One step forward, two back... Not exporting Alt tags, again

If I am understanding everything correctly, Isaiah, there’s some terminology mixup. Stacks is implementing Alt Tags appropriately. However l think Willian would like title tags as part of his images so when you hover them, a description appears. (This appears to have been something that happened previous to one of his updates - perhaps it was a browser update that caused the change??).

Using a variation of swilliams suggestion, I was able to get title tags included via the Alt Tag setting (see above) though it’s a confusing method.

While it would make sense for all image stacks to support the title attribute, what we’re really saying, I think, is that IE’s non-standard behaviour creates a mistaken expectation that the alt attribute should create a tooltip. Or have I misunderstood?

Having said that, I looked at one image on the page and its name is “stacks-image-2e9463e.png” and its alt attribute is “Stacks Image 2010” which isn’t going to help anyone, even if it does appear as a tooltip.

1 Like

Here is a small JS snippet that will copy the alt tag from all images and create title attributes for it. Not that I really recommend doing this but if that is what you want…

stacks.jQuery("img").each(function(){stacks.jQuery(this).attr("title",stacks.jQuery(this).attr("alt"))})
3 Likes

Thanks @peterdanckwerts, for catching the one image that had been replaced (somehow, stacks now loses all the info while dragging a replacement image). What about the other 10 images that have proper name and alt tags, did you omit to mention these for a particular reason?

I agree with you, this generic name isn’t going to help anyone, this was a mistake. Given this is 0.5% of the image content that exhibited this issue, it’s safe to say it’s not quite the issue at hand. Pointing out a minute mistake as the rule to discard the entire discussion is simply not constructive :slight_smile: I do however thank you for catching it.

All of the other images have a properly defined names and alt tags, but yet do not display tooltips… And I know for fact it used to work without me doing anything special…

This tooltips thing isn’t specific to IE or the fact that IE is a “bad browser”. I know it’s trendy to bash on MS in some circles, but that’s not my purpose…

It’s not a false expectation, or to rephrase what I perceive as misplaced sarcasm “a low-end user wish”. As a matter of fact, there are lengthy articles on these tooltips, and it’s been reported for years as bugs, so it seems many people want to see that happen, as much as the developer think they know better what people want :slight_smile:

Thanks @joeworkman. Now the real question is why is this not working out of the box anymore?

Ahhh… now I see. You’re trying to add title-attributes in addition to alt tags. That makes a lot more sense. Now I get it.

Question: When it was working for you, how did you add these attributes to your images?

As far as I’m aware Stacks has never any user interface that would allow that sort of thing. There are ways (like the two above) – but I’m just curious what way you were using.

Isaiah

I had to use this exactly in the Alt Tag settings:

Example of alt text' title='Example

with the single (not double) quote marks, and only the end of the alt tag and beginning of the title tag. I’m not at my Mac but there’s a screenshot buried a few responses up.

If it matters, I only checked this using Preview in Browser in RW, so I can’t confirm if it changes slightly when you publish.

@isaiah, I never did anything but filling out the standard alt tag form with the text I wanted and somehow, it was showing up. It just worked :slight_smile:

Well, @wvillers, many people have used the alt attribute for tooltips on the basis of how it works in IE but that is not the way that it is supposed to work according to the W3C and I can’t remember coming across any other browser in which it behaves that way. It doesn’t even work that way in MS Edge.

1 Like

They are different attributes that are intended for different uses. Alt text is what should be displayed if the image fails to load or a screen reader is being used.

Fine… So the fact that it worked before, without any effort is irrelevant? The question was not “how do I bring it back?”, the question was “why is it not publishing anymore?”, making the entire website inconsistent… I’m not asking if it should or if I could do this, I don’t need a lecture on W3C or IE’s perceived deficiencies by the self-proclaimed elite, I’m simply asking how and why this went away. In the end, the alt tags are exported so we’re good to go. The reason why they went away in RW/Stacks is a mystery. Not being able to consistently obtain the same results is what worries me…

Yep, no argument here. The question was IE used to display these (as in RW v 7.1), now it doesn’t without any particular intervention on my part… Whether it should do it or not is not really an issue, it’s the fact that it doesn’t do it anymore… Moreover, as we copied and pasted some elements from an existing page, erroneous tooltips showed up despite the alt tag being there, which causes confusion to say the least… We can’t simply brush IE aside, there are plenty of IE users.

And what do you know, just like that: alt tag displayed as tooltip in Opera :slight_smile: No change to anything, the page was published today… Difference is it is a blog page, not Stacks…

Isn’t that the link title and not the alt tag of the image?

Yep, this is the link, you’re right @thang The plot thickens, it’s a tooltip showing a link, W3C would not be pleased :slight_smile:

It is working correctly as the image is between the opening and closing anchor tags:

1 Like

Yes, it is, you’re right! I wonder why this one has a “title” defined automatically, although nowhere on the form can this be changed… Oh well, as long as the alt tags are present, this is all good :slight_smile:

The alt text is different than the title:
Title is MSC Apex ( in tooltip)
alt text : MSC Apex Elite.

1 Like

Sure thing, but where is the title in the pic form?