RapidWeaver 7.5 (18755b) beta 2 with a new Warehouse feature!

Here’s the latest build of RapidWevare 7.5, this build adds a new resources feature, perfect for those of you into “Warehousing”.

You can see a video of the new remote resources feature in action here: https://cl.ly/440F3p0Y2724

Do let us know what you think!

What’s New?

• Added support for remote (warehoused) resources
  • Added Automatic FTP Configuration
  • Media Browser works again
  • Added a preference to verify uploaded files (try this if you;re having publishing issues)
  • Other bug fixes

As this build is a beta (albeit a stable one), you are advised to back-up your projects before use and not to use this build against mission criticle work.

Download RapidWeaver 7.5 (build 18755b) Beta 2

Happy Weaving and do let us know if you hit any issues!

6 Likes

@dan Very cool. So will this make RW files larger in any way? As a photographer, my site is 95% images.
thanks!

Nope, if you switch out local resources for remote resources your file will be tiny compared to what it was before.

For exmple, if your URL is relatively short (less than 800 characters perhaps), then it’ll add on less than 1KB per remote resource.

Hope that hepls.

1 Like

thanks. I don’t use RW resources now. When I used resources (over a year ago) my file was 600mb+ and now 120 ish. I warehouse, but through whatever stack I am using.
I highly recommend warehousing :slight_smile:

Nice. But where is the benefit of using that URL you have copied directly on that page?

If I use a remote image, along with the Macro I can easly update the image acorss the entire site by just changing one url :slight_smile:

I could even update the image within a site by just updating the image on the server.

I’m not saying “remote resources” are the right way to do things, I was just showing of a feature we implimmented becuase a lot of users have been asking for it :slight_smile:

Hope that clears things up!

3 Likes

I watched the video a couple of times and came away thinking why is this being made so complex and why are we still living in a non graphical world.

Here’s how I think RM should implement a degree of warehouse image support:
Add a new macro and call it %warehouse . Then when a user adds %warehouse(image1.jpg) to a stacks link URL, the URL referenced would be the URL in the RW Settings with /warehouse/image1.jpg added onto it. This would be http://www.mysite.com/warehouse.image1.jpg if http://www.mysite.com was used in the RW settings.

Then, if the settings is changed to https://www.mysite.com, the link (and all warehoused URLs) would change to https://www.mysite.com/warehouse.image1.jpg

Then leave it to the user to FTP their images outside of RW.

Such a feature would be very beneficial.

2 Likes

With your method of “just dropping in a URL” you’d have to update every single reference to that URL in a project if you moved servers, where’s if you used the macro feature you can just update it in one place.

Please remeber we added this feature becuase a lot of users requested it. We’ll never please everyone all of the time, we’re just doing the best we can.

There are some bigger changes planned for RapidWeaver 8 but I can’t talk about those yet :wink:

1 Like

Slight anomaly I’ve noticed (bug?) - adding a Stack to the bottom of a page makes the page go back to the top of the page, you then have to scroll down to work with Stack, never noticed it before.

Don’t think this is an RW problem.
Might want to check this from Stacks:

4 Likes

Something to note: you can specify a path for the remote resource, not just a complete URL. So if you enter /warehouse/myimage.jpg, that’ll reference the same location no matter which server you publish to.

2 Likes

Will remote resources show instantly in Edit and Preview assuming they exist in the specified server location? Or will a Publish be required to determine the %resource URL?

Whatever you enter in the URL field is what we’ll use in Edit and Preview. If that resolves to a valid resource: great! Remote resources have no concept of files or of being published (since, by their nature, they’ve already been published). They’re just an easy way to include links in your site.

1 Like

Thanks. That would be an improvement.

It is still a very long way from making RapidWeaver “one of the easiest to use website builders on the Mac” and “the best web design software for Mac”.

This is the sort of media browser that RW needs to allow to easily navigate and select images whether they be local or warehoused:

2 Likes

@webdeer, Yup, good suggestion, this is on the RW roadmap.

