Ordered List: Sort by order Number

The website for my kitchen cabinet company is heavily reliant on the decimal system for navigation. It is a lot more elegant, for example, to find Kitchen 23 than to search for “Wallingford Bungalow”.

The photography is designed to explain options and steer outcomes.
The decimal system makes it really easy for me and my client to get on the same page when we are discussing Kitchen 23 - Picture 5.

I would like to be able to do this with ordered lists that serve as links.

MY QUESTION has to do with how to “order” the ordered lists.

Is there a way have the various list items sort position automatically?

If I have Item 2 & Item 3 already in a list can I add an item 2a and have it appear between items 2 & 3?

This may not be exactly what you want but markdown is great with lists. So, e.g., using this code:

see the list below

1. Kitchen
	1. [another thing](https://amazon.com)
	2. this thing
	33. that thing
	4. something else
	5. picture 5
2. second
3. third

renders this on the page:

see the list below

1. Kitchen
    1. another thing
    2. this thing
    3. that thing
    4. something else
    5. picture 5
  2. second
  3. third

Notice I added a link to one of them: again very easy in markdown. And if you look at my code for item 1.3 I actually typed “33” (a mistake) but markdown auto-corrects and puts those numbers in the correct oder.

1 Like

While I made this for Foundation 6 users, its pertinent to anyone with Markdown… I talk about this very topic.

2 Likes

Thanks Matthew!
I need to learn more about MarkDown.
I am guessing that MarkDown itself is a stack I bring in?

Thanks Joe! That was a really easy to follow tutorial.

Yes, there is a standard markdown stack that comes with Stacks. There’s a super-version of markdown stack named Scribe by BWD (big white duck) but I doubt you need that version for your project.

I always think that databases are the best way to create ordered lists, but they’re not particularly easy to integrate with RW.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.