosetta.

1 Like

There’s an FAQ article here if you need something to follow along with to patch it.

1 Like

Going the Rosetta route won’t work if @puzzbill is on the latest macOS though, as Pluskit’s problem isn’t just that it’s still an Intel based plugin (which Rosetta would help fix), but it will simply crash under the latest macOS release even when you run it on Rosetta.

Since you can’t downgrade the macOS version on an M3 to something below Sonoma, I’m afraid you can’t use Pluskit. The same is true for Blocks and LockDown. All three plugins have been discontinued by Yourhead the past year.

I still have an old Intel based mac mini at hand for emergencies, as I have a few customers who have Blocks pages in their project. you can pick up a second hand Intel based MacBook Air or even Pro for next to nothing these days, so it’s a viable option if you still need to support Pluskit based websites.

My advice is to phase the Pluskit pages out though, and replace them with a Stacks page.

Cheers,
Erwin

Whoops… spoke too soon. Apparently Pluskit is the only one of the older plugins that does work under Sonoma. So Rosetta is the solution for now!

My advice to phase Pluskit out from your site still stands though!

Cheers,
Erwin

I am doing that right now. I got a new M2 and RW Elements won’t have it either, so there then: now is the time. Luckily I only use the import-function of PlusKit - that is easy replaced. Still quite a job, since I have about 500 pages in RW9, but I don’t feel like copy/pasting text that needs to appear on every page, in every sidebar. How horrible if some text changes or new text must be added… So my approach is to rename the extension of every page from .html to .php, manually create a folder includes on my FTP-server in the site’s folder, and create files there with the PlusKit-pages contents. Then, in each sidebar, I need to replace @import((inc-sidebar)) with <?php include('../includes/sidebar.inc');?>. Done. Simply a lot of work, but I have to do it only once.

1 Like

I used pluskit for years and really enjoyed it. It’s a shame someone with more skill than I possess hasn’t replaced it