3 Likes

I like this approach @dan. It makes sense for people who wish to use Remote Resources. Going to have a look at this over the next week or so as I’m working on other things.

Still can’t publish through the built-in ftp :frowning: 7.4 has no problem…

@webdeer @dan
I strongly disagree with your view that Rapidweaver - Quote -"It is still a very long way from making RapidWeaver “one of the easiest to use website builders on the Mac” - unquote. I have been using RW since Version 3 and even then. it was better than the very limited Mac “Web Builder”.

I appreciate @webdeer (Gary) that you like to make and sell very complicated Templates, which. in my opinion are not suitable for beginners. BUT - using RW without any of the 800 plus stacks/themes/plugins it is extremely easy to create a very acceptable Web Site. Now, why would I say that? because I have used Hot Metal, Wordpress, Freeway etc etc etc etc - and other programs are not good for beginners - they all have a steep learning curve.

So once a new user has built a site without plugins - it does not take very long to progress to the use of Stacks for example, and other more complex tools. I for example have purchased a few of the Foundation templates (some from you) which got me up and running very quickly on some of the excellent BWD stacks.

I’m certainly very please that Realmac are constantly introducing new functionality to RW . As @dan has said implemented functionality may not be for everyone - for awhile

RW, to me, is a never ending and growing ‘ecosystem’ which ‘old-hands’ really appreciate.

Just me three and six pence
Ken

2 Likes

@kpryce1
The lack of a visual media browser to see images and select them is an area where RW has fallen behind IMHO and when Dan asked for feedback on the latest beta I provided feedback as I have always been a bit of a warehouse evangelist. I think many users and particularly new RW users will struggle with the warehousing route in this latest release. As such RW is not as easy to use as it could be.

There is an opportunity here to really do something smart and create a genuine easy to use (for everyone) media browser than can mix server based images and local images and make the selection of images a completely visual drag and drop process. Dan hinted at something but not until RW8.

I’m not knocking RW, but just trying to kickstart some new much needed features. The clock is ticking and the competition is fierce and developing at a fast rate. E.g. Since RW7 was released both Blocs App and Bootstrap Studio have had numerous significant new features. I am struggling to think of what new features were added since RW7 was released which is a bit concerning.

As well as releasing regular RapidWeaver 7 updates. We’ve also been hard at work on RapidWeaver 8 for some time now— we think this next release will please a lot of people. We’re not worried about the competition, might be why we’ve been around for more over 10 years :wink:

I’ve included the RapidWeaver 7 release notes below to jog your memory.

RapidWeaver 7.4.1 — June 5th 2017

• Lots of improvements to publishing
  • Other minor bug fixes

RapidWeaver 7.4 — May 12th 2017

• Added support for Pinned Tab Icons
  • Added a preference to turn off Live Reloading in Preview mode
  • Improvements to state restoration
  • Improvements to tooltip UI
  • Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause backup uploads to fail
  • Publish operations (including backup) can now be cancelled
  • Other small bug fixes and improvements

RapidWeaver 7.3.3 — March 29th 2017

• Fixes and improvements to publishing
  • Improvements to addon update checking
  • Podcasts published using the Blog plugin that are not marked as “Explicit” are now automatically marked “Clean”

RapidWeaver 7.3.2 — March 27th 2017

• You can now override your default website address on a per-publishing destination basis
  • Fixed an issue with image sizing and layout in Styled Text views

RapidWeaver 7.3.1 — March 22nd 2017

• Added SVG support for Site Logo, Banners, and Styled Text View
  • Added an option to remove the “Reset” button in the Contact Form plugin
  • Health Check can now check for broken resource links and empty external links
  • Now checks and shows a warning if multiple index files are found the server during a publish (e.g. index.php, index.html)
  • Duplicating a page is now faster as we no longer load all pages
  • Fixed an issue where page migration could be called unnecessarily
  • Internal changes and other minor bug fixes

