PageSafe v1.4 - Hold onto Your Pants

I just shipped a pretty awesome FREE update to PageSafe. You can now have multiple passcodes. As if that was not cool enough, you can also manage passcodes with Total CMS!!!

I will wait for you to catch your breathe, I know this is a lot to take in…

Multiple passcodes solves the issue where you have multiple people logging into a website and you may want to turn off their access in the future. You can now create as many passcode as you want in Page Safe (enter in one passcode per line in the settings). If you ever need to revoke a passcode, simply delete it from the list, publish and they are locked out.

Managing passcodes in Total CMS makes this a powerful way for customers to manage their own passcodes. On important note is that the passcodes configured inside the stack are considered “master” passcodes and cannot be changed or removed. This is so that you always know a passcode when your customer has forgotten theirs.

You can setup management of the passcodes very easily. Simply use a Text Admin stack and set the CMS ID to be the same as the PageSafe ID. Save one or more passcodes and you are done!

When managing passcodes with Total CMS, I need to be upfront and let you know that the CMS will store data in plain text on your server. While chances are slim anyone will discover it, it is a risk. This can be overcome simply by using a small rule inside your .htaccess file.

<Files pagesafe.cms>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>

This rule assumes that you are using the default PageSafe/CMS ID of pagesafe

PageSafe Homepage: https://preview.joeworkman.net/page-safe

Enjoy the awesome FREE update!

7 Likes

thanks for the .htaccess tip!

2 Likes

Love the multiple passcode capability - its utterly brilliant when I need to show off prototype sites to different people. Now I can give and revoke access to my prototype sites to different parties easily.

1 Like

I am unable to get the updated Page Safe to work for me. Has anyone else have a similar issue.

Here is a link to a page with Page Safe and some text. It just keeps refreshing with nothing showing up.
http://milfordtrack.org/page/

If you go to http://milfordtrack.org/page/index.php you’ll see the PageSafe login screen. You’ve probably got an old index.html file in the root which you need to remove with an FTP program.

Rob

3 Likes

@robbeattie pointed out the solution. What probably happened is you designed what was on the page previously (i.e. the content) and all would display fine with an “html” file. But Page Safe needs to use PHP for the “magic” to work. Just remove the old index.html file in that folder (via FTP app) and you’ll be fine to go. Unfortunately there is no way to remove this extra file using RapidWeaver.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. That was the ticket that made it work. I should have known that, as I have seen other posts making that suggestion.

New users of RW 8.7, Stacks 4.2.2, and Pagesafe 1.5.5. I’m attempting to enable a passcode on my home page with the goal of locking down all sub pages with the same code.

I’ve tracked the setup instructions and searched through RW Community and Weaver’s community with no luck.

When I add the safe page to my stacks page, the first stack, before Foundry 2.3.3.0 I configure per inst. but I get a username and login modal on my site when I visit with latest Safari and Chrome. I renamed old index.html, not wanting to delete them until I validate this change.

I’ve cleared cache and I’ve since reset my page, removing the pagesafe stack, still getting this:

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 2.49.32 PM

I’m missing something. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I’m using godaddy, cPanel says I have PHP 7.0.33 installed.

Thank you in advance for considering my challenge.

Jay

That screenshot doesn’t look like PageSafe, but more like an htaccess-password or some other thing.

To my knowledge, Pagesafe doesn’t have any username, only a passcode or password.

1 Like

I agree with @teefers, that’s not Pagesafe, that’s something else. Have a look at “Directory Privacy” in cpanel, where you can password protect folders.

I figured it out. the htaccess file was modified, I cleared the changes and it resolved the issue.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I’m working through my first landing page with PHP scripting for mailing list as I bootstrap a tech startup as a somewhat (SQL dev) programmer background.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.