RapidWeaver not utilizing all possible connections, slow upload

I set up an account with VyperVPN. I installed the software and followed the setup procedure. Then I connected, but there was no improvement in the number of connections that RW could make for me. Just like before VPN, I started with only 1 RW connection then slowly added another and by the time my upload was almost complete added a third one.

This is still so slow and not acceptable.

Brad,

I’m sorry that this was not the solution for you. I don’t know what to tell you except that in my case it really was not an RW issue. I have the same issue using Transmit as I do with RW and the solution is the same for me. I would at this point reach out to your ISP as they might still be blocking outbound connections even though it is through the VPN.

Keith

Are the transmission speeds faster when using a dedicated ftp program? Is the speed the same for another hosting service? My clients all use different hosters for their sites and I have seen it does depend on the availability of free “slots” at the hosting providers.

1 Like

I still appreciate the help. The RW community is one of the best things about being a RW user!

1 Like

Hi Jan,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this using CyberDuck and found it to be no faster and much less convenient than RW since I have to export, switch apps, then upload.

So it doesn’t appear to be a problem related to RapidWeaver?

1 Like

Hi Neil,
To clarify, exporting a site to my local hard drive, then uploading that same site to my server in no faster overall than waiting for the slow RW publishing. Further, exporting and uploading a single page does not seem like an option. Therefore, having to export/upload for every change I am trying out has me going wonky!

Over 2 months now and my uploads are as slow as ever. Further, half the time I try to publish, RW will not connect until after a restart of the app or it crashes when I try to export.
All in all, this has been maddening, has me looking for other more reliable options to build websites, and has cost me more time than I care to admit.

Honestly, if I were RW support, I would be ashamed of this lack of care for the people who use our software. I just don’t understand this.

Have you tried working with RW support? Maybe checking some of your stacks? I have 4 sites and uploading through RW has been faster than using a dedicated FTP app. So, something might be wrong with what you are adding to your pages? Here is an example. I just bought the stack Expanse. It is very nice, but when I tried posting up some complicated html with lots of links for each line of data, uploading was very slow, initially not showing the page and then taking a long time to view, both in Preview in live. Posting this same code outside of Expanse causes no issues and RW loads it up quickly and properly.

I have not been able to figure out why, nor has Jon who created Expanse. So, I had to resort to a different approach and all is well and uploading is back to full speed. This only happens with the html code, as text and images work quite well with Expanse.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Pete.

Yes, I have been working with RW support. They check in, make me jump through all kinds of hoops and report info to them, then they disappear without a word. This someone else from support jumps in and we start all over, and so on. It’s really been quite frustrating.

Further, I have 4 websites, each using different stacks. They all started publishing very slowly at the same time.

Sorry to hear of your problems. As others have suggested this might be more of an ISP issue, especially if you have tried using a third party ftp product to upload manually. I used Filezilla as a backup and prior to using RW. I have found that using my Comcast account sometimes has brought about slow movement due to overload in our area and having teenagers here in our house…ha, ha. I hope you can figure this out, as I have enjoyed using RW very much and also found their support to usually be good. This is my second year of using RW, as I started off with RW 6. I have really enjoyed the product, plus all the third party stacks available. Most of the providers have been quite responsive, a lot better than when I am trying to get my refrigerator to work properly…talk about companies and repair people that don’t have a clue…but that is another story.

Hey @barchard, I just spent the last hour researching my options for a website building platform. I can’t believe that I am even considering this, but I am so tired of the lost productivity on my end and the utter silence from RW tech support.
Before I go too crazy here, do you have any ideas or options. Ways to test for what the problem truly is? A clean install of RW and it’s components? A way to test for multiple connections with my current ISP, Frontier? Anything?

Thanks

Hey Brad, have not read the entire thread, but it seems that when people mention that it could be your ISP, you are thinking they are talking of your host (Chillidog). I believe when they say ISP, they mean your Internet Service Provider, meaning the company you use to connect to the internet with from wherever you are trying to upload (i.e. Comcast, CenturyLink, or something similar in your area.

1 Like

Thanks for jumping in @zeebe.
You have made an important distinction here. When others have talked about ISP issues, I understood that to be Frontier Fios in my case. Further, I understood the test or workaround to be using a VPN when publishing. I signed up for VyperVPN, installed and configured the software, and tried to publish with RW again. There was no change for me. Even after several restarts and turning on and off the VPN to be sure it was working correctly, there was no change in publishing from RW. Does this mean I can rule out my ISP as an issue?

Thanks again. This kind of troubleshooting help is exactly what I need.

I would not be the one to tell you if you can rule out your ISP or not. The only sure way I would guess would be to (if you have a laptop) go to someplace that has a good wifi connection and see if it works any different on the wifi (as long as it is not Frontier Fios). My suggestion would be a Starbucks, McDonalds or something similar.

If you do not have a laptop, then not sure what to do, maybe someone else will.

1 Like

I haven’t read the entire post either but do you have similar issues when publishing your exported files via an FTP app? I can’t see it being an ISP issue if another FTP app works without issues.

FYI, I finally made the switch to a different ISP. Unfortunately, there has been no change in how much difficulty RW has in making connections.

UPDATE:
Over the last six months, I have tried nearly everything to work around this painfully slow RW upload issue.

VPN didn’t help
A new ISP didn’t help
Several RW updates (not on 7.5.5) didn’t help
RW tech support can’t or won’t help although I’ve tried several times
Cleaning out and replacing many older stacks didn’t help
and more

It seems there are only a few possibilities left.

A connection issue with my host, ChillidogHosting, but Greg says no and I have no reason not to trust him.
Some RW installation issue on my Mac. (Is there a way to do a clean install of RW that makes sense?)
Or still some upload/multiple connection issue with RW that they can’t or won’t address.
I have even considered moving away from RW, but I’m in too deep.

Most of the time, RW will upload very slow. Once in a while, RW will not connect at all, but a RW restart will get things going again. Very rarely, the only thing that seems to get RW working again is a Mac restart.

This has been very costly for me, both in terms of services I’ve tried and productivity wasted.

Any sincere help would be welcomed,
Brad

In re-reviewing this, aside from using SFTP, which you are, I suggest switching to the server hostname (bell) instead of using your domain name. This may be something with SSL validation

-Greg

1 Like

Ho Greg,
As always, I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
I did try to publish in RW with this new server setting. I had RW set for 4 connections and it never got past 3 connections. This is an improvement for sure. Still odd that I can’t seem to publish at full speed.

I will try this trick on a few other sites as well.
RapidWeaver