RapidWeaver 7.3 — February 28th 2017

• Added a site-wide search feature.
  • Added support for theme updates, developers will first need to update their themes to take advantage of this
  • Fixed an issue where canceling during export/publish means that future publishes wouldn’t work
  • Header & Footer text in the sitemap plugin are now saved correctly
  • Fixed a crash when users would try to replace resources with a page
  • RW no longer crashes on save when the offsite page URL is left empty
  • Fixed an issue where ethe addons installer window could not be closed
  • URL for help in publishing now resolves correctly
  • Added a new %page_path% macro. This will return the path to the current page
  • RapidWeaver no longer beachballs when installing lots of themes
  • We now allow plugins to pass requirements to RW via the update URL (important for compatibility)
  • Added a URL scheme for automatically registering RapidWeaver

RapidWeaver 7.2.2 — January 5th 2017

• Fixed an issue where the App Store and Setapp version wouldn’t check correctly for addon updates
  • Fixed a crash when trying to show an alert about missing files in the File Sharing plugin
  • Other minor fixes

RapidWeaver 7.2.1 — December 22nd 2016

• Fixed a crash that sometimes occurs when starting RapidWeaver’s web server
  • Hitting Cmd+Opt+K repeatedly no longer causes weird things to happen

RapidWeaver 7.2 — December 20th 2016

• Improved preview speed, preview status now displays at the bottom of the sidebar
  • Fixed an issue where RapidWeaver would sometimes crash on export/publish
  • Re-written Theme Browser for improved performace and relaibility
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking in the sidebar would cause a crash
  • Potential fix for a crash when closing a document
  • Removed Autosave support as it’s causing more problems than it should be. Boo!
  • Fixed a super bad bug that caused data loss within the blog plugin
  • Fixed an index “out of bounds” error that would sometimes appear on export
  • Other under the hood improvements and memory management changes
  • Pressing Done in the Advanced Settings sheet no longer causes a crash
  • Potential fix for reported issues when saving and closing a document too quickly
  • Fixed an issue with the %banner_path% macro outputting incorrect resource paths
  • Fixed an issue where RapidWeaver would re-upload all resources on every publish
  • Fixed an issue where editing the “prefix” area in the sidebar would cause a crash
  • Fixed an issue where RW would upload all blog pages if the blog was the index page
  • Fixed an issue where the blog categories would sometimes not be exported
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong URL would be used for CSS files on the Blog Archive page
  • Fixed an issue where the advanced settings sheet wouldn’t hide
  • Fixed a crash that would happen when opening a document with a missing theme while the Add Page menu is being shown
  • Fixed some layout issue with the page inspector
  • Plenty of other under-the-hood refinements and fixes I’m not going to bore you with today.

RapidWeaver 7.1.7 — October 25th 2016

• Fixes a crash on export for users running 10.11

RapidWeaver 7.1.6 — October 24th 2016

• Fixed an issue that was causing the Photo Album to crash
  • Photo Album plugin will now correctly mark it’s self as changed
  • Photo Album plugin now sorts by date correctly

RapidWeaver 7.1.5 — October 17th 2016

• Fixed a crash that would sometimes occur when selecting a theme style
  • Deprecated and re-written obsolete CGImage to NSImage conversion method

RapidWeaver 7.1.4 - October 13th 2016

• Fixed an issue where RapidWeaver would sometimes auto-refresh the Preview when it wasn’t needed
  • Added two new API methods for plugin developers
  • New API [RWAbstractPlugin allPagesUsingPlugin] Returns a list of all pages that use the current plugin.
  • New API [RWPage markAsChanged] Will mark a page as changed.

