Problems with images

Does anyone understand this error message?:

"Couldn’t save a sandwich of type “com.yourhead.stacks”, because duplicating a file from /Users/tomtraut/Desktop/Home/Home.rw8/Pages/6-video/Data/5A996030-D700-447E-B63C-A8FF7D53931E.JPG to /var/folders/pg/dx4h8b116b18jqn9v4kwksvc0000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By RapidWeaver 8)/Home.rw8/Pages/6-video/Data/5A996030-D700-447E-B63C-A8FF7D53931E.JPG failed with an underlying error of Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 ““5A996030-D700-447E-B63C-A8FF7D53931E.JPG” couldn’t be copied because you don’t have permission to access “Data”.” UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Users/tomtraut/Desktop/Home/Home.rw8/Pages/6-video/Data/5A996030-D700-447E-B63C-A8FF7D53931E.JPG, NSUserStringVariant=(
Copy
), NSDestinationFilePath=/var/folders/pg/dx4h8b116b18jqn9v4kwksvc0000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By RapidWeaver 8)/Home.rw8/Pages/6-video/Data/5A996030-D700-447E-B63C-A8FF7D53931E.JPG, NSFilePath=/Users/tomtraut/Desktop/Home/Home.rw8/Pages/6-video/Data/5A996030-D700-447E-B63C-A8FF7D53931E.JPG, NSUnderlyingError=0x600002752ca0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 “Operation not permitted”}} ??

This error message is saying that you don’t have permission to something that you really should. Stacks has purposefully crashed rather than writing out data that would corrupt your file.

This is likely a symptom of a larger problem:

• perhaps your hard drive has corrupted permissions. this can sometimes happen after moving data from one machine to another, or restoring from a backup. in this case you should try to “fix permissions” – there are some good how-to’s around the internet. This one is for macOS Catalina – but it should work with Mojave too.
    https://pdf.wondershare.com/macos-10-15/repair-disk-permissions-on-macos-10-15.html

• perhaps your hard drive is having more significant problems. running the diagnostics with Disk Utility (which is the same as in the above how-to) might be able to spot the problem.

• perhaps your hard drive is simply out of space. double check to make sure you have plenty of space. if you have < 25GB or so, then this might be the source of the problem (although, i’d expect the problem to show other symptoms of running out of space first).

• perhaps this file is already corrupted. if none of the above helps and you have a recent backup, try reverting to that backup and see if it helps.

• if you store this file on DropBox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive or other similar things – then this could also be a source of file corruption. I recommend against storing large complex files on those services as files of this nature are difficult to synchronize correctly. I have many many many reports of corrupted files on these services.

If none of that helps, then it’s time to gather more info about the problem:

• have you changed anything significant with your mac recently, such as:
    • upgrade to Catalina
    • move your files one mac to another
    • restore from a backup
  • have you experienced any other abnormal behavior
    • other crashes
    • other files that won’t open
    • other corrupt files
    • whole machine behaving slow – or pausing for long periods

If the problem keeps occurring let me know if any of these or any other exceptional things are going on and we’ll work from there to try to find a solution.

2 Likes

Thanks for that thoughtful analysis. You made me realize that I had moved the folder, with the original images, to a new location. I had thought that once these images were loaded into Resources, the original files were irrelevant. Am I correct in suspecting that the image files in Resources are then simply links to the actual folder where they remain?

RW should copy the originals into your project file if you have “Copy into the document” checked in your project’s Advanced Settings. Verify that setting in your project file.

2 Likes

Is it possible to zip a RW project file and keep that on dropbox or google drive?

I understand wanting to keep it backed up to the cloud.

Is there any issues with iCloud? Does iCloud corrupt the project files? I have been very pleased with it for my various art files. I don’t know about using it for RW files.

No problem if you zip it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.