🛍 New RapidWeaver eCommerce Course — Free training from Realmac 🛍

ecommthumb

Hello Weavers!

As you might be aware, Ecwid recently released a new plugin for RapidWeaver: Ecwid Online Store.

We’re so excited that you can now integrate an Ecwid store into RapidWeaver, we went ahead and record a quick training course: RapidWeaver Online Store Course — it’s available for free on our YouTube channel.

In the videos, we signup for a free account, add some sample products and integrate a store both as a dedicated page and within a Stacks page.

I hope you enjoy the videos and if you’re looking to start selling online, Ecwid seems like a great option for RapidWeaver.

Cheers,
Ben

12 Likes

Thanks. That’s a really useful overview of Ecwid/RW.

Thanks, I have set up my site and I’m struggling to get google to index the pages because the URLs aren’t seo friendly.
eg https://www.weigh-till.co.uk/weighing-scales/#!/Avery-Berkel-XTs-Touchscreen-Printing-Scales/p/94789366/category=25585177

Any chance of some instruction on this Ben?

There’s some info here: https://www.ecwid.com/blog/new-clean-seo-urls-in-ecwid.html

3 Likes

Thanks Jason but already looked at that, it’s a bit confusing and is not particular to RW.
I have a lot of categories which all have their own RW page (index.html) in their own folder (category name).
I can add the script to each file but it’s the rewrite I’m a little lost with as one product can be in many categories (if that makes sense!)

I’ll try and do a video on that next week :slight_smile:

Also, maybe the ecwid developers @makfruit can take it as a feature request to add the same to their RW plugin? I don’t know if that’s possible or not.

Edit: looks like Ben has you covered as well :slight_smile:

Brilliant Ben thanks!

Hi David,

Ecwid can be set up so that the product URLs are clean and SEO-friendly. The link Jason posted is exactly what I am talking about. But this requires to adjust the .htaccess file on the server the site is running on.

Question to the other developers in this thread: is there a common way to manage .htaccess for RW sites? Or is it always dependant on the hosting the site is running on?

Thanks,

RW does not do anything with .htaccess files, the user either has to edit it themselves or if their host has a CPanel that does it.

1 Like

Had a go at setting the clean URLs up. Placed the widget code in the appropriate file created the .htaccess as per the examples and everything works fine - if I select a product I get a clean URL but if I refresh I get a 404 error. Also if I copy the URL to a new page I still get a 404 error.
Have tried altering the .htaccess from relative URLs to full address URLs but I cannot get it to work after a refresh. Any pointers would be great.

The 404 error means the .htaccess file contents should be adjusted.
Can you share a link to your site and contents of your .htaccess file ? Thanks

Hi Matt,

Ok I was testing it on:
https://www.weigh-till.co.uk/weighing-scales/compact-scales/
I have put the html code in the index.html file here.
The .htaccess is in the same folder as the index.html
public_html
weighing-scales
compact-scales

.htaccess
IfModule mod_rewrite.c
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^compact-scales/.*$ index.html
/IfModule

Hi David,

Since you’re placing the .htaccess file in the final directory, this .htaccess code should work for you:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^.*$ index.html

Basically, in the RewriteRule, it says “Everything within this path should go to index.html”.

Please try it and let me know if it works.

Hi Matt
It does work but I lose CSS see https://www.weigh-till.co.uk/weighing-scales/compact-scales/

Managed to get it to work if I put .htaccess with RewriteEngine Off - in the ‘files’ subfolder.
Ok but my problem is I have a lot of categories all with their own folder and subfolder named ‘files’ (RW convention), I don’t really want to be creating lots of .htaccess files. Is there a way I can do it for each directory in the root .htaccess?

UPDATE

Had another ‘play’ around! If I place the following code in the route .htaccess

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(files)
RewriteRule ^weighing-scales/balances/.*$ weighing-scales/balances/index.html
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(files)
RewriteRule ^weighing-scales/compact-scales/.*$ weighing-scales/compact-scales/index.html

Everything works Ok for those pages apart from accounts and shipping.
Say the URL is: https://www.weigh-till.co.uk/weighing-scales/compact-scales/account/settings
and I refresh, I lose the CSS.

As far as I can see, all css files are included using relative paths like “…/…/directory/file.css” . That makes the things tricky. Is it possible to make RapidWeaver use absolute paths instead?

Hi Ben I started ecwid and want to it for German customers. That is a great support there by ecwig. After watching your 3 videos I saw that it should with stacks to. That is phantastic. But when I compare my setup from ecwid with yours it is different. And do I do not figure out how to use stacks now. I guess there have to be a trick.
Please have a look at artissimo.me/testseiten
There at the menu the point e-commerce modern you will find ecwid working in German but some text I can not change to german. Do you have sn idee how to change it?

Cheers Gunter.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.