RapidWeaver 7.1.3 — October 10th 2016

• Fix for crash when exporting

RapidWeaver 7.1.2 — October 7th 2016

• Fixed an issue that was introduced in 7.1.1 where RapidWeaver would crash on preview for certain pages. Sorry!
  • Fixed a long standing issue where the crash reporter would hang and not actually send the crash report

RapidWeaver 7.1.1 — October 6th 2016

• Fixed an issue with CSS consolidation on blog subpages
  • Under the hood fixes, nip and tuck, the usual

RapidWeaver 7.1.0 — October 5th 2016

Projects saved in 7.1 are NOT backwards compatible with 7.0.4 or earlier versions of RapidWeaver.
Please back-up your projects before Installing this update.

• Fully compatible with macOS Sierra
  • Opening large projects is now much quicker (after initial migration)
  • All exports are now faster due to concurrency
  • Exporting projects with plugins that generate multiples pages is now much faster
  • Added a sheet to show what RapidWeaver is doing during export
  • Added back in support for re-publishing all files for a single page
  • SiteLok plugin no longers breaks Preview mode
  • Colour arithmetic in themes now works again
  • Fixed an issue where the Filename extension was ignored when exporting (again)
  • Fixed an issue where an updated resource would not get re-published
  • Resizing Gifs now works (animation is not supported in resized gifs, yet)
  • Cleaned up plugin loading code, it’s good to be clean!
  • Fixed an issue under Sierra when using the Web Inspector
  • Updated Voyager theme (Thanks Adam!)
  • FTP setting name changed from “Fast as Hell” to “Fast as Lightning”
  • We’ve fixed up a bunch of issues and crashers with export introduced in the previous beta (sorry!)
  • Fixed an issue where Photo Album pages would not be generated correctly
  • Migration to global data storage now only happens once per page
  • Media queries that span multiple lines will now be minified correctly
  • Fixed an issue where RapidWeaver would crash when you removed a global meta tags
  • Cache busting links option is now saved between launches
  • Fixed an issue where plugins would sometimes fail to load
  • Export should no longer sometimes hang (Refactored manifest generation to prevent conflicts)
  • Minify can now handle non-ascii characters correctly
  • Thai characters no longer crash RapidWeaver’s code view
  • Added a “cancel” button on “change Theme and Apply?” dialog
  • Fixed an issue where Site Notes would sometimes not save
  • Tooltips in page list now look much nice
  • Project window now shows when RapidWeaver is unregistered
  • Preview now works with the Sitemap plugin
  • Fixed an issue with the contact form not saving correctly
  • You can now change the page extension for the home page
  • Many other minor fixes, and under the hood enhancements
  • Added an option to the Preferences to switch off local PHP rendering
  • Running on 10.12 no longer requests the Osaka font to be installed
  • Fixed an issue on 10.12 where the welcome text would be hidden
  • Fixed an issue with CSS consolidation where it would sometimes put the link at the the of the HTML
  • Update Lander Theme to 1.0.2
  • Sidebar code tab is now called “head” not “header”
  • Deleting all resources no longer crashes RapidWeaver, yay!

RapidWeaver 7.0.4 — July 8th 2016

• Fixed a rather nasty memory leak that was introduced in 7.0.3
  • Fixed an issue where the in-built preview didn’t work under macOS Sierra

RapidWeaver 7.0.3 — July 7th 2016

New Theme API: RGBA support for theme colours is now supported by using this new key “RWSupportsAlphaInColours” within the “RWThemeCapabilities” dictionary.

• Fixed an issue that sometimes corrupted plugins when moving the add-ons folder.
  • Fixed some publishing issues (Thanks Gilberto and Co).
  • Fixed exception on export issue (this was caused by users not entering a header name!)
  • Deleting themes from the Theme Browser now works
  • Site and Page meta tag output is no longer duplicated
  • Duplicating page no longer gives issues on Preview
  • Directory listing now works when browsing via SFTP
  • Server Path is now cleared when changing publishing type to local folder
  • Duplicating themes now duplicates theme styles also!
  • Fixed a whole bunch of issues with FTPS
  • Fixed a publishing issue relating to bookmarks
  • Blog plugin now generates correctly URL’s for podcasts (sorry this took so long to ship).
  • Cache busting no longer breaks when using protocol-less URLs
  • Fixed an issue with lists in the style text plugin.

RapidWeaver 7.0.2 — June 8th 2016

• Re-designed code snippets window, yum-o!
  • Added a character counter to the meta tag description field in the page inspector
  • Added a browser title length warning to Health Check
  • Fixed an issue where RapidWeaver would upload too many files (again)
  • Fixed an issue where double clicking an empty space in recent docs list causes a crash
  • Fixed an issues when clicking “Send Upload Logs” button would cause a crash
  • Publishing to a local folder no longer fails if a backup is required and destination is empty
  • Video playback now works again in Preview
  • SVG’s now also work in Preview
  • Fixed a consolidation issue where theme files would be duplicated
  • Tidied up some things behind the scenes for local export
  • Site setting email address field now saves as you type
  • Fixed a crash in the media browser
  • Fixed a crash when toggling the “Hide/Show Classic Themes” option
  • Fixed an issue where exported sites would not use the correct Banner images
  • Updated all the help URL’s to point to the new documentation
  • Adding a resource now updates the content area correctly
  • File alias’s & symlinks are now handled correctly when added to the resources area
  • Update addons window is no longer shown twice
  • Fixed a crash when closing a document while the Health Check window is open

RapidWeaver 7.0.1 — May 25th 2016

• Fixed a dmg theme installation issue
  • Fixed an issue where themes would not be installed in the correct location
  • RapidWeaver now correctly prompts the user to restart after installing plugins that are not upgrades
  • Fixed an issue where addons would not migrate from v6 to v7 for some users
  • RapidWeaver now creates an addons folder on first launch
  • Fixed an issue with alt tags on images blog posts
  • RapidWeaver now loads themes and plugins before we do the license check
  • Fixed the dreaded “Exception while exporting site” error!
  • Fixed an issue with the Crash Reporter!

RapidWeaver 7.0 — May 24th 2016

After more than a year in development we’re thrilled to be able to finally say that, RapidWeaver 7.0 is here. Thanks to everyone for their support during the beta program and all our loyal RapidWeaver users around the world.

We couldn’t have done this with out you. Happy Weaving!

Features

• Overhauled FTP Engine: Super fast, super reliable FTP Engine (No, really it is this time!)
  • FTP Path Browser: You can now visually browse your FTP server to pick a location to publish too!
  • Built-in Web Server: Allows you to preview your entire site locally in a browser without having to export it
  • SEO Health Check: RapidWeaver will analyse your site and will highlight steps you can take to improve SEO.
  • Banner Images: In themes that support this new feature, you can now add a custom banner image to your site, and customise it on each page. Themes that support this feature also include optimal image dimensions to help you size images.
  • 4 Responsive New Themes: Designed by Realmac, Elixir Graphics, MultiThemes, and Yuzool!
  • New, modern OS X sidebar: with translucency, that shows all your pages, resources and settings in one location.
  • Portable Documents: You can now choose to store resources inside your RapidWeaver document, enabling you to take the project between multiple Macs.
  • Multiple Publishing Locations: If you need to publish projects to multiple locations, you can set these up in your project, and choose the server when publishing. RapidWeaver’s smart publishing will also keep track of changes across multiple publishing locations.
  • Local Publishing: The “Export” feature is something we’ve always felt should be considered a way of publishing your site, and now it is!
  • Project Backup: RapidWeaver can optionally create a ZIP file of your project, and upload it to your server when publishing. The file is added to a “secret” location on your server, meaning that while it is downloadable by anyone who knows the cryptic web address, it’s tricky to guess that web address.
  • User-selectable Add-ons Folder: need to save your add-ons in a custom location? RapidWeaver 7 allows you to do this, and will move your add-ons for you! Great if you’re working between machines.
  • Minified Javascript and CSS: RapidWeaver can now optimise your CSS and Javascript by minifying it. Previously, RapidWeaver would remove some whitespace, but this time we’re actually optimising it to be as quick to download and apply to your pages as possible.

Enhancements

• Reorder-able Sidebar: you can now re-arrange the Pages, Resources, and Settings groups in the sidebar, and collapse the ones you don’t need.
  • RapidWeaver’s media browser now supports other, non-Apple, apps including Lightroom, and custom folders from the Finder.
  • Refined Design: We’ve reduced the amount of UI “chrome” that RapidWeaver adds, allowing more space for your website content.
  • Page Inspector: You can now choose to pop the Inspector out into its own resizable window
  • Assets area now support Folder Drag and drop from the finder
  • RapidWeaver now uses the latest Safari engine for lightning-fast Page rendering!
  • Multiple Selection in the Page List: Use Cmd + A to select all of the sidebar group you’re currently viewing. Cmd + Shift + A to select the entire sidebar. You can Duplicate, re-order, and Delete multiple items.
  • New “Hide Classic Themes” preference: This new option allows you to hide the older, built-in themes. If you open a project that uses one of these themes, it will be shown in the Theme Browser while the project is open.
  • Photo Album: now adds an image caption as the “Alt” tag in individual photo pages.
  • New SEO Tab in Page Inspector: Meta tags are now shown in their own tab in the Page Inspector.
  • Support for Customisable Meta tags
  • Easy to use Robot Meta tags, you no longer need to remember the syntax!
  • Added an option to update custom theme styles with the current settings.
  • Greatly improved third party plugin installation, for example, RapidWeaver no longer moves plugins, it copies them over.
  • Option to Opt-In to Beta Updates: If you’re feeling adventurous, and want to see new RapidWeaver features before anyone else, you can opt-in to receive beta updates to RapidWeaver.
  • Site-wide Code: To allow you to better-edit large amounts of site-wide code, RapidWeaver now displays it in tabs, instead of consecutive text fields.
  • New Body Site-wide Code: The “GoSquared” and “Google Analytics” fields have been merged into sitewide code. “Google Analytics” content is now placed in the Head tab, with a new “Body” tab now available for use. RapidWeaver 7 will migrate your existing code from RapidWeaver 6 into this field when generating a RapidWeaver 7 project file.
  • Master Styles / Theme Inspector: You can now collapse / hide the contents of theme variation groups.
  • Lots of UI refinements: we’ve made a huge number of changes in just about every aspect of RapidWeaver
  • Lightning Fast Image Processing: RapidWeaver’s image processing has seen major changes, to both use the latest OS X technologies, and to ensure that ICC Colour Profiles are respected.
  • Turbocharged export: We’ve substantially reworked the way RapidWeaver exports sites, to make it lightning quick.
  • Smaller App Size: We’ve put the app on a diet, optimised images, and made the app quicker to download.
  • Added a new “Copy Macro” button to the resources view (also right-click menu).
  • If a plugin cannot be found RapidWeaver will now offer to search the community site for it

Fixes & Changes

• Quick Look has always been problematic, so we’ve decided to remove it in RW7. You’ll see substantial improvements in file-size as a result (for no portable documents)
  • When dragging an image without a creation date into a RapidWeaver project, a creation date will be added to the image.
  • Theme Browser: Numerous improvements to how RapidWeaver duplicates themes, and handles the duplicates in the Theme Browser.
  • If a Website Address has not been set for your project, RapidWeaver will now prompt you to enter one when right-clicking a page and choosing “Publish Page”.
  • RapidWeaver now has a “Web server logs” window to make it easier to diagnose page errors
  • By default new projects will be created as Portable Documents
  • The default theme for new projects has changed to “Offroad”
    There’s Literally hundreds of other behind-the-scenes changes and fixes to make RapidWeaver faster and even more reliable than ever!
1